2024+ Touring Models Discuss the currently offered Touring Models

Check your radiator hose!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2024, 09:21 PM
Erratikmind
Stellar HDF Member
Received 224 Likes on 184 Posts
Default Check your radiator hose!

For those with a 2024 RG/SG, keep a watchful eye on your radiator hose, located under the bike.

On a multi-day ride on my 2024 RG out of Las Vegas, I find myself stranded in Folsom, CA. Yesterday, Saturday, my check engine light and temperature lights lit up.

Long story short, Harley Davidson of Folsom said that my radiator hose has a puncture. They didn’t have the hose or clamps to make the repair. Told them to overnight the needed from the Motor Company.

I’m writing this from my hotel room. Hopefully, HD of Folsom receives the parts on this coming Tuesday and I can start my ride home on Wednesday morning.

There a have been reports and photos of the radiator hose hanging exposed under the motorcycle, which makes it very susceptible to damage.

There should be skid plate underneath the motorcycle, at the very minimum. Once I get home, I’ll be reaching out to HD.

As such, to all of my fellow 2024 RG/SG riders, check your radiator hoses!

The following 6 users liked this post by Erratikmind:
BrandonSmith (05-21-2024), Gizmo83 (05-20-2024), jammerx (05-20-2024), mjwebb (05-19-2024), Mr. JHammond (05-19-2024), South Jersey Dave (05-21-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-19-2024, 09:30 PM
Taxgod4u
Road Master
Received 1,033 Likes on 473 Posts

Sorry to hear your troubles but thanks for the heads up. If you have AAA or some other "travel/tow" card they should cover your hotel and food under the trip interruption coverage.

The following users liked this post:
Erratikmind (05-19-2024)
Old 05-19-2024, 10:29 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,778 Likes on 4,542 Posts

Originally Posted by Erratikmind
For those with a 2024 RG/SG, keep a watchful eye on your radiator hose, located under the bike.

On a multi-day ride on my 2024 RG out of Las Vegas, I find myself stranded in Folsom, CA. Yesterday, Saturday, my check engine light and temperature lights lit up.

Long story short, Harley Davidson of Folsom said that my radiator hose has a puncture. They didn’t have the hose or clamps to make the repair. Told them to overnight the needed from the Motor Company.

I’m writing this from my hotel room. Hopefully, HD of Folsom receives the parts on this coming Tuesday and I can start my ride home on Wednesday morning.

There a have been reports and photos of the radiator hose hanging exposed under the motorcycle, which makes it very susceptible to damage.

There should be skid plate underneath the motorcycle, at the very minimum. Once I get home, I’ll be reaching out to HD.

As such, to all of my fellow 2024 RG/SG riders, check your radiator hoses!
that's not them hanging down in your pic is it? I went and looked and although mine are tucked up enough to not be dangling down, you are right, they are exposed and unprotected..they should have at least used the full length sheathing on them like they partial covered some of the hoses..until I can figure out something, I just wrapped some electrical tape around the hoses, realizing it's a feeble attempt but felt like I had top do something temporarily as I ride a lot and have several long road trips coming up ..it happened to you so it can happen to any of us so thanks for the heads up tip!

Erratikmind (05-19-2024)
Old 05-19-2024, 10:50 PM
Erratikmind
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Taxgod4u
Sorry to hear your troubles but thanks for the heads up. If you have AAA or some other "travel/tow" card they should cover your hotel and food under the trip interruption coverage.
Thanks! Yes, I have AAA Premier RV. Thank you for the reminder.

Old 05-20-2024, 05:36 AM
touchdown
Supporter

Received 1,685 Likes on 959 Posts

If that's your hoses hanging in you pix, I would re route them to be protected. Hope they get your parts in. An old boat fix, small piece of copper tub and two clamps should work temporarily .

Erratikmind (05-20-2024)
Old 05-20-2024, 06:16 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,647 Likes on 3,408 Posts

I rode 6 hours without my water pump working. You should be able to ride as long as you’re not stuck in traffic. Yes I wanted it fixed but I soldiered home keeping a very close eye on my water and oil temp. I hope they get you fixed up.

The following 2 users liked this post by Notgrownup:
Erratikmind (05-20-2024), Rogue1 (05-21-2024)
Old 05-20-2024, 09:44 AM
Erratikmind
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by touchdown
If that's your hoses hanging in you pix, I would re route them to be protected. Hope they get your parts in. An old boat fix, small piece of copper tub and two clamps should work temporarily .
The picture illustrates how the said hose is prone to dangling loose.

I’m going to call HD of Folsom in a little while to verify that the parts have been ordered and are being shipped overnight. Riding solo, it’s a 2 day ride home for this old timer.

Old 05-20-2024, 11:02 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,778 Likes on 4,542 Posts

this leads me to think that your support bracket may have been broken or some other reason, than the hoses are prone to dangle loose...mine are tucked up underneath and I can't even wiggle them or move them by hand to try and get them to dislodge and 'dangle' down..the far left after the hose sheath covering is the a support bracket ... I probably shouldn't have bothered stupidly wrapping tape on them after all

The following 2 users liked this post by mjwebb:
BrandonSmith (05-21-2024), Erratikmind (05-20-2024)
Old 05-20-2024, 11:07 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,584 Likes on 4,652 Posts

Wrap the punctured part of the hose with silicone tape, the repair will outlast the rest of the hose...

Link Link

The following 2 users liked this post by Dan89FLSTC:
Erratikmind (05-20-2024), springer91977 (05-21-2024)
Old 05-20-2024, 01:50 PM
luckiestiff
Road Master
Received 652 Likes on 292 Posts

I’m going to call HD of Folsom in a little while to verify that the parts have been ordered and are being shipped overnight. Riding solo, it’s a 2 day ride home for this old timer.
If I'm not mistaken they're not open on Mondays. Might look at the silicone tape to get you home before the end of the week
ETA- Auto Zone reinforced heater hose and hose clamps would work as well. Get home then get it fixed properly.

Last edited by luckiestiff; 05-20-2024 at 02:00 PM.
Erratikmind (05-20-2024)

Quick Reply: Check your radiator hose!