Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new set up

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 09:29 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
Default My new set up

Well, I got my stereo installed on the Roadking. I did a Sound stream PNR.520D in the right bag. I put Polk DB651s (6.5) in the fairing lowers (using the Matazu pods) I have the Harley boom stereo that goes on my windshield. I removed the Harley amp and used the Soundstream for both sets of speakers since it has separate gain controls for front and rears channels. I am using an iPod for sound with a Pac signal booster. It sounds great. I haven't got it out on the road yet but should get in a few hundred miles tomorrow. I am hoping to be able to wear earplugs to kill the wind (tinnitus in both ears from an IED going off 30 feet from me and years driving trucks...) and still hear music. High expectations I know...The only issue I have is a pop when I power it down. The amp is grounded to the battery so I think it may be the Pac booster (preamp). I am going to take it off tomorrow and see if it still does it...I'll get some pics up tomorrow but wanted to get this out there tonight. I know there are a ton of folks that want a stereo on their Roadkings and I think I have found a solution...

Old 02-07-2015, 05:51 PM
pp6000v2
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And here I always thought the windshield system was a self-contained amp/speaker combo. Were you able to retain the handlebar volume controls? I can't tell by the instruction sheet exactly how the controls/amp harness is wired, but it looks like you could possibly use the full harness and be able to hook the wires into the soundstream amp for Remote-in, signal-in, and -at least for the windshield speakers- signal-out.

Old 02-07-2015, 06:11 PM
backplay
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default For What It's Worth

There is a specific order in which audio equipment should be turned off and on. Audio gear components can emit a power spike, which is heard as a pop or pow when turned on or off in an improper sequence.

Your system is probably all on or all off with one switch, which is not a good thing. Easiest way to remember is when powering up, amps should be turned on last. When powering off, amps should be powered down first.. But WAIT a few seconds before kicking off everything else. Amps store energy and need to discharge this energy, and it can take a few seconds or you'll still get the pop. If this isn't possible then take your chances.

If you can't remember the order try to remember the acronym, LOFO; Last on First Off.

Old 02-07-2015, 06:23 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by backplay
There is a specific order in which audio equipment should be turned off and on. Audio gear components can emit a power spike, which is heard as a pop or pow when turned on or off in an improper sequence.

Your system is probably all on or all off with one switch, which is not a good thing. Easiest way to remember is when powering up, amps should be turned on last. When powering off, amps should be powered down first.. But WAIT a few seconds before kicking off everything else. Amps store energy and need to discharge this energy, and it can take a few seconds or you'll still get the pop. If this isn't possible then take your chances.

If you can't remember the order try to remember the acronym, LOFO; Last on First Off.
I am using an iPod so there is no way to do this...

Old 02-07-2015, 06:24 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by pp6000v2
And here I always thought the windshield system was a self-contained amp/speaker combo. Were you able to retain the handlebar volume controls? I can't tell by the instruction sheet exactly how the controls/amp harness is wired, but it looks like you could possibly use the full harness and be able to hook the wires into the soundstream amp for Remote-in, signal-in, and -at least for the windshield speakers- signal-out.
I used the speakers by themselves. I eliminated the amp and controls it came with. I am using the iPod volume control. You could probably wire it like you said but there is no real benefit that I could think of...

Last edited by Northbound Southerner; 02-07-2015 at 09:34 PM.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:15 PM
backplay
Road Master

You still have to have something powering the speakers. The ipod with it's tiny output cannot power a set of speakers on its own.

Old 02-07-2015, 09:30 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member

You still have to have something powering the speakers. The ipod with it's tiny output cannot power a set of speakers on its own.
It's a four channel amp...

Old 02-07-2015, 09:45 PM
backplay
Road Master

My mistake. I thought you said earlier you used the speakers by themselves and eliminated the amp and controls. I understand you're using the volume control on the ipod. As long as it works for you that's all that matters...

Old 02-07-2015, 09:46 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member

My mistake. I thought you said earlier you used the speakers by themselves and eliminated the amp and controls. I understand you're using the volume control on the ipod. As long as it works for you that's all that matters...
Is there a better way to do this? I did eliminate the amp and controls but I am using the other channels on the Soundstream to power the windshield speakers.

Old 02-07-2015, 10:48 PM
backplay
Road Master

Originally Posted by themouth!!!
Is there a better way to do this? I did eliminate the amp and controls but I am using the other channels on the Soundstream to power the windshield speakers.
There are always other ways of doing things. If the amp, control unit and speakers were all separate, it would enable you turn each one off individually. Which in a professional setting, like doing sound for a band, major act or a big stereo system in your home, you always want to turn the amp on last and off first. This eliminates the pop, which in a big powerful system can blow the speakers. I don't think you are putting out enough power to cause damage to your speakers. Even though a pop may be audible at times, I don't think it's enough to worry about.