(On the fence) Stage 2 Torque kit for 2018 slim

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 07:01 PM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior
Received 417 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by LIMike

Hey Bowhunter,
the rear progressive shock that was going to be installed with the 12in hell bent bars and stage 2 kit was on back order till the beginning of December. It held up the job a little. My local shop just contacted me 2 days ago saying the shock was shipped. Hopefully they will do the job next week?
I went to another local shop a week or so ago that does Dyno tuning. They told me that they couldn’t tune my bike with the screaming eagle smart tune installed. They said pretty much the same thing that your shop told you. That I could install a different tuner and have it tuned on the dyno. They also said if I ever had a problem they could reinstall the stock tune. They also said there is no guarantee that Harley will not find out. That they know of people who had problems in the past doing that. I have to say, I’m very happy with the way my bike is running now (power and Torque) I personally wouldn’t go with any other tuner other than screaming eagle. With these motors having the sumping problems I would rather not take a chance. I’m excited to see what the bike will be like after the stage 2. I’ll be sure to keep you posted
Sorry to hear about the delay. That always sucks. According to the shop manager here he said as long as they don't do the tuning and hook it up to their computers that there's no way to tell. Apparently their computer system stors the tuning info and my VIN will be flagged if they tune it on their Dyno using my PV.

So I won't have them do the fine tuning until my warranty is up but will use the map Fuelmoto sends me and do some autotune runs when I get the tuning license and will be under their radar.... Hopefully. Haha But the shop manager reassured me that they would have my back so I'm gonna trust him and do it.

Last edited by Bowhunter8607; 11-29-2018 at 07:05 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:19 PM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior
Received 417 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by Thingfish
A lot of the thinking regarding tuning comes from past experiences with Twin Cams. Those motors were great, but severely hobbled from the factory by the EPA. Screaming Eagle’s original race tuner was a fine piece of hardware that eventually got discontinued due to further restrictions. In those days a dyno and custom tune were very important to rescue the motor from factory specs.

Fast forward to the M8....it is efficient and no longer overly lean from the factory. The SE tune and kit is actually pretty good. They are in a better place regarding performance and EPA specs with this new motor and no longer have to destroy their own creation to sell it.

Can you get “more” out of an aftermarket kit and tune? Yes, but it is not the same difference it once was. I think you’ll be happy starting with the SE tuner and still be warranty safe.
I understand that. I actually still have a Race Tuner sitting there as a paper weight since it was married to my 2012 Sportster in 2012. I'm sure the Street Tuner works decently well but I already have the PV and will only be buying the tune license.

On the other hand, after reading your post and considering the risk that the shop manager may possibly be incorrect, I may just have to do like u said, bite the bullet and start out with a Streer Tuner to play it safe and just buy the license and use my PV after the warranty expires.... I'll sleep on it.

Last edited by Bowhunter8607; 11-29-2018 at 10:31 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:40 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowhunter8607
I understand that. I actually still have a Race Tuner sitting there as a paper weight since it was married to my 2012 Sportster in 2012. I'm sure the Street Tuner works decently well but I already have the PV and will only be buying the tune license.

On the other hand, after reading your post and considering the risk that the shop manager may possibly be incorrect, I may just have to do like u said, bite the bullet and start out with a Streer Tuner to play it safe and just buy the license and use my PV after the warranty expires.... I'll sleep on it.
I hear ya. My SERT is still in my Dyna doing its thing.

The street tuner is only $299 so not too bad insurance especially since I have an extended warranty. All I can say for my ‘18 Heritage stage 2 is it pulls hard, no hesitation or flat spots, no misses, no ping, and no decel pop no matter what slip on or baffle has been used....and that’s all without doing any auto tune sessions. So far I’ve been happy.

The following users liked this post:
Bowhunter8607 (11-29-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 01:40 PM
DanBO18
Tourer
Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts

Took my 114 from stock to stage II (torque) and noticed a big difference. Really woke it up. Since scheduled within the first 60 days, it’s all under warranty. I think it’s got perfect, hang-on tight, pull-from-the-line power and it doesn’t even compromise mileage unless I twist the throttle too much. I have no desire to reach for anything more. Runs great now. SE slip-ons have gotten louder over time. I wouldn’t want it louder still, but that’s just me doin me.

Old 12-11-2018, 07:40 PM
Vrizzo
Advanced
Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

Well ended up ordering the stage 2 instead of 3 as well with SE pups/rubber. Throwing some heated grips on while it’s there(sucks since I just had new grips put on 3 months ago). Parts should arrive in about a week then they will come collect the bike(winter snow storm last of South Dakota and still not fully walking from surgery) sound like I get to actually be there for the Dyno so that will be sweet to see.

Old 12-12-2018, 10:25 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Sounds good. It’ll be like getting a new bike. Heated grips will spoil you too. You won’t regret it.

Old 12-12-2018, 10:34 AM
Noisy Cricket
Road Warrior
Received 366 Likes on 271 Posts

After doing a lot of research I ended up going with the Stage III kit, BUT, I live in snow country and the Harley dealer here offers a 50% off parts and labor during Jan and Feb so the cost was worth it. I didn't see the extra money worth the 10 hp for the stage 4 kit and the extra torque and HP in the stage 3 was worth the difference. I have not regretted the decision at all.

Old 12-12-2018, 01:09 PM
Vrizzo
Advanced

I’m with you for the snowy winter in South Dakota but my dealer only offered a 20% discount. For 50% without a question I would have done the lll as that would have easily been worth it for the price

Old 12-12-2018, 02:22 PM
JAColeman
Stage II
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I spoke to the shop manager about my plans to upgrade my 2018 Fat Boy to Stage 1 with V&H Pro Pipe, SE Heavy Breather, and Power Vision tuning. He didn't say a word about warranty issues, however I did not specifically ask the questions. I connected the Power Vision and upgraded the injection map from stock (saving the original map in one of the slots on the device in case I need to go back to the original) and left the wiring under the seat for the next upgrade to Stage 1. I have just removed the passenger pegs (tough job) and am ready to replace the stock pipes with the V&H Pro, then add the SE Heavy Breather, then upgrade the injection map to Stage 1. So once done its going to quite obvious that I upgraded to Stage 1, even if I remove the Power Vision wiring from the bike! What I hope is that it comes down to my relationship with the dealer. In my case the dealer is less than 1 year old and I bought the bike from them (easy sale for them). They are trying to establish themselves the local market and want to develop a loyal customer base. With the tanking Canadian dollar and slowly declining economy in Ontario the last thing they want it to get a bad reputation for warranty issues. I am not sure if the HD US EPA issues have been a problem in Canada.

Old 01-02-2019, 07:26 PM
Vrizzo
Advanced

Ok, bike wa slicked up today even with ice covered driveway and roads. The dealer is installing the torque stage 2 kit, SC slip ons, pro tuner, heated grips(f-you winter) new mirrors, and a windshield for longer trips(f you SD winds. I don’t like shields but 30-50 mph winds here suck) they also placed an order for a legends air ride to lower and make it adjustable. I was going to go with the kit you did LIMike but I missed the air ride from my Roadking so said screw it. Legend kit should be in next week they said. Now just need to have my leg finish recovering and summer to get here....or move like I’m planning

Quick Reply: (On the fence) Stage 2 Torque kit for 2018 slim