2018+ Softail Models Breakout

my first upgrade! LED mini lights - need advice with installation!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2020, 04:29 PM
CoolHandKook
Cruiser
Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts
Default my first upgrade! LED mini lights - need advice with installation!

Hey everyone,

So this is my first upgrade to my new 2020 street bob. I bought kellermann atto mini led lights for the front and rear, and their side mount license bracket as well. attached pic shows what I have ordered. I have zero mechanical or electrical ability and could use any advice, pointers, suggestions on tools or connectors I will need to connect the wires I read somewhere in another thread that these posi-tap connectors are recommended:

https://www.posi-products.com/posiplug.html

anything else I should get to make this installation go easier. Once again I have zero mechanical or electrical ability!

thanks in advance!

Old 02-14-2020, 05:08 PM
frontiercat
Elite HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

No, in my opinion (I have a big selection of these), they are for 'under the dash - out of the weather' kind of work.

Typical butt splice, heat shrink work best if you cannot solder the joints.

Old 02-15-2020, 03:04 AM
jtodd
Tourer
Received 178 Likes on 147 Posts

It’s a fun learning experience. I was there once. I’ll give you heretical advice. Read the directions carefully. It can be frustrating at times (although this looks pretty straightforward) but you’ll get better and it gets more and more fun as you go. Dive in. Take it slow. Use the forum and google for advice along the way.

Old 02-15-2020, 04:24 AM
TomBe
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I did the same thing. You can see the results here. Mines are 3 in 1 for the rear:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2018-...l#post18420496
Although it is harder I decided to go with a plug and play style instead of cut the original wired turn signals and solder the new one. I unplugged the original signals and prepared the JAE MX19 Male and Female Connectors and Crimp Terminal Contacts (4 pin version) and LED load equalizer (for front https://shop.thunderbike.de/en/Thund...SAAEgK8yPD_BwE for rear https://shop.thunderbike.de/en/Custo...r-CAN-Bus.html). Soldered the connectors on turn signals and led equalizer, heat shrank the connections. Wrapped the LED eq. with heat shield foam (a car type of under front hood) and placed rear under the rear seat and front placed inside the front hole where cables go inside the frame (behind USB). Nevertheless, as the @jtodd said it si fun learning experience and at the end, you will know your motorcycle like your shoes ;-)

Old 02-17-2020, 03:42 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,473 Likes on 1,412 Posts

Heat shrink solder butt connectors and a heat gun are your friend! A professional job would be to just make up crimp connectors on the new wiring, but you'd need the correct crimp tool and they can be expensive.

The connectors for the front turn signals are in the neck of the bike and are easy to get to once you remove the big rubber grommet. The connectors for the rears are all under the seat on the right hand side of the bike - and again, easy to get to.

For the fronts, unplug the connectors and de-pin them (you can use a needle or piece of stiff thin wire to push the latches in and then pull the crimps out of the connector shell), then attach a piece of stiff, thin wire to the original turn signal wiring before pulling it back through the handlebar (wrap this in tape to help it slide without getting caught up). Now you have a draw wire to pull the new wiring back through the bars again.

Once you have the new turn signal wires back through the bars, you can cut the ends off the original crimped wires and use the heat shrink solder butt connectors to connect them to the ends of your new wiring after they are cut to length. Then push the pins back into the connectors, plug em in and you are done.

The rears are easier as you don't have to pull wires through any tubing. I would advise putting a long section of heat shrink over the wiring that comes standard with the Kellermans as IIRC they use very thin wires. Just heat shrink them all together from the signal to right before the connector to give a bit more physical protection.

Have fun.

Old 02-17-2020, 05:42 AM
CoolHandKook
Cruiser
Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts

Great advice and tips! thank you. What does the "load equalizer" do. Is it necessary? How do I wire them? Is there a US based vendor I can get some from?

Sorry so many questions. thanks so much for your help!

Old 02-17-2020, 06:49 AM
TomBe
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts