Air Suspensions All you Air Ride Suspension Owners can discuss your Rides here

Air Suspension Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 01:11 PM
tunaman
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 203 Posts
Default Air Suspension Recommendations

All, just got through searching the forums for good links for air suspension recommendations, but came away with little other than a real good thread on the SAS setup. I'm posting this in the Softail forum, as I'm sure the experiences differ between the family models to some extent.

I've decided I want to go with air suspension soon, as I ride far too often mixed (75% solo, 25% 2-up) to be adjusting the shocks for each ride. I stiffened the stock settings up a bit to accommodate my wife and saddlebags, which was about right. Now when I ride solo it is too stiff for my preference.

Can you guys give me some good recommendations as far as what quality air suspension systems are available, so I can narrow my research a bit? I'm not too interested in the lowering aspect, although I believe that will be a side benefit, but I don't want to get a setup that will turn out to be a perpetual headache.

Thanks to all in advance for your input!
Roger

Old 09-03-2008, 01:18 PM
JROCKER
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a hi/lo which is nice but my friend has a platinum bleed feed which is better imo.

Old 09-03-2008, 01:28 PM
CrawdadAZ
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try this link for a number of systems available. I'm sure you will get many opinions on which is best.
http://www.tejasthumpcycles.com/Part...nd/rearend.htm

Old 09-03-2008, 02:09 PM
beaureed445
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the Legend Air System, and I've been happy with it so far. One down-side is that I have to drop the shocks when draining the transmission, because they cover the plug under the bike. I do find them more "bouncy" than stock shocks.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:24 PM
JROCKER
Tourer

Yeah hi lo same deal gotta drop one shock to drain tranny. actually just unbolt the rear bolt and shock will twist and you can remove air fitting, the eas you would have to drop the whole unit cause it is one piece

Old 09-03-2008, 03:25 PM
Nostalgic07
Road Captain

IMO it would be the SAS suspension system, because of the compressor built-in the shocks....No need to look for another mounting location!!

Old 09-03-2008, 05:26 PM
JROCKER
Tourer

Not really a big deal to mount a compressor

Old 09-03-2008, 05:46 PM
Nostalgic07
Road Captain

Originally Posted by JROCKER
Not really a big deal to mount a compressor
No it's not...but it's more conveniant to have it all together!...and it doesn't hurt that their product is quality!!

Old 09-03-2008, 05:46 PM
tunaman
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 203 Posts

Thanks for all the opinions and input so far, folks. It's appreciated.

I do really like the concept of the SAS unit - looks clean, simple and well-built. Anyone have experience with the ride? What are the most comfortable units out there?

Also, what mounting options are there for the late-model Fatboys if I get a compressor unit?

Roger

Old 09-03-2008, 06:10 PM
beaureed445
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The SAS unit is very nice (for convenience factors), but pricey. Hi/Low systems run about $1k, Legend runs about $1100 - 1200 (depending on black/machined/chrome shocks), and SAS runs about $1600. That's a big jump, in my humble opinion. Now, I do like the idea of the compressor being built in, and not having exposed air hoses, such as the Legend System.......but I can deal with the risk of blowing a hose, and having to ride home "rigid" to save myself $500 plus labor. Just my thoughts.

Quick Reply: Air Suspension Recommendations