2018+ Softail Models Breakout

2018+ Heritage - Deluxe: Seats - Mustang vs. Ultimate vs. Russell Day Long

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 07:57 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,169 Likes on 728 Posts
Default 2018+ Heritage - Deluxe: Seats - Mustang vs. Ultimate vs. Russell Day Long

So initial rides on the Heritage indicate that a new seat may be in order. Looking for input on good replacement options. Comfort for both rider and passenger are a must.

I've got a Mustang Vintage Solo on my Nightster. It's a pretty good seat. Comfortable. Decent looking. Can only imagine that the Wide Touring Solo is even more comfortable. Based on my experience with the MVS, I would tend to give Mustang a look for the Heritage. However, I've seen good words about Ultimate and have read many praises of Russell.

Key concerns... Comfort and impact on seating position.

Both Mustang (Standard Touring) and Ultimate seem to suggest that they maintain the stock seating position. However, I seem to recall reading that the Mustang actually moves you down and back. Down would be OK, but back - not so much. If I recall correctly, I read a post where the Ultimate was said to move you slightly forward. That would probably not be a problem - and might even be beneficial (reach to highway pegs etc.). So what's the story with these seats in terms of seating position?

Couple of other considerations. The Mustang is 16" wide vs. the Ultimate at 15". The more surface area/wider the better for weight distribution/comfort - so advantage Mustang perhaps. However, the Ultimate passenger pillion is 14" vs. the Mustang at 11". Seems likely to be a definite advantage for the Ultimate passenger pillion. Granted, it will likely lead to an additional purchase of the sissy bar relocation kit. I have no idea if there would be a clearance issue with the passenger pillion and saddle bag lids (doubt it). The Ultimate gives you the options to match the stock studs if desired. Both the Mustang and Ultimate can accommodate a rider backrest.

Given what I've been able to glean from other post, I'd be inclined to give the Ultimate seats a whirl. Taking all into account, the Ultimate setup seems to have the advantage.

But then there's the Russell Day Long. I've read about these for years. Based on what I've read, they are supposed to be the nirvana/pinnacle of seats. However, I haven't seen anybody post about their personal experience with them on Heritages etc... I'm not sure how onerous the process would be in getting Russell seats made, what impact they would have on seating position, or how they would look on the bike. Nevertheless... I'm curious.

So any inputs on this subject would be appreciated.

Last edited by T^2; 05-16-2019 at 10:44 AM.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:05 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

Old saying... Nothing is ever easy...

So... Looking at the Ultimate passenger seat... Definitely the width of it is likely a plus for passenger comfort. However, Ultimate highly recommends the Sissy Bar Relocation kit...

Ok.. I can see how the relocation might be desirable.

Here's what it looks like installed..

Installation Instructions: https://ultimateseats.ca/installatio...cation-kit.pdf

First question... By the looks of that image, it appears that the kit pushes the bags farther away from the bike... What a 1/2"?

Second... Wonder if it would work with aftermarket bags like LeatherPros?

Instructions: https://leatherpros.com/content/CB3500%20Inst.pdf

That relocation kit would definitely seem unsightly if the LeatherPros were uninstalled (easily done - quick release) to ride without bags. A scenario that I don't envision every happening in my case, but nevertheless.

The following users liked this post:
ebucky (05-17-2019)
Old 05-19-2019, 06:37 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

Surprised nobody has any insight to offer on these seats.

Old 05-19-2019, 09:14 PM
Cooch366
Cruiser
Received 224 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Russell on a Limited, unsure if this helps you.

H
Originally Posted by T^2

But then there's the Russell Day Long. I've read about these for years. Based on what I've read, they are supposed to be the nirvana/pinnacle of seats. However, I haven't seen anybody post about their personal experience with them on Heritages etc... I'm not sure how onerous the process would be in getting Russell seats made, what impact they would have on seating position, or how they would look on the bike. Nevertheless... I'm curious.

So any inputs on this subject would be appreciated.
Not sure this will help, but I bough a Russell Day Long for my Ultra Limited last year, (unsure because you are asking about Heritages).

My thoughts of it on a Limited:

Seating is somewhat down and back compared to my stock seat. Russell seams to create a pocket that you sit in. I am VERY happy with it. I find it very comfortable and have no regrets with my purchase. You can customize your build as stated on their website as to material, stitching , embroidery etc. I went with leather, and added optional heat.

As you probably know, you will need to submit photos of yourself sitting on the bike so they can properly size it, and will require you sending in a pan to build your custom seat. I had an extra seat to send in and didn’t have any down time.

Russell had quite a backlog but will provide a schedule build date when you place your order and will require your seat pan a week or two before the scheduled build date.

Bottom line one for me is I’m very happy with it, and glad I went with it, even thought it’s unnerving pulling the trigger on that much money, sight unseen without being able to try it out first.

Hope this helps....

The following users liked this post:
finespun automation llc (06-14-2019)
Old 05-19-2019, 09:50 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Cooch366
H

Not sure this will help, but I bough a Russell Day Long for my Ultra Limited last year, (unsure because you are asking about Heritages).

My thoughts of it on a Limited:

Seating is somewhat down and back compared to my stock seat. Russell seams to create a pocket that you sit in. I am VERY happy with it. I find it very comfortable and have no regrets with my purchase. You can customize your build as stated on their website as to material, stitching , embroidery etc. I went with leather, and added optional heat.

As you probably know, you will need to submit photos of yourself sitting on the bike so they can properly size it, and will require you sending in a pan to build your custom seat. I had an extra seat to send in and didn’t have any down time.

Russell had quite a backlog but will provide a schedule build date when you place your order and will require your seat pan a week or two before the scheduled build date.

Bottom line one for me is I’m very happy with it, and glad I went with it, even thought it’s unnerving pulling the trigger on that much money, sight unseen without being able to try it out first.

Hope this helps....
Thanks for the info...

Down would be ok. Back not so much. Wonder how well Russell can keep your riding position intact if you make it a requirement?

The down time wouldn't be a problem. The Heritage isn't my only bike.

The backlog is a killer. According to their website, the next booking is in August.

Amazing that they can come up with an essentially custom fitted seat just from a couple of pictures.

They show only 1 Heritage (pre '18) in their gallery...

Not sure what I think about it's looks. Then again, that's not the priority there.

I've read several comments here and there about the Russel Day Long. I can't recall any that had negative things to say. To the contrary, most rant and rave about just how good/comfortable these seats are. Based on what I've read - the Russell Day Long may be the most comfortable seat attainable.

I've always had an interest in trying one out. But, just the delay alone has me looking at alternatives.

Old 05-31-2019, 09:17 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

Got an Ultimate seat for the Heritage. Spent a few hours this afternoon giving it a whirl. Results? Not as good as I had hoped. In fact, I'd say that it's no better than the stock seat in terms. of comfort...

Hazarding a guess as to why there was no joy...The seat is indeed 15" at the widest part of the base. However, that wide area doesn't have that much depth (see area denoted in red) front to back. General rule of thumb to me is that you need to distribute the weight over the most area possible to reduce pressure points etc. The Ultimate seat just may not have the real estate were it's needed. I spent a lot of time fidgeting to relieve pressure point/hot spots during the ride. The Ultimate seat may allow a little longer in the seat than stock before crying uncle, but probably not by much.

Not all was a Debbie Downer though. The seat moved me slightly forward and up. The move forward was a good thing and the movement up turned out to not matter. Another good thing about this seat is the high back. It definitely holds you in place.

Old 06-01-2019, 08:26 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

Another Debbie Downer point...

This seat seems particularly sensitive to dimpling from beads. Most seats that I've used dimple to varying degrees when using beads. However, most recover (requiring various amounts of time). This one, I'm not so sure. Time will tell I guess. If you want to take advantage of the generous "Extended Test Ride" you might want to keep this in mind. I should have thought of this before I tried it with the beads. As is, I may be stuck with this one.

Old 06-07-2019, 10:28 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

The Ultimate seat recovered from the beads and appears to be back to normal.

I completed the "Extended Test Ride" and have concluded that the seat isn't going to work for me. The seat is good for about an hour or so before it starts to demand your attention. Granted, I haven't put hundreds of hours on the thing to break it in. But I have done a handful of multi-hour rides on the thing - each of which produced the same (undesirable) results.

I lent the seat to a colleague at work who was interested. He tried it out for a day and came to similar conclusions.

Old 06-08-2019, 02:44 PM
Since 1968
Road Master
Received 450 Likes on 296 Posts

Well, that's unfortunate. I really want to find an improvement for my passenger. I haven't ridden more than a couple hours yet and the rider seat is fine for that. Maybe it's a Russell Day Long seat for me. We're going to do some long days on a trip in August, will see if it's as bad as it looks for her and go from there. I might spring for a Sundowner pillion before that trip.

Old 06-10-2019, 06:30 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

So the Ultimate seat has been sent back.

The Mustang Standard Touring Solo seat arrived today. Unfortunately it's a rainy day here today or I would be out test riding the new seat instead of posting here.

Some comparisons...

The Ultimate seat:

The Mustang seat:

I believe that it's apparent that the Mustang takes it when it comes to overall build/material quality and looks. To be fair though, I would have taken the Ultimate if it was indeed the Ultimate in comfort. Unfortunately is wasn't (at least for me).

Here is the hardware that comes with the Mustang:

The Ultimate doesn't come with hardware - uses the OEM hardware instead. Again, the Mustang hardware is an improvement and plus compared to the Ultimate.

Installed pictures:

Sorry, but I never thought to take pictures of the Ultimate installed.

I had wondered if there was any compatibility issues with the stock passenger pillion and the Mustang seat/hardware. Nope. Works just fine. Not that I'll keep the stock pillion - I'll be getting the matching Mustang replacement.

As an aside.... I just want to say that Harley's rear seat post retaining system (it's a stretch to call it such) sucks. I mean sucks with a capital "S". For a premium motorcycle brand - with a premium price tag - this setup is an insult. They didn't even try here (summer interns contribution to the design?).

Again, I haven't had a chance to ride on the Mustang yet, but just sitting on it in the garage, it already shows promise. I won't be able to tell for sure until I ride it, but the seating position seems to be very close to stock. The Ultimate seat definitely moved me forward and up.

The forward nose of the Ultimate seat seems wider than that of the Mustang. The discomfort experienced on the Ultimate was primarily focused in the grundle area and the top most part of the inner legs. I could feel the discomfort/pain from it in that area for some time after completing a few hours in the saddle. Just sitting on the Mustang in the garage suggest that this may not be a problem for the Mustang. But, there is only one way to find out... And the weather man isn't cooperating. Anyway... the difference in the nose of the seat may turn out to be a significant factor.

One thing to note... The Mustang website states:

Front Width: 16"
Ummm... This picture - provided on their website - is more accurate...

The seat is 14" at it widest part between the seams (the actual flat seating surface on top). There is an additional bulge of about and inch outside of the seams on each side. So, depending on how you measure the seat width, it's either 14" or 16".

Last edited by T^2; 06-10-2019 at 06:47 PM.

Quick Reply: 2018+ Heritage - Deluxe: Seats - Mustang vs. Ultimate vs. Russell Day Long