2018+ Softail Models Breakout

2018 Sport Glides

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 11:44 PM
rich56
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Oto Kakhidze
Among the new softails Low Rider has second best lean angle, with mid controls and taller seat - its actually sportier than Sport Glide.
Also chromed out look, dual analog speedo+tach and that eyebrow visor - man, your bike looks great!
years will pass and 2018 FXLR will look like a through-back to 70-s.

P.S. nice color!
For me the words Sport and Foward Controls don't go together. I like the bags and bikini fairing tho

The following users liked this post:
rauchman (01-28-2019)
Old 02-19-2018, 07:12 PM
oldsoldier181
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 12,651 Likes on 4,354 Posts

So, I am perfectly happy with my 02 RKC. I love that bike. I have put a lot of miles on her.
Then, I saw this. THIS is the bike I want. I dont like electronics on bikes. I have a GPS I can throw on there if needed. I like a nimble bike, but one I can take off for a couple days with as well.
This, to me, fits me perfectly. I have a short inseam. Sat on this, flat footed no issue. Its got a decent sized tank for touring. I can also use it to commute to work. I think that, for me, this is the perfect bike. And, up to now, I wasnt sold on softtails. The models just didnt appeal to me.
This changed my entire view.
I cant wait for spring so I can test ride one. I need to pay down my loan so I am not upside down. I think by next riding season, I will own one of these.
I do have a question though. I am not familiar with the monoshock at all. This has 6 settings. Could someone who has one walk me through the settings on them? I am about 220 lbs, my woman is half my weight. Figure on 30 lbs of gear when traveling. My concern is the combined weight, and what setting to ride at. If someone could address that, I would appreciate it. I searched online, and couldnt find anything.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:48 PM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by oldsoldier181
So, I am perfectly happy with my 02 RKC. I love that bike. I have put a lot of miles on her.
Then, I saw this. THIS is the bike I want. I dont like electronics on bikes. I have a GPS I can throw on there if needed. I like a nimble bike, but one I can take off for a couple days with as well.
This, to me, fits me perfectly. I have a short inseam. Sat on this, flat footed no issue. Its got a decent sized tank for touring. I can also use it to commute to work. I think that, for me, this is the perfect bike. And, up to now, I wasnt sold on softtails. The models just didnt appeal to me.
I cant wait for spring so I can test ride one. I need to pay down my loan so I am not upside down. I think by next riding season, I will own one of these.
I do have a question though. I am not familiar with the monoshock at all. This has 6 settings. Could someone who has one walk me through the settings on them? I am about 220 lbs, my woman is half my weight. Figure on 30 lbs of gear when traveling. My concern is the combined weight, and what setting to ride at. If someone could address that, I would appreciate it. I searched online, and couldnt find anything.
When you buy the bike the Moaners Annual tells you the settings for weight.
I'd say 2 or 3 for just you and 4 or 5 with the handbrake on.
Cheers man.

The following 3 users liked this post by badcooky:
GPHDXLC (02-19-2018), oldsoldier181 (02-19-2018), PaterAnt (09-20-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 09:06 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 345 Likes on 238 Posts

When the time comes I need a lighter bike the Sport Glide would be my choice right now for sure.

Old 02-20-2018, 12:14 AM
Rakthi
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

.... I am not familiar with the monoshock at all. This has 6 settings. Could someone who has one walk me through the settings on them? I am about 220 lbs, my woman is half my weight. Figure on 30 lbs of gear when traveling. My concern is the combined weight, and what setting to ride at. If someone could address that, I would appreciate it. I searched online, and couldnt find anything.
Here are the settings for the FLSB from the on-line owners manual.

Attached Thumbnails 2018 Sport Glides-screen-shot-2018-02-20-at-07.12.00.png  
The following 3 users liked this post by Rakthi:
GPHDXLC (02-20-2018), oldsoldier181 (03-12-2018), PaterAnt (09-20-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 09:20 AM
Navyvette
Tourer
Received 168 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Idahochris
1 - larger fuel tank - 5 gallons compared to 3.6
2 - detachable saddlebags
3 - cruise control
4 - I didn’t like the fat front tire

I’m still wondering about the single front brake though
I was looking at the front brake and the inverted fork looks the same as the Fat Bob. I imagine you could buy the right side assembly and get a wheel designed for dual brakes. The front brake lines split with a block on the bottom of the tree.
Nice bikes, I don’t think you can go wrong with any of them.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:24 AM
Navyvette
Tourer
Received 168 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
For those deciding between the two like abadley, there may be ways to address the shortcomings:
1) Cruise Control is available as an option for the Fat Bob; I got it from Surdyke for about $200. You have to have it enabled by the dealer, so if you install it yourself that'll add a half hour of dealer labor.
I bought the cruise control from my dealer, installed it myself and just asked them one Saturday if a tech could turn it on. He pulled it to the door, plugged in and turned it on in 5 min and told me good to go. I gave him $50 for a tip for taking care of me but they didn’t charge me.

ivoryplayer (02-26-2022)
Old 02-20-2018, 11:13 AM
Idahochris
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI - Saddlemen now has solo seats available for the FLSB. They have the Renegade, Renegade-LS and Knuckle Renegade. The seats are not shown on their website but can be ordered by calling their sales department (Rachel helped me). I ordered the Knuckle.

Saddlemen (02-20-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 01:35 PM
Saddlemen
Former Sponsor
Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Let us know what you need- we will take care of you 800 397 7709

GPHDXLC (02-20-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 05:58 AM
Haarley
Road Master
Received 387 Likes on 196 Posts

They haven't quite hit the right configuration with the new Softail models. I'd really like a bike with the Milwaukee 8, but they haven't quite hit it.

I really like the Sport Glide, but for being "Sport," I don't like that the controls are still too far forward and that it only has one front brake rotor. I don't like that it doesn't have the full-on Harley hard bags; it has these short things, not sure why. The seat height is 26.5", compared to the Roadster's 30.9.

The Fat Bob is cool, but the pipes get in the way of serious bags; the pegs are too far forward, and the seat height is still too low.

Harley has a whole catalog full of great bits, but they haven't brought them all together to make something to go after the FJR and BMW. Fitting bags and a windshield to a Roadster would make a great sport-tourer.

Quick Reply: 2018 Sport Glides