2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Low Rider S Cable Lengths

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2022, 09:02 PM
FjallaBrjótur
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Rider S Cable Lengths

Wondering if anyone can shed some light on cable lengths. I got a 12” WCTB (13” total rise)
and am wondering how long my clutch cable needs to be. I measured a 35”, H-D and magnum say it’s a 34” so in theory I should go +6 (42”). I’ve read other threads and testimonies, had a dealer tell me 37”. I mock the bars up next to the stock ones and 37” looks too short and 42” looks too long. I want the cable to look good but am more concerned with going too short. Anyone know best length for this height?

Old 03-27-2022, 05:47 PM
sevebou63
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 65 Posts

That's gonna be tough to decide without taking a physical measurement. I just changed out clutch cable on my deluxe and it was a bitch to get the right length. I went with Carlini 16 inch bars and thought I got the right length. Ordered what I thought was the right length cable from another distributor and trusted his knowledge, but found he was wrong. I used it for one season but decided for safety sake I better get it right. Soooo, I physically measured the length from point A to point B and took a leap of faith and ordered length needed from Magnum Shielding. Questioned my labors the whole time I waited for the cable to come in but low and behold, it fit perfect. As I always say. "If you want something done right, do it yourself." Make sure you measure from the clutch release cover to the clutch lever. Round up from whatever your measurement is if the site has lengths that fall a tad short. I know I have a different bike then you but bottom line, it's the same procedure. From what I read, the housing is what you measure. Look at the Magnum site on how to get this number if you don't know already. Also take into consideration that if you raise your bars, you will have to tilt the clutch lever up a twitch to be able to reach lever comfortably, if that makes any sense and that adds length to the cable as well. Trust me I have gone through this more than once. Long span of time between changes so I forget the little things, but I just swapped out the cable yesterday so it is fresh in my mind. As long as you follow the correct path of the original cable it should be very accurate.
Hope this insight helps. Good luck!

Update: Make sure you know your cable travel as well. They have multiple cables with the housing length you need but have different travel lengths. That can ruin your day if order the wrong one......

Last edited by sevebou63; 03-27-2022 at 05:58 PM.