Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test NVX NVPA4 400W 4-Channel Amplifier (Class D)

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 12:56 AM
AAWAV
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Test NVX NVPA4 400W 4-Channel Amplifier (Class D)

Used test Equipment
Velleman HPS140 Oscilloscope; 4 100W 8Ohm Pwer Resistors on Home Made Heat Sync
2013 Street Glide – All testing has been done using the bike (while running!)
50Hz and 1KHz oDB test tome (WAV file)
Pioneer DEH-X9500BHS2013 Street Glide (4V pre-outs)
Speakers used during audio test: Front Polk MM651 (2.7ohm), Rear JBL P963 (2ohm)
FM antenna - simple Wire antenna (sorry - still need to find my old stock sweep)

Impressions
Dimensions: 1.5 Inch high, 4 inch wide, 5.5 inch deep.
Compact design, 2 will (easily) fit in batwing (up to 2013) next to each other (perhaps need to trim bottom off the Speedometer and RPM meter; I had those trimmed already).
The amp comes with double sided Velcro – 2.25 inch by 4.25 inch 1 piece (quality unknown/not tested).
A 12AWG fuse line with 30A fuse is included, which is not sufficient in my opinion (12 AWG power line).
Speaker and power line connections are with screws – All are too small in my opinion (10AWG will not really go in!).
Unit does not have any connectors sticking out of the “square box”, except when you hook up your high level speaker or low level (RCA) inputs.
Outputs have a plastic cover over them that can easily be removed.
Amp is 2 ohm stable (Bridged 4 ohm stable)

Results
Input Voltage:14.3V DC (Motorcycle power while running; 10AWG power line, both + and Ground connected to the battery).
1 channel (FR) tested. Results below as shown on the oscilloscope.

107 Watt @ 2ohm (~14.6Vac)
62Watt @ 4ohm (~15.6Vac)

Amp supports bridging, but this has not been tested (basically the result should be around 215 Watts at 4 ohm – 2 channels as the output Vac will double).
During Audio sound test (4 channels), the sound was overall more or less neutral, with the perception of some lack of powering low frequencies.
Overall perception of loudness compared to my own amp on the bike (PA RZ4.2000D) is the RZ4 goes louder without distorting.

FM reception: I got the impression the overall FM reception is pretty good but did notice several stations in the 95-98 isg range had noise on them. I would expect losing some reception (hit and miss depending on the amp unit) as the amp is a class D. So no guarantees here regarding keeping your FM.

Conclusion
For the price of 200 dollars, I think you should save yourself some money and go with SS PN 5.420 or PA RZ4-2000D, unless you want to run 2 amps (8 speakers), want both amps in the fairing and want each speaker to have its own channel (advice: get 2 ohm speakers then). 2 will fit in a batwing (up to 2013- cannot speak for 2014 and later). Or simply want to install amps in your bag(s)
Disclaimer: The above test is done as objective as possible but audio perception is subjective to a human beings hearing.

Last edited by AAWAV; 01-13-2015 at 11:36 AM. Reason: added results FM and equipment
Old 01-13-2015, 12:58 AM
AAWAV
Road Warrior
Default Pa rz4-2000d (~ ss pn4.520)

This is just a short description - no document/details...

I have to correct my findings i posted 9 months or so ago on another forum... I was DEAD wrong... I did not run the bike at the test back then and the PA RZ4-2000D DOES react to input Voltage level (power!).

Results:

Input Voltage:14.3V DC (Motorcycle power while running; 10AWG power line, both + and Ground connected to the battery).
1 channel (FR) tested. Results below as shown on the oscilloscope.

145 Watt RMS @ 2ohm
102 Watt RMS @ 4ohm

This is way BELOW Claimed RMS power, but even any retard knows the PA claimed power of 250W at 2ohm is complete BS.
The PA RZ4-2000D is basically the SS PN4.520 and with that in mind, the 2 ohm RMS is ABOVE specs and 4 ohm dead on!
Using this amp you will most likely lose some or most or all FM radio stations (or even none; it is like flipping a coin).
I lost some...

fits in the Batwing

Old 01-13-2015, 01:14 AM
Little Mike
Road Master
Received 94 Likes on 24 Posts

AAWAV, nice test/review. Have there been any amps that you've tested that didn't respond to input voltage? If so which ones? I ask because as I read your second post I had a thought, as frightening as that is to everyone including myself. I began to wonder. How many guys are setting everything up in their garages and tweaking out their gains without the bike running. Only to take it for a ride and wonder why it all of a sudden sounds bad because the increase in input voltage is causing it to start distorting.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:11 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

Did you try FM with this amp?

Old 01-13-2015, 11:30 AM
AAWAV
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by troop
Did you try FM with this amp?

yes - forgot to post in the results (I will update after this post) - I put it up on the HU (I got bracket) - I only got simple wire antenna, still need to find my old sweep and hook up).
I got more stations with this amp than the RZ4.
got the impression 95.5- 98.5 range was a bit weak (some noise/crackling going on on the stations), but then again, in the garage with "bad antenna"...

Old 01-13-2015, 05:06 PM
tdgriff
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AAWAV
yes - forgot to post in the results (I will update after this post) - I put it up on the HU (I got bracket) - I only got simple wire antenna, still need to find my old sweep and hook up).
I got more stations with this amp than the RZ4.
got the impression 95.5- 98.5 range was a bit weak (some noise/crackling going on on the stations), but then again, in the garage with "bad antenna"...
very nice write up my friend thanks for taking the time to do that. I have to say I picture your garage with old refrigerator boxes full of wires and another one full of old amps and speakers. I've only been in the audio stuff for 2 years now and I'm already starting to collect a bunch of stuff. I am looking forward to you testing the BT amp I would like to see what you come up with. what is the possibility of the same make and model amp having the same output or do you think it would differ?

Old 01-13-2015, 06:56 PM
dirtracin23
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tdgriff
very nice write up my friend thanks for taking the time to do that. I have to say I picture your garage with old refrigerator boxes full of wires and another one full of old amps and speakers. I've only been in the audio stuff for 2 years now and I'm already starting to collect a bunch of stuff. I am looking forward to you testing the BT amp I would like to see what you come up with. what is the possibility of the same make and model amp having the same output or do you think it would differ?
I can tell you what's NOT in those boxes huh WAV. .

Old 01-13-2015, 08:38 PM
AAWAV
Road Warrior

I do not have boxes in the garage, but I did find this one still in the family room... left overs from NYE party (everyone was into the Moscow Mules, so ran thru almost 2 gallon of vodka!!!!
guess what I am going to work on this weekend while testing the amps....
cleaning up that box...

Old 01-13-2015, 10:38 PM
dirtracin23
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AAWAV
I do not have boxes in the garage, but I did find this one still in the family room... left overs from NYE party (everyone was into the Moscow Mules, so ran thru almost 2 gallon of vodka!!!!
guess what I am going to work on this weekend while testing the amps....
cleaning up that box...

So much for legitimate test results.

Does that Oscope of yours measure BAC ?

Old 01-14-2015, 01:12 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

What happened to good old Bud Light? I must be getting old. LOL

Quick Reply: Test NVX NVPA4 400W 4-Channel Amplifier (Class D)