Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biketronics system with Kenwood KDC-X898 need settings help

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 11:54 PM
bteski
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Biketronics system with Kenwood KDC-X898 need settings help

I am looking for info on the different settings for this head unit to make it work with this system. I have changed it all around & want to see what might be the best setup. My music choices vary from country to rock to whatever. I just installed the Hogtunes lids with Biketronics 6x9 speakers so that finishes the tunes for now. Biketronics 7.1 in the fairing, 6.5's in the lowers. Alpine SPR-60 in the pods suggested by Bill @ Biketronics. Biketronics 4180 amp, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X898 with Biketronics install kit & the V twin audio water cover. I can't speak highly enough about Bill @ Biketronics.
This system rocks I know there are louder cooler but this flat works.
Thx for any help.
Cheers Bob

Last edited by bteski; 04-24-2015 at 12:12 AM.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:18 AM
Eshaw301
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Most will tell u to leave the settings flat and turn the stereo to 3/4 volume and adjust from there. Most will tell u to use a multimeter and adjust. What I have been doing lately with great results is turning the volume on my radio to 3/4 and turning the amp gain up just loud enough to hear the music and adjust all my stereo sound from there. I pick my equalizer settings, bass boost, etc and then I turn the amp gains up until I hear distortion then turn down until distortion goes away. Been working great for me so far so I hope this helps.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:29 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Eshaw he's asking about setting up the Kenwood HU. The BT4180 doesn't have any gains to set. I'm sure someone will chime in with the best settings they've found with this HU.

<CALayer: 0x5c0b6180>

Old 04-25-2015, 05:20 PM
duglaura&flhti
Road Warrior

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts

Welcome to the club, love my 4180 and speaks. Smiles.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:18 PM
ridedaddy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

When I get home from work I going to check on my bike in the garage, I think you have stollen my stereo!! We have the exact same setup except for the pod speakers, I stuck with bt on those as well. Not sure what settings specifically your asking for help with the excelon has tons but here goes.
Bass +3,+4
Mid +3,+4
Treble +6,+7
Bass boost 1
Loudness 1
I have played with some of the setting in eq pro as well but will have to go check the bike to give you that. My music is blue toothed from my phone to my kenwood. With these settings I can play at volume levels 28-32 (35 is max) depending on the song distortion free. It's loud!

Last edited by ridedaddy; 04-28-2015 at 08:21 PM.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:09 AM
AAWAV
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ridedaddy
When I get home from work I going to check on my bike in the garage, I think you have stollen my stereo!! We have the exact same setup except for the pod speakers, I stuck with bt on those as well. Not sure what settings specifically your asking for help with the excelon has tons but here goes.
Bass +3,+4
Mid +3,+4
Treble +6,+7
Bass boost 1
Loudness 1
I have played with some of the setting in eq pro as well but will have to go check the bike to give you that. My music is blue toothed from my phone to my kenwood. With these settings I can play at volume levels 28-32 (35 is max) depending on the song distortion free. It's loud!
Please Please do yourself a fav and stay away from Loudness and Bass boost and all that kind of crap at HIGH volumes. you are already "boosting" the Bass and those 2 on top of it at high volumes will kill your sound (if not speakers). if you are listening to mostly Rock related, mids are usually lower than Bass and Treble.

But then again, sound is subjective to YOUR ears....

I got the Kenwood 998 now, mainly for the HPF/LPF front and rear and the 10+ band EQ. to me worth the extra 50 bucks or so

Old 04-30-2015, 11:59 PM
ridedaddy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by AAWAV
Please Please do yourself a fav and stay away from Loudness and Bass boost and all that kind of crap at HIGH volumes. you are already "boosting" the Bass and those 2 on top of it at high volumes will kill your sound (if not speakers). if you are listening to mostly Rock related, mids are usually lower than Bass and Treble.

But then again, sound is subjective to YOUR ears....

I got the Kenwood 998 now, mainly for the HPF/LPF front and rear and the 10+ band EQ. to me worth the extra 50 bucks or so
I hear you on the bass boost and loudness settings, and believe me I've tried it all. The problem is it sounds flat without it. I'm not sure if it's becouse I Bluetooth most of my music? with the bass boost (max3) and loudness (max4) on level 1 I can play at volume levels at or above 30 with most music without distortion. I always play my music at a clean volume level so I really don't think I will cause any damage. I chose the 898 to stay away from the 12 band eq. I figured it would be impossible to adjust on the fly. The 898 also has a hpf and frequency centers for bass mid and treble. I'm adding lowers now so I will put some more time into tuning soon. I wish I knew more about the frequency settings myself. If anyone want to give a tutorial that would be great!!

Last edited by ridedaddy; 05-01-2015 at 12:02 AM.