2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Woods 22x or S&S 465c cam?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 09:18 AM
irish44
Cruiser
Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Woods 22x or S&S 465c cam?

I've got a 18 FXLR. With a Vance and Hines pro pipe and a S&S air cleaner. What cam would be best for down low torque? Thanks just trying to get some info before I spend the cash

Old 03-30-2019, 09:44 AM
AJ88V
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 214 Posts

If you're looking for low torque (good choice!), the Wood WM8-22X looks significantly stronger than the S&S 465c which looks more like a good peak power cam.

Here's a good read from Fuel Moto
https://university.fuelmotousa.com/a...haft-shootout/

I only wish they had included the stock cam and the two SE cams for comparison.

The following users liked this post:
JatoTheRipper (02-12-2022)
Old 03-30-2019, 10:21 AM
Tozco
Road Captain
Received 208 Likes on 135 Posts

I also have an '18 FXLR and am considering putting a cam in it. I'm curious as to why you want a tourque cam in such a light bike. Do you ride two up? My plan was an S&S c475 because to me this bike needs to move better when you open it up. I don't mind losing some of the torque provided by the stock cam. I like the lope you get from a more aggressive cam too.

Old 03-30-2019, 10:28 AM
irish44
Cruiser
Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Tozco
I also have an '18 FXLR and am considering putting a cam in it. I'm curious as to why you want a tourque cam in such a light bike. Do you ride two up? My plan was an S&S c475 because to me this bike needs to move better when you open it up. I don't mind losing some of the torque provided by the stock cam. I like the lope you get from a more aggressive cam too.
No because I live in Orlando the biggest cause of death for bikers here is being rear ended at red lights. I want to be able to get out of the way as quickly as possible

Old 03-30-2019, 10:45 AM
Tozco
Road Captain

That's always a consideration! Good mirrors play into it. The most dangerous thing to come along in my lifetime has been the cell phone. Drivers have always been horrible.

Old 03-30-2019, 11:10 AM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior
Received 417 Likes on 322 Posts

The 22X is what I will be going with. I like the strong early torque and it actually revs out pretty decently. This seems like a good all around cam for me.

Old 03-30-2019, 04:52 PM
AJ88V
Road Master

Note that both cams boost torque and HP throughout the rev range, so you're gaining on both fronts.

While the FXLR is lightweight FOR A HARLEY, it's still a pretty heavy bike in the grand scheme of things. The big M8 motors are torquey, low RPM motors by nature and increasing the low RPM torque compliments that nature.

But the real issue is where you typically use the engine. Most Harley riders don't run at their power peaks (say 5-6,000 RPM), getting up there only a tiny fraction of the time. But we do use the lower band, 2-4,000 RPM all the time and that is where most riders will see the most benefit.

This is in contrast to sport bikes used on the track where you're trying to constantly use the power peak. But sport bikes on the street aren't ridden this way either. Even they would generally be more satisfying to ride with more like end torque on the street.

So go for whatever you think will bring you the most pleasure - that's why we have choices! But I think most people will get more pleasure more of the time from a torquey low end motor when ridden on the street.

Just one man's opinion

Last edited by AJ88V; 03-30-2019 at 04:56 PM.
Old 03-30-2019, 08:12 PM
Tozco
Road Captain

Good points! It is true they both increase torque across the rev range compared to the stock cam. I'm not sure which way I'll go. I do like the lope that comes with the more aggressive cams. I also like when the power gets more intense with rpm. I dislike a curve where the torque is very strong and even but trails as the power builds. I personally believe that is more suited for a touring bike. The best thing about Harleys are all the choices!!!!

Old 03-30-2019, 09:20 PM
AJ88V
Road Master

Good points! It is true they both increase torque across the rev range compared to the stock cam. I'm not sure which way I'll go. I do like the lope that comes with the more aggressive cams. I also like when the power gets more intense with rpm. I dislike a curve where the torque is very strong and even but trails as the power builds. I personally believe that is more suited for a touring bike. The best thing about Harleys are all the choices!!!!
I hear ya, Toz. My '03 Dyna is like that with the "quiet baffles" in the V&H Straightshots - great torque down low, but the engine just falls flat above about 4500 RPM. Will work on that if I decide to keep the bike 'cause I gotta sell one of them.

Look at the Fuel Moto dyno curves I posted earlier, you'll see even the 'lowest' performing cam is still pumping out 105 HP at the peak. That's a 25 HP bump over the stock 107 M8 motor, or over 30% greater than stock for any of the cams, combined with decent 2-into-1 pipe and high-flow air cleaner. The roll-off for all the cams is pretty mild as well, so maybe it won't be a huge rush to redline (like my Hayabusa or more-so, my 1982 GS1100e), but none of those cams is exactly falling flat either. The only cam that doesn't really roll off on the top end is the Wood WM8-222, and that one makes the worst low-end torque! (but it is very smooth down there and climbs nicely)

Now look at the S&S 475C you're considering:

The S&S 475 almost makes the full 110 ponies, but it does so at about the same point (4400 RPM) as the Wood 22X cam peaks out with 5 HP less). However, the S&S has a very significant torque dip right off the line centered about 2200 rpm, and you WILL feel that every time you take off from every normal start. That dip wouldn't matter a bit with a drag start where you wind up the motor wayyy past that dip and hold it there as you let out the clutch. The 5 extra HP would be significant in the 1/8th or quarter mile runs, but is that really how you ride your bike?

Honestly, I'm sure you'd be pleased with any of those cams. They all make way more low end torque and high end power compared to stock. Cheers!

Last edited by AJ88V; 03-30-2019 at 09:27 PM.
Old 03-31-2019, 01:19 AM
Tozco
Road Captain

Thanks for the thoughtful comments, you give me much information to research and digest. I had an '07 Busa, what a freight train. The only fast HD I've had was actually an early Confederate hellcat with and S&S 100 CI (4"x4") that had an aggressive cam and the super G. It weighed 500 lbs +/- . With that cam and the square engine dimensions it was soft on the bottom end, but really went above 3500rpm.
Thanks again for the info, I'll do more homework.

Quick Reply: Woods 22x or S&S 465c cam?