Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audio System FAQ's

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 08:36 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

a little late to the party but good info Little Mike..

Old 05-10-2015, 12:10 AM
Racin929
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
a little late to the party but good info Little Mike..

Ditto!

Last edited by Racin929; 05-18-2015 at 05:43 PM.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:12 PM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

I want to verify that what i read in the first post and what I am doing are correct.

I have an after market head unit (I have on hand from a car I used to own) that I am installing into an aftermarket batwing (just got new, has four holes for speakers, two per side) with four used stock HD 5.25" speakers (I know there not good, but they were free and work for starts). The speakers are 2ohms input and the head unit is 4ohms output, If I run two speakers in series on each side then they would equal the 4ohm output from the radio, correct?

Old 06-17-2015, 01:20 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by blueangel73
I want to verify that what i read in the first post and what I am doing are correct.

I have an after market head unit (I have on hand from a car I used to own) that I am installing into an aftermarket batwing (just got new, has four holes for speakers, two per side) with four used stock HD 5.25" speakers (I know there not good, but they were free and work for starts). The speakers are 2ohms input and the head unit is 4ohms output, If I run two speakers in series on each side then they would equal the 4ohm output from the radio, correct?
You got it bud.

Old 10-19-2015, 03:19 PM
Scooter869
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with 2014 street glide amp installed

Have 2014 and looking to put a amp in the bike do they make a wire harness to plug and play don't want to cut and splice wires I have Rockford fosgate amp I need the info I can get

Old 10-26-2015, 10:02 AM
SG-Chris
2nd Gear
Default AMP Connections

I have this AMP that was apparently on my bike when I bought it used and not connected. anyone know how to correctly wire it up. I have not seen one before with the input as "+" only. Also not 100% sure what the "com" port is for...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Also if anyone knows how to get in touch with the guys at Street Star Designs that would be helpful too.

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Audio System FAQ's-connections.jpg   Audio System FAQ's-overall.jpg  
Old 10-26-2015, 01:53 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Chris. I would venture to say the reason it wasn't hooked up is because it utilizes what's called a floating ground (com - common ground) between left and right inputs and the HD system does not work like that. It's separate + and - for each speaker and they're isolated from each other.

So in other words;
left + from radio to amp input LT+
right + from radio to amp input RT+
then either left or right - from radio to amp input COM

problem is, no head unit that puts out more than 2 or 3 watts per channel is going to use a common ground anymore. They did away with that years ago when power output of head units started climbing.

My suggestion is toss it and get you something you know will work before you wind up destroying your head unit.

On the cheap, you can grab something like
this this
and it will work perfectly fine for you and sounds pretty decent too. I've used them a few times.

Old 10-26-2015, 06:14 PM
SG-Chris
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
Chris. I would venture to say the reason it wasn't hooked up is because it utilizes what's called a floating ground (com - common ground) between left and right inputs and the HD system does not work like that. It's separate + and - for each speaker and they're isolated from each other.

So in other words;
left + from radio to amp input LT+
right + from radio to amp input RT+
then either left or right - from radio to amp input COM

problem is, no head unit that puts out more than 2 or 3 watts per channel is going to use a common ground anymore. They did away with that years ago when power output of head units started climbing.

My suggestion is toss it and get you something you know will work before you wind up destroying your head unit.

On the cheap, you can grab something like this and it will work perfectly fine for you and sounds pretty decent too. I've used them a few times.
Thanks for the advice. My intent was a new amp anyhow. Just thought maybe I was getting lucky when I pulled off the fairing!

Old 04-11-2016, 09:21 PM
jmroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok not sure if I post this here so if I need to move it et me know riding a 12 FLTRU with stock head unit and boom amp with boom speakers on the fairing and tour pack. Looking to upgrade fairing and tourpack and possibly better amp and HU. Budget is around 1K and I'm planning on doing the work myself, should like to retain handle bar controls and my goal is to do this once only. I am not DIW super savvy and would like to not have to splice wires but can follow instructions so I'll take all the suggestions I can get

Old 04-12-2016, 05:53 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by jmroadglide
Ok not sure if I post this here so if I need to move it et me know riding a 12 FLTRU with stock head unit and boom amp with boom speakers on the fairing and tour pack. Looking to upgrade fairing and tourpack and possibly better amp and HU. Budget is around 1K and I'm planning on doing the work myself, should like to retain handle bar controls and my goal is to do this once only. I am not DIW super savvy and would like to not have to splice wires but can follow instructions so I'll take all the suggestions I can get
Since you've already invested in the boom setup, I would start with the speakers first. Replace those boom audio speakers with something of better quality in a 2 ohm version to match that amp. Wrap the fairing speakers with polyfil, line the rear pods with polyfile, and see how you like it. If you think you need more then go for the amp replacement at that point. The speakers will have been already upgraded so you won't have to replace those.

My suggestion for front and rear speakers is the Infinity Kappa 62.11i.
Amazon.com: Infinity Kappa 62.11I 150W 6.5-Inch 2-Way Kappa Series Coaxial Speakers: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Infinity Kappa 62.11I 150W 6.5-Inch 2-Way Kappa Series Coaxial Speakers: Car Electronics

You will need a set of v-twin adapter rings for the rear pods - http://www.vtwinaudio.com/store/prod...r-adapter-kit/

You will need a set of speaker adapter rings for the fairing as well.
http://www.vtwinaudio.com/store/prod...apter-rings-2/

Quick Reply: Audio System FAQ's