2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Sport Glide: Stage I or II?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 07:51 AM
Kevinch
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Sport Glide: Stage I or II?

Yesterday I put a deposit on a left over '18 Sport Glide. Hoping to get a test ride in this weekend; if that goes well & we can work a deal I'll have it in my garage in short order.

I've been planning on buying a smaller bike for years. Love my Ultra Limited; but for some of the riding I do wrestling close to 900 pounds of bike just isn't necessary. While I'll still have my Limited, the Sport Glide seems to be a perfect fit for my particular needs.

This bike will be used primarily for solo rides around town & when I'm on day jaunts with my wife (who rides a -17 TriGlide). I know I'll be fitting a conversion to Heritage floorboards - thanks to Belloc42 for post #36 here listing all the components needed for that project.

What I am debating is the state of tune. I have yet to ride it; still I'm pretty sure I'll at least want to do at least a Stage I & with components that will not void my warranty. What I'm really questioning is whether or not to go with a Stage II Torque kit. My wife's Tri Glide has a bone stock 107 & that bike is smooth. (I've been warned not to touch the engine!) Will a Stage II add vibration? What about overall reliability? Fuel mileage isn't a big concern - but is it affected? I know the cam will add way more power - but what are the downsides?

Thanks........

Old 06-05-2019, 02:29 PM
wittangamo
Intermediate
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

The 107 seems a pretty good match for the 700-pound Sport Glide. It’s very responsive stock, and stage one with a proper tune will give you the same numbers as a stock 114. I haven’t felt the need for a cam, and if you don’t plan to carry a passenger I suspect you won’t either. You could always change your mind later!

Old 06-06-2019, 12:09 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

I did the stage 2 (torque cam) on my 114 Heritage under the 60 day factory warranty clause. With tax and labor it was only $2100 which is not that much more than a good stage 1. I’ve got about 15,000 miles on it and no regrets. I noticed a tiny increase in vibration at first, but either it has smoothed with break in, or I’ve gotten used to it. Gas mileage has taken a minor hit, but I blame my right hand as much as the cam. I had about 1200 miles on it when I did it and I too was worried about messing up such a perfect driving motor, but the warranty extension was too good a deal so I jumped and I would do it again without hesitation.

Old 06-06-2019, 12:18 PM
Kevinch
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by wittangamo
The 107 seems a pretty good match for the 700-pound Sport Glide. It’s very responsive stock, and stage one with a proper tune will give you the same numbers as a stock 114. I haven’t felt the need for a cam, and if you don’t plan to carry a passenger I suspect you won’t either. You could always change your mind later!
Originally Posted by Thingfish
I did the stage 2 (torque cam) on my 114 Heritage under the 60 day factory warranty clause. With tax and labor it was only $2100 which is not that much more than a good stage 1. I’ve got about 15,000 miles on it and no regrets. I noticed a tiny increase in vibration at first, but either it has smoothed with break in, or I’ve gotten used to it. Gas mileage has taken a minor hit, but I blame my right hand as much as the cam. I had about 1200 miles on it when I did it and I too was worried about messing up such a perfect driving motor, but the warranty extension was too good a deal so I jumped and I would do it again without hesitation.
Thanks guys. I doubt I'll find the power lacking on the stock 107. But, I'm pretty sure I'll want to do a Stage I. I did that on my -14 Limited after 1k mles & I still enjoy the result. It isn't so much any real power increase, instead it just felt smoother & more responsive. Even more so is the sound, which I really like. The thing is, with my discount the Stage II torque kit (chrome) will cost me $340 more in parts over the cost of an all HD Stage I. I don't know (yet) what the labor costs will be. I'm thinking that for less than $500 more than a Stage I, I can have the Stage II. I know what the upsides are - just wondering about any downsides.

Old 06-06-2019, 05:49 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member

No downside I’ve noticed. I will say that stage 1 on these M8’s are less required than on previous years. Nice to get a little more sound, but not a lot to improve tune and power wise. These M8’s are well sorted off the showroom floor. No more “lean” condition from the factory etc. you might do ok with just a slip-on for sound. The stage 2 you will notice all around improvement. Will the 107 have enough power? Sure it will. My 114 was great stock. Do I like it better with the stage 2? Absolutely. I had similar concerns to yours when I did it, but I’m happy I jumped.

always some risk to turn bolts on a motor, but the cam is a minimal invasion and your warranty (if you stay SE) will cover you.

Last edited by Thingfish; 06-06-2019 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:32 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,228 Likes on 1,267 Posts

Stage II is where the fun's at, at least on my 114. I can think of no downside other than the cost. MPG stayed the same, power is way up, and I will agree with Thingfish here -- originally I thought vibrations may have increased, but I honestly haven't even given it a single thought in the 15 months since I got the Stage II done.

Parts cost being about $340 sounds right. Labor costs will be more, generally they're in the ballpark of 6 hours' time of quoted labor. But, you should save a little in labor off the Stage I install. So probably around $1,000 more to go Stage II instead of Stage I. So if you're ever going to do it, do it now; that way you get the benefit of slightly lower install costs and you get the cam added to your 2-year warranty.

Old 06-06-2019, 06:43 PM
polbit
Tourer
Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

I'm interested to hear, if you proceed with Stage II, what your thoughts are on vibrations. I really like how smooth the 107 is, and am keeping it at Stage I because of that. Had a bad experience with a 103, going from pretty smooth to crap with Stage II...

Old 06-06-2019, 10:33 PM
DanBO18
Tourer
Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts

I have a 114 and after adding Stage II under warranty, I noticed more power, faster acceleration, louder exhaust, and a nice lope at idle. I never noticed any increase in vibration. The first I even thought about it was due to posts asking about it. I suppose more power coming on faster could be looked at that way. I’d do it again in a heartbeat.

I have exceeded 47mpg afterwards by purposely trying to conserve gas, just as a test. But it’s more fun to use the additional power which of course uses more gas.

I was happy with the bike stock except the exhaust was too tame. It wasn’t like the performance was a problem. Whatever you decide, it’ll be fine. These new Softails handle great! I like the Sport Glides. Congrats on the new bike!

Old 06-09-2019, 05:08 PM
brudford
Tourer
Received 117 Likes on 71 Posts

I just purchased a new 2019 Softail Slim with the M8 107 engine . At the time of sale I signed an agreement from the Harley factory that if I did any modifications like a Stage I upgrade it would void my warranty . Was told I could change out the mufflers to the Vance & Hines Slip on's, that would be ok. But doing the high flow air cleaner box and doing a new map with the Fuelpak would void the warranty for sure . Harley wants you to buy their EPA compliant Scream'en Eagle parts and their tuner, all which will not give you a true Stage I performance . Remember that the Federal EPA has Harley whipped and scared about more $ fines !

Old 06-09-2019, 09:13 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member

Shop manager has an SE stage 4 Sport Glide. He’s getting 130/130 TQ/HP.....all under factory warranty. Not bad at all.

Quick Reply: Sport Glide: Stage I or II?