2018+ Softail Models Breakout

New Sport Glide

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 09:51 AM
Sergio22
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Sport Glide

Hi the Sport Glide is my first HD, i'm coming from BMW and Ducati, btw still have the R1200RS at home so the riding position on the Sport Glide is new to me.

On all the previous bike I never had the need to change the seat and the OEM ones were just ok for me, but with the Sport Glide I have to stop every 45 minutes to relive the pain that I have on my coccyx, never happen to me before.

I'm 5,8 beside the pain in the @@ the riding position is fine for me but at this point I believe that I have to change seat, I do not like the HD one (Sundowner) and honestly i do not have idea which one of the other brands can help me; I was thinking on the Saddleman Explorer or the Mustang Wide Tripper or the Mustang Day-tripper, any one with experience of those seat?

Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Thks
Sergio

Old 06-04-2019, 02:56 PM
Tozco
Road Captain
Received 205 Likes on 132 Posts

It could be that the forward controls are what's putting so much pressure on your backside. If your legs aren't real long, they are stretched out straight to reach the pegs and this concentrates the weight of your legs and upper body on your tailbone. I'm six feet tall and I still dislike forward controls because there is no good way to unweight your seat when you ride. I'm sure there are more supportive seat arrangements and others might share their experience. But my point is that this new seating position is as far from what you are used to as you can go. Maybe in time you'll get used to it, plenty of people do big miles on bikes like yours.

The following users liked this post:
Hasher (11-11-2021)
Old 06-05-2019, 09:44 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,527 Likes on 1,393 Posts

Originally Posted by Sergio22
Hi the Sport Glide is my first HD, i'm coming from BMW and Ducati, btw still have the R1200RS at home so the riding position on the Sport Glide is new to me.

On all the previous bike I never had the need to change the seat and the OEM ones were just ok for me, but with the Sport Glide I have to stop every 45 minutes to relive the pain that I have on my coccyx, never happen to me before.

I'm 5,8 beside the pain in the @@ the riding position is fine for me but at this point I believe that I have to change seat, I do not like the HD one (Sundowner) and honestly i do not have idea which one of the other brands can help me; I was thinking on the Saddleman Explorer or the Mustang Wide Tripper or the Mustang Day-tripper, any one with experience of those seat?

Thks
Sergio
Saddlemen got you covered
GTech is probably going to be the most comfortable seat possible you can get for a Softail right now.
Though I think Style wise, the Explorer RS will be closer to the style that fits with the Sport Glide. Eitherway, Saddlemen seats are fantastic long distance.

Old 06-05-2019, 02:22 PM
wittangamo
Intermediate
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Another factor you might consider is reach to the handlebars.

I’m 5’9”, and The Sport Glide was also my first with forward controls. I found I got used to those quickly, but in combination with the stretch to the grips my lower back did feel the strain. When I sat up a little straighter, my hands naturally fell a couple of inches higher and closer than the grips.

What cured the problem was a pair of H-D 4” pullback risers. I no longer have to fold myself into a clamshell and longer rides are much more comfortable. I now find the stock seat, pegs and bars a perfect fit!

Old 06-05-2019, 04:27 PM
HuntWhenever
Road Warrior
Received 861 Likes on 466 Posts

Thks
Sergio
The Sport Glide is also my first cruiser and first Harley. I came from a Super Tenere ES.

So far, I've added a Rox 2" pull-back riser, Kuryakyn floor boards, and Sundowner Saddle. Its pretty comfortable on my daily commute (about 90 miles round-trip) and my wife likes the Sundowner when she rides along.

Old 06-05-2019, 05:17 PM
KMC1
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I literally hate the cruiser riding position - I sold my FLHTK and have a K12GT and and 1190R now. Not going back.

Old 06-05-2019, 05:32 PM
Sergio22
Intermediate

I like the cruiser riding position, is nice to have the leg extended (60 years old here) and I can reach handlebar very well and I do not think that is the problem, eventually I’m gonna try the riser, got riser on the r1200rs and made a word of difference.
for what I read seems that the sundowner is very confortarle seat but to me is ugly as a sin, but eventually I gonna test it.
thks fr your input guys

Old 06-08-2019, 11:45 AM
Royce
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Thks
Sergio
Congratulations on your new bike Sergio! The bike is truly amazing! All good recommendations and comments. I've run Mustangs on previous bikes and loved the ride. That being said, the Saddlemen seats have a great reputation. You might check with the P&A guys or technicians at your local dealership to get their input. WRT risers, I put a set of Rox risers on my bike. They brought my handlebars back about 2" and you can adjust their position. They're much less expensive than new risers.

Old 06-08-2019, 09:56 PM
Sergio22
Intermediate

Ordered the mustang and moved back a little the handlebar we’ll see.....

Old 06-09-2019, 10:31 AM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Ordered the mustang and moved back a little the handlebar we’ll see.....
I was going to suggest the Mustang wide or sport touring. I have sport on the Fatboy and like it's position AND comfort. I did put 2" HD pullback risers on the bars and that didn't require a cable or wiring change. FWIW the stock riser was a solid billet piece and the HD pullback stamped and hollow. They look and work OK though.

Quick Reply: New Sport Glide