2018+ Softail Models Breakout

2019 Lowrider “build” and general shit thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 05:12 PM
Crocodile Tears
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AJ88V
Agree 100% on that one. My dealer (Patriot HD in Fairfax, VA) actually has a Sundowner demo seat on the wall, but the one I want to try is the Tall Boy.

Honestly, HD is the only motorcycle brand I know that regularly lets folks take a ride on a new bike to try it out, but it sure would be nice if they had more of their accessories (like seats!) in stock. Lots of guys just bite the bullet and buy it sight unseen, and then it ends up in the classifieds here when they don't like it. (Mchad, are you reading? LOL. God bless you, brother!)
My "local" triumph dealer is on par with Harley, but I've yet to run across a Harley dealer that won't let you take a bike out for a spin. I'm sure this goes out the window with a CVO or whatever.

As for demo seats or the like, bigger cities dealers and higher profit touring bikes seem to be better served. I can get a demo if I run up to Detroit or Cleveland. Toledo seems problematic, though Signature in Perrysburg thus far has been OK to deal with, taking returns when I wasn't thrilled with how certain things shipped. They too have nothing Softail, a decent touring demo selection.

Old 05-30-2019, 05:33 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Originally Posted by AJ88V
Agree 100% on that one. My dealer (Patriot HD in Fairfax, VA) actually has a Sundowner demo seat on the wall, but the one I want to try is the Tall Boy.

Honestly, HD is the only motorcycle brand I know that regularly lets folks take a ride on a new bike to try it out, but it sure would be nice if they had more of their accessories (like seats!) in stock. Lots of guys just bite the bullet and buy it sight unseen, and then it ends up in the classifieds here when they don't like it. (Mchad, are you reading? LOL. God bless you, brother!)
Really? Come on now, I’m not that bad...

I had black front sigs and brackets I was hanging on to for when I eventually bought Öhlins fork carts to match their EXCELLENT monoshock that I put on last month. Was waiting to swap out the trees and sliders with black versions, but that’s not going to happen for a while as the whole job will end up being around $1600. A job for next winter. So I decided to put them on today. Doesn’t look as silly as I thought it might with the silver trees and sliders.

I was also going to pull off and powder the rear fender supports, but PC costs a fortune around here, and the OEM set is only $290 so I ordered them from Surdyke. Need to find a set of rear sigs, which will go on a great bike gear relocation kit. That will leave the option for some saddlebags if I ever wanted them.

Old 05-30-2019, 09:03 PM
AJ88V
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad
Really? Come on now, I’m not that bad...

Everytime I check the classifieds, you've got some "almost new" goodie for sale. Came close on inquiring about your pipes but I hadn't gotten my title yet and they sold pretty fast after I saw them.

Bike is looking really good. Whatever you're doing, keep it up. Someone's gotta keep the economy moving!

Last edited by AJ88V; 05-30-2019 at 09:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mchad (05-31-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 05:36 AM
Dannyus
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

@the kg Nice ride! I really like what you did with removing the plastic box below tank and hiding the cables in the frame, from the pictures it looks much cleaner! Did you use any sort of cover from the bottom of that hole/empty space? I am wondering if having it open can be problematic in any way.

Old 07-11-2019, 03:18 AM
TomBe
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Dannyus
@the kg Nice ride! I really like what you did with removing the plastic box below tank and hiding the cables in the frame, from the pictures it looks much cleaner! Did you use any sort of cover from the bottom of that hole/empty space? I am wondering if having it open can be problematic in any way.
I join the question. @Mchad can you please share more detailed info about it?

Old 07-11-2019, 06:15 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Originally Posted by TomBe
I join the question. @Mchad can you please share more detailed info about it?
Hmm, not sure I know what you are asking me for. I never removed the plastic box if that’s what you’re asking? Perhaps you have me mixed up with the OP, the kg?

But I will take the opportunity to show off mine! Just installed black fork lowers this past weekend. Apart from maybe doing the triple trees over the winter, I’m pretty much done with my blackout project.

Will probably be getting some Pirellis next though. The new fork springs have tightened up the fork and I find myself riding a bit harder now. Some more grip won’t hurt...

Last edited by Mchad; 07-11-2019 at 06:21 AM.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:34 AM
TomBe
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I am sorry @Mchad you are right. I meant @the kg O:-) I found that this is pretty popular DIY mod in the chopper/bobber for Sportsters but I found that it is rising also for Softails https://www.instagram.com/fxbb_bobber/ However @the kg solutions (post #17 https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2018-...l#post18292252) seems to be more clear

Last edited by TomBe; 07-11-2019 at 06:35 AM.
Old 01-03-2021, 04:45 PM
Dcashskater
Advanced
Received 57 Likes on 28 Posts

My Project

Attached Thumbnails -my-lowrider.jpg  
Old 11-24-2023, 02:56 PM
wildandfree
Tourer
Received 279 Likes on 106 Posts

Last edited by wildandfree; 11-24-2023 at 03:03 PM.