2018+ Softail Models Breakout

looking at new Low Rider - owner feedback?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 09:32 PM
AJ88V
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 214 Posts
Default looking at new Low Rider - owner feedback?

Honestly, i just wanted a newer (used) Dyna to replace my 2003, but am now trying hard to not buy a new Low Rider- skipping right past the TC96 and TC103 engines to the M8-107.

My Dyna is set up with nice HD "rigid" leather bags - hold quite a lot and quick release. In the front is a Memphis Shades batwing fairing with a short screen. To me, this makes the perfect cruiser suitable for light duty touring.

My first choice would be the Sport Glide, which is just the Dyna kitted like mine and updated 16 years. But it's probably out of my price range.

The Low Rider comes close and it's the most affordable, Seems to fit my mission and budget.

PLUS for Low Rider
  • MS batwing only needs new side brackets to put on the bike
  • It's already got the tach (yay!).
  • Big fuel tank
  • Lots of ground clearance and lean angle

MINUS for Low Rider
  • Those vertically stacked pipes must really limit the bags you can put on it.
  • Don't like the bend of the bars. Look nice, the height is right, but they come too far back and the bend is wrong - the end grips are bent too much in the rear direction. I like my hands maybe 20 degrees off the cross axis. Also the internal wiring is a (small) pain to redo
  • This thing is tiny! I feel like I'm on a Sportster. I'm short (5'7") and usually prefer mid pegs, but this thing feels really cramped!
I could talk up or down the other models, think they're all great, but they're also all a lot more expensive.

Do you think this Low Rider can be made to fit my mission? Or should I hold off until I can buy something else?

Last edited by AJ88V; 01-14-2019 at 09:43 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:11 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

I LOVE my ‘19. I had a 2015 LR, and a 2016 LRS. The S was also a great bike, but the new softail frame and the sweet M8 motor are a killer combo. Only wish it had dual discs, but I’m getting around it with an Arlen Ness big brake kit. The 107 is plenty fast. I have a 114 stage 3, which is a monster. Couldn’t be happier with the mechanicals.

i’m 6’2” and I don’t find the LR o be small at all. Granted, I have tall bars and a tall boy seat, but that’s half the fun, customizing it to make it your own. At least for some of us. I haven’t found a Harley stock handlebar that fit me, ever.

Yes, the exhaust will be a challenge for bags, but I believe leatherpros makes a set that fit.

I’m still surprised you compare it to a sportster, but hey, to each is own. Like I said, it fits me just fine. It’s a great bike...

Old 01-14-2019, 10:43 PM
AJ88V
Road Master

Originally Posted by Mchad
I LOVE my ‘19. I had a 2015 LR, and a 2016 LRS. The S was also a great bike, but the new softail frame and the sweet M8 motor are a killer combo. Only wish it had dual discs, but I’m getting around it with an Arlen Ness big brake kit. The 107 is plenty fast. I have a 114 stage 3, which is a monster. Couldn’t be happier with the mechanicals.

i’m 6’2” and I don’t find the LR o be small at all. Granted, I have tall bars and a tall boy seat, but that’s half the fun, customizing it to make it your own. At least for some of us. I haven’t found a Harley stock handlebar that fit me, ever.

Yes, the exhaust will be a challenge for bags, but I believe leatherpros makes a set that fit.

I’m still surprised you compare it to a sportster, but hey, to each is own. Like I said, it fits me just fine. It’s a great bike...
So you were able to get the Arlen Ness Big Brake Kit to work on this? Someone elsewhere wrote that it does not fit (thought it was you! )

I've read that the 107 motor stock is almost as good as many modestly built twin cam motors,

Haven't ridden the bike. Today was the first time I've even sat on one (snow day at work - so go to the local Harley shop!). Maybe I'm just not used to sitting so low on a bike. My Dyna Super Glide is pretty much a "standard" as far as Harleys go. I just felt like I wanted more room on this Low Rider, whereas I took the forwards off my Dyna and installed mids, and occasionally want a riser with maybe an inch of pullback on the stock Super Glide bars (just a tad wide, but otherwise near perfect for me)

Somewhat surprised at the lack of aftermarket parts for this 2019 bike. Looks like Harley is the number one source. You can get just about anything under the sun for the Dyna. Examples - sissy bar and saddle bags.

Nice collection of scoots you got there.

Old 01-15-2019, 02:34 AM
Redwally
Advanced
Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I've got an 18 SE 114 stage 4 which goes
I'm 5' 9" put some "Reach" bars on it and it suits me really well.
Clip on rack+sissy bar.
The only thing I would have liked espeicially with the extra power is twin discs

Old 01-15-2019, 04:22 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,837 Likes on 1,212 Posts

I'm putting flatter bars on mine right now. I think a 2-1 exhaust with the single muffler mounted lower could fit some bags. I added cruise control to mine. I'm a Superglide fan and just traded a Street Glide on my new Low Rider. I'm 5'9" or so, the bike fits me fine but haven't ridden it much, just a dealer test ride and a few miles on this one I took home. I want to leave mine stripped down for now so we have different priorities.
I say spend the extra money and get a bike that has more of what you want on it already.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:05 AM
XXTHESANDMANXX
Cruiser
Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

I say go with the SG , cost wise . the low rider is less but in the end by the time you make it into a "sort of SG" you will probably spend the same amount of money , you may save a few bucks ,I also 5 7 and one of my only gripes about the low rider are the handlebars ,which I am about to change out to the "Jaffe 6inch monkey bars" ,I was gonna get the the SG because I like the upside down forks fatter front tire,bigger headlight and the mini batwing ,but that's about all I liked about the SG . I dont like saddlebags so that would have been the first thing I would had taken off.in the end I couldn't justify the cost so I went with the low rider .as for your statement about the feeling like your on a sportster ,that's a good thing , because it show has well the low rider is balanced that it actualy feels like a smaller bike

Last edited by XXTHESANDMANXX; 01-15-2019 at 08:08 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:21 AM
708encore
Cruiser
Received 71 Likes on 33 Posts

I put a Saddlemen Explorer seat on mine, exhaust off of a Sport Glide along with forward controls and I’m waiting on a new windshield from Clearview. Got my bags from Leather Pros. I love it, it’s light, compared to my Electra Glide, doesn’t vibrate like the older bikes and it’s pretty quick without having to do a ton of engine upgrades.

Old 01-15-2019, 09:46 AM
AJ88V
Road Master

Originally Posted by Redwally
I've got an 18 SE 114 stage 4 which goes
I'm 5' 9" put some "Reach" bars on it and it suits me really well.
Clip on rack+sissy bar.
The only thing I would have liked espeicially with the extra power is twin discs
Thanks for all your replies! Exactly the kind of feedback I am looking for.

If the Ness BBK works on this bike, I'd say go for it. Huge improvement on my Dyna.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who doesn't like these bars. I need to really sit on some others and see what they have. Imagine takeoffs will start showing up on eBay as more of this Softail line entered the market.

BTW, is it ok to discuss price on this forum? I think the dealer was making me an excellent offer, but that's partly because of wherew and partly because he's competing with a low mileage 2018 I'm looking at. Gotta admit I'm way more spun up on this than I should be. Would be good to hear what kind of discounts you guys for before I get carried away here. LOL

Old 01-15-2019, 09:55 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Originally Posted by AJ88V
So you were able to get the Arlen Ness Big Brake Kit to work on this? Someone elsewhere wrote that it does not fit (thought it was you! )

I've read that the 107 motor stock is almost as good as many modestly built twin cam motors,

Haven't ridden the bike. Today was the first time I've even sat on one (snow day at work - so go to the local Harley shop!). Maybe I'm just not used to sitting so low on a bike. My Dyna Super Glide is pretty much a "standard" as far as Harleys go. I just felt like I wanted more room on this Low Rider, whereas I took the forwards off my Dyna and installed mids, and occasionally want a riser with maybe an inch of pullback on the stock Super Glide bars (just a tad wide, but otherwise near perfect for me)

Somewhat surprised at the lack of aftermarket parts for this 2019 bike. Looks like Harley is the number one source. You can get just about anything under the sun for the Dyna. Examples - sissy bar and saddle bags.

Nice collection of scoots you got there.
See post #8
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2018-...rake-kits.html

The new softails are only two years old. I'm sure there weren't racks of aftermarket parts the same year the TC Dyna was released. There's a lot of R&D and safety testing that goes into some of this stuff... It'll take a little time I expect.

And thanks!

Old 01-15-2019, 10:24 AM
jpeloke
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my 18. I had them install the cruise control from Harley and it works great. I live in Florida and rode mine to Michigan, Canada, etc. this summer. I thought it was a very comfortable while touring. I installed the HD sundowner seat and raised the bars an inch. I am 6 feet tall and weigh about 190 lbs. Have the quick release windspliter windshield and it works fine. Have the luggage rack and was able to put bag on rear seat and on luggage rack and had all the room I needed. It seems to be running better and smoother the more miles I put on it. I had an XL1200T and rode it from Denver to Pensacola, FL. It just vibrated too much. I'be been riding for 45 years so not new to bikes. This bike is the best current compromise for light, good handleing and touring capability.

Quick Reply: looking at new Low Rider - owner feedback?