2018+ Softail Models Breakout

2018+ Heritage - Deluxe: Seats - Mustang vs. Ultimate vs. Russell Day Long

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2019, 07:49 PM
Gizmo83
Road Master
Received 465 Likes on 267 Posts

Got my Mustang touring seat and pillion. Great quality, great fit and so far pretty comfortable. I like that it’s not ugly I did opt for the riders backrest which is also really nice.

Old 11-26-2019, 08:33 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,164 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by TxSpeedster
RDL is great for a dedicated touring two-up, but comparing it to Corbin’s solo & pillion combo is apples to oranges.
I guess I don't see the apples to oranges here. I see it as more apples to apples. Both the RDL and the Corbin Solo & pillion seats are two piece seats (rider and separate passenger pillion). Both the RDL and Corbin have rider back rest options.

Corbin makes a two-up touring saddle with 12” wide passenger accommodations in the same style as my solo.
Now this one piece two-up touring saddle from Corbin seems more of an apples to oranges comparison to me. Another point... Just because they call it a touring saddle doesn't make it so (particularly for two up needs).

My pillion weighs out at 135 and can easily ride the 10” Corbin for two tanks of gas. If we decide to do some serious touring I’ll add the Corbin two-up saddle to our options.
In either case - the Corbin Classic Solo or the Dual Touring Saddle - Corbin's seats are much narrower than the RDL. For the rider, the wider Corbin (Classic Solo) is 15". For the passenger the wider Corbin (Dual Touring Saddle) is 12". The RDL by comparison is 19" wide for the rider and 17" for the passenger (at least for the custom seat made for me and my better half). Granted, the Corbin Classic Solo for the rider looks like it might provide some decent comfort (for how long...???). For my money I'd still bet on the wider RDL. I doubt that the wife would find either Corbin option for the passenger to be equally as accommodating as the RDL passenger pillion. Seems fundamental.... more surface area to spread out the weight.

I will say the the Corbin Classic Solo combination is a fairly decent looking seat. The Dual Touring Saddle one piece on the other hand... Meh. I'd just as soon go with the RDL in this department as well.

The main reason for choosing the Heritage Classic over the Road King is versatility. Bags on, bags off. Shield on, shield off. Trunk and racks go on and off as needed. Solo, solo + pillion, two-up... To me it’s all about versatility, and having readily available seating options is an important part of that. I even have a matching 8” pillion for stashing in a saddle bag while riding on the solo saddle. Never know when it may be needed.
I don't see the RDL being at a disadvantage when it comes to versatility. It can be ran with or without the pillion. However, this isn't that important to me. I'll probably never ride it without the pillion in place anyway.

All in all the RDL is shaping up to be one hell of a good performing seat. The RDL probably still has some breaking in to do, but it's already performing very well. My top priority was comfort over extend periods of time. The RDL seems like it's going to get-er-done in that department.

Last edited by T^2; 11-26-2019 at 08:52 PM.
Old 11-29-2019, 11:06 AM
TxSpeedster
Cruiser
Received 78 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Tampa Fatboy
I find this interesting, is it comfortable?
It is the most comfortable seat for the new Heritage I have ridden. Perhaps a bit wide for my taste, but after 1500 miles it fits like a glove.

Old 11-29-2019, 11:53 AM
TxSpeedster
Cruiser
Received 78 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by T^2
In either case - the Corbin Classic Solo or the Dual Touring Saddle - Corbin's seats are much narrower than the RDL. For the rider, the wider Corbin (Classic Solo) is 15". For the passenger the wider Corbin (Dual Touring Saddle) is 12". The RDL by comparison is 19" wide for the rider and 17" for the passenger (at least for the custom seat made for me and my better half). Granted, the Corbin Classic Solo for the rider looks like it might provide some decent comfort (for how long...???). For my money I'd still bet on the wider RDL. I doubt that the wife would find either Corbin option for the passenger to be equally as accommodating as the RDL passenger pillion. Seems fundamental.... more surface area to spread out the weight.
Apples to Oranges was not meant to illustrate 1 piece vs 2 piece saddles. (The Corbin Classic solo and pillion actually bolt together underneath the seat, effectively making it a 1 piece anyway) Rather it is my observation that width is not the arbitrary measure of comfort. The 10” pillion you dismiss out of hand based upon width has supported my lady Comfortably through a 700 mile day. Trust me, if she was not happy I would be the first to know about it. (I do take your point about the 15” wide solo. I wish there was a narrower option, but it may depend upon matching frame width of the bike)

I know you are happy with your ride now and that is cool, the time may come when I want a road sofa too. And as comfortable as my current set up is, for any real touring (30 or more days of sustained riding) I would opt for the larger 1 piece saddle. Day after day on the road tends to wear even the toughest riders down. The saddle that feels heavenly in San Diego may feel like it was crafted to coerce confession in the inquisition by the time you reach Toronto. Ask me how I know lol.