2018+ Softail Models Breakout

2024 Breakout preload adjuster spring and ball

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2024, 09:20 PM
filobeto
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 2024 Breakout preload adjuster spring and ball

While I was installing the Kodlin lowering kit, I placed the spring and ball from the preload adjuster in a bowl so I didn't lose them. I then proceeded to knock the bowl off the table a few minutes later, and goodbye spring and ball. I went to the dealership today who informed me that I would need to buy an entire shock assembly for $500 because they don't sell the spring and ball separately. Does anyone know where I can source these parts? I think the only purpose is tactile and audible feedback when adjusting the preload, so it isn't the end of the world, but if it's something I can replace, I would like to.

Old 05-01-2024, 06:55 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,319 Likes on 864 Posts

Springs and ***** are available in variety packs on the likes of Amazon and such. I'd say picking up kits that cover the size range you're looking for is about your best shot.

If you know exactly what you're looking for, you can probably buy it individually from McMaster Carr.

Old 05-01-2024, 07:03 AM
filobeto
Advanced

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
Springs and ***** are available in variety packs on the likes of Amazon and such. I'd say picking up kits that cover the size range you're looking for is about your best shot.

If you know exactly what you're looking for, you can probably buy it individually from McMaster Carr.
Thank you.

Old 05-01-2024, 05:32 PM
stratplexi
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,012 Likes on 523 Posts

What he said…

BTW, congratulations on the Breakout. I bought a new 2023 in November. I have contemplated putting a lowering kit on mine too. I would love to hear your thoughts on Kodin and also see any pics of the bike lowered. I am in Springboro…just south of you. Do you ever go bike night at Rip Rap Roadhouse? Perhaps I could meet you there some Wednesday and see yours in person…
thank you

Old 05-01-2024, 08:07 PM
Bob Z.
Road Master

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

I added the Kodlin to my 2020 Fatty - highly recommended and it dropped it about 1 1/2". Rides the same but looks better. Someone had the tool in the Classifieds here, which it appears you will need if doing it yourself.

Old 05-01-2024, 09:52 PM
filobeto
Advanced

Originally Posted by stratplexi
What he said…

BTW, congratulations on the Breakout. I bought a new 2023 in November. I have contemplated putting a lowering kit on mine too. I would love to hear your thoughts on Kodin and also see any pics of the bike lowered. I am in Springboro…just south of you. Do you ever go bike night at Rip Rap Roadhouse? Perhaps I could meet you there some Wednesday and see yours in person…
thank you
Thanks. Always been my favorite bike and I test rode a 2017 in 2017, but the ergonomics on that bike didn’t work for my short legs, so I ended up buying a Slim. Wasn’t crazy about the small tank on the 2018-2021 Breakout, so never considered trading the Slim for one. And then they rereleased the Breakout in 2023 and to my surprise, I could actually comfortably reach the foot controls. Completely sold at that point.

As for the lowering kit, it was easy to install and the only difference I had to make was increasing the preload a bit. I can’t tell the difference from stock. Feels the same to me. I can now flat foot the bike, but need to have the seat trimmed a bit as it is still a bit too wide for me.

I’m close to Rip Rap being in Tipp, and will swing over on occasion. Let me know when you head up this way.

Last edited by filobeto; 05-01-2024 at 10:06 PM.
Old 05-01-2024, 09:56 PM
filobeto
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I added the Kodlin to my 2020 Fatty - highly recommended and it dropped it about 1 1/2". Rides the same but looks better. Someone had the tool in the Classifieds here, which it appears you will need if doing it yourself.
Agreed. Great kit. Easy install. I bought the same tool on Amazon for $30 cheaper than the Kodlin tool. Worked great. Rides the same and definitely looks better.