Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Install aftermarket amp and speakers

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 07:06 PM
gettomedic
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Install aftermarket amp and speakers

Hello all,
I own a 2014 SGS and would like advice on after market amp and speakers. For those that installed aftermarket ie JM corp, Hogtunes, Biketronics etc
did you do your own install or have someone do it for you? Any problem encountered doing the install yourself? For those familiar with a web site called
Law Abiding Biker , Ryan Urlacher has a video doing install for Hogtunes amp and speakers. Did you have difficulties removing the white speaker pods?
His video suggests removing the inner fairing to make it easier to reach the lower screws on the white speaker pods.
Any problems encountered would help, as I am looking to do install myself.
Thanks to all

Old 11-08-2015, 12:09 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Just finished installing the J&M 500W Amp and also the 6.65 J&M Fairing Speakers in my 2014 SG Special. Also installed the Hogtunes Lids and HT speakers as the HT speakers came included in the package. The HD flash was simple. Also met up with the J&M gang at the Lone Star Rally and they further dialed in the amp. Sounded really damn good! The HT lid speakers sounded good for the price but a guy I met down there had lid Focals thus just today I installed the Focal AC 6x9s in the lids. Damn this is this now a sick system for my listening taste.
As for the actual install, it really was simple. Maybe a few hours. Take your time. Regarding those damn 6 bolts that attach to the white speaker casings, all I used was one of those fancy closed ratcheting crescent wrenches that has the hinge on it for challenging angles. Took maybe 5 minutes to get all six off. 2 of the 6 you can get a socket on with a short extension.
The plug and play was as advertised. Depending on your budget, the only thing I would do different would be to not waste my time with the HT speakers as the clarity is just not there, thus dial in the right lid speakers before you throw good money at a product you may grow out of fairly quick. My lid speaker pecking order was Focal, JL Audio, then a toss up between Infinity, Kicker, Pioneer Premier etc... Just depends on your budget v wants. I chose the 6x9 lids because I am into a bit more thump. If you are wanting more balanced speakers you might go with the round lid speaker cut out. Plenty more marine options for sure in the round. As for the lid wiring harness, again make certain you know where you are headed speaker and lid wise and you can plug and play the entire project. Only soldered the Focal connections as that was an after thought.
Again very happy with my set up. The J&M stuff is damn good and not sure if I will ever put the Focals in the fairing as I really do like the clarity and range of the current fairing J&M Rokkers, but if I did make a change it would be Focal. Regardless of the forum drama the entire J&M staff did an amazing job supporting me along the way. Had an appointment at the Rally and my bike was pulled in within 2 minutes of arriving. They were no BS guys and very passionate about getting me the sound that matched my taste and desires.
Let me know if you need any support along the way and I will do all I can to assist.
The disclaimer is that I don't know shix about this audio stuff other that my own ears, and walking the install walk, so take it all with a grain of salt.
T.

Old 11-08-2015, 01:11 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

Medic

Look up a post by Scott14SG he's got great pics of his install.

As for J&M:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio...ales-crap.html

Old 11-08-2015, 08:24 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailwind
Regardless of the forum drama the entire J&M staff did an amazing job supporting me along the way.
It's evident you haven't been around long enough to know a damn thing about the J&M drama and why it is the way it is. Sorry you drank the koolaid and purchased his overpriced junk. Let's see if you feel the same way about his customer service when your overpriced junk fails. Good luck with that.

2010 Limited with some stuff

Old 11-08-2015, 09:28 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member

Not sure how you know what I paid for the product but since you have access to my bank account, did I at least get a good deal on the Focals?

Dude, step away from the ledge!!! Based on your link, J&M sent PMs as a very cheesy sales strategy. Report it, delete it, get over it!!!!

The entire system I have installed is damn good for me!!!!! If you don't like any of it or all of it, don't buy it. If you don't like the guy that sent you the PM, that's kindergarten web board shix thus I don't care to waste my energy on it.
At the end of the day, if you actually knew what I paid for the system and the sound that is being delivered........................ It's called Negotiating 101.
Not one hickup regarding getting the EXACT sound that I desire other than wasting time with the packaged HT lid speakers.

Just saying!!!!!

T

Old 11-08-2015, 10:11 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

If you don't like any of it or all of it, don't buy it.
It's not about US not buying it. It's about new members coming to this forum looking for advice and since we're not selling anything to anyone we try to give them the best advice so that don't spend ANY of their money on junk even if they think they got a great deal. So when a new guy says this is really good stuff --- it's not man. This advice applies to a number of products and we try to lookout for fellow riders. Browse the forum you will find lots of post advising guys to stay away from the Fosgate package, HT amp, etc. Your post may have good intensions, and thanks for contributing ---- but I'm telling you man when comparing it to other products there is MUCH better than J&M (especially for the price).

There's lots of bad history on this forum with John. It's not solely that he sent me a PM bud....let this sit in for a minute -- JMJOHN is banned from the Audio forum on a forum he pays to advertise. Think about the, he's not allowed here. There's no good reason for that, and that't who you did business with.

Also if you want Bass the Focals are the wrong 6X9's. Awesome speakers for clarity and SQ but if you want thump, those aren't it.

Glad you are happy with your purchase, when its time to upgrade --- hang out on this forum more. We're a helpful group with lots of collective knowledge on bike audio (so yes we know what your bike sounds like because we've tried those exact same products you are discussing).

Ride safe man.

Last edited by haze324; 11-08-2015 at 10:28 AM.
Old 11-08-2015, 11:06 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member

Haze,
It's all good and thanks for the post. Been lurking on this Forum for over a year now and find it to be extremely useful, but lets not forget that it is still just a Forum. I could spend endless hours viewing the Audio posts and never really confidently come up with a component solution for my ride based on an inter-web forum. A handshake, cranking the actual product up, touching it, pricing it, installing it, etc... all comes into play for each Forum viewer. The set up I installed works perfect for my decision matrix, but since my cycles will never ever be completed projects, I am certain that I will continue to appreciate all of the viewpoints that are shared here. Thanks!!!!!

Getting back on point, Gettomedic, for the 2014 SGS it is pretty damn critical that you purchase plug and play if you want to conduct the install yourself efficiently with limited audio experience. The sky is the limit if you want a pro to conduct the install. As for the inner fairing, no need to remove it for fairing speaker install if you have the right tool, i.e. get the right tool and it will save tons of time and energy. As for the amp and speakers, as you can see it is very subjective and all about your individual situation. Take your time and touch and hear the components before purchasing and installing as the perfect sound for some is like nails on a chalk board for others.

Ride Safe all, and thanks very much for the very valuable input regarding all of these HD Topics!!!!!!

T.

Old 11-08-2015, 11:18 AM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by gettomedic
Hello all,
I own a 2014 SGS and would like advice on after market amp and speakers. For those that installed aftermarket ie JM corp, Hogtunes, Biketronics etc
did you do your own install or have someone do it for you? Any problem encountered doing the install yourself? For those familiar with a web site called
Law Abiding Biker , Ryan Urlacher has a video doing install for Hogtunes amp and speakers. Did you have difficulties removing the white speaker pods?
His video suggests removing the inner fairing to make it easier to reach the lower screws on the white speaker pods.
Any problems encountered would help, as I am looking to do install myself.
Thanks to all
Mine was on a Road Glide, but difficulty level has to be the same or very close, I was a tiny bit apprehensive doing my own install, however it went smoothly and I couldn't be happier with the result. Would I pay someone to do it? Heck no,,,, DIY sir,, only way to go,, unless you don't know a screw driver from a socket,, and the only screwdriver you know has orange juice involved...

Old 11-08-2015, 12:44 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Haze,
It's all good and thanks for the post. Been lurking on this Forum for over a year now and find it to be extremely useful, but lets not forget that it is still just a Forum. I could spend endless hours viewing the Audio posts and never really confidently come up with a component solution for my ride based on an inter-web forum.

Totally disagree with this assessment. There are many here who have come up with a component solution based on THIS forum. If you have been lurking on the forum for a year it would be a no **** conclusion. As HAZE said our goal is to prevent guys from spending their hard earned money on a product they are not going to be happy with BEFORE the snake oil handshake.

Old 11-08-2015, 01:56 PM
scarin
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely spend some time looking around and reading whats here in the fourm. I started out with the BT6.5s and the RF PBR300, Swapped out to the BT7.1s. Just re-did the install to the BT4180 and the BT7.1Pros and I am putting the BT6.5s in rear pods. Just the new BT amp with the Pros is excellent and in my mind a huge improvement, in terms of clarity, volume and distortion.

That being said, I have taken my fairing off numerous times and pulled, reinstalled and ultimately removed the plastic pods. They are a royal pain and the first time took me a long time to get in to the annoying bolts. Best solution I found was coming in from the opposite side with a long extension and a wobble. But nothing a little time and aggravation wont solve. Changing to the BT brackets was great, much easier to install and remove (had to take them off to install the Pros).

Wiring on the RF was simple and with the BT was even easier.

My biggest word of caution is be careful when you reinstall the fairing screws, according to the dealer I cross threaded mine and unlike older bikes there is not yet an easy way to replace the inserts on the inner fairing. Mine still holds just fine and hopefully I wont have to take the fairing off again. Truthfully not sure how I did it but live and learn.

Guys like Haze and Gann and many of the other regulars have great information and are worth paying attention too.

Good Luck and enjoy your new sounds

Quick Reply: Install aftermarket amp and speakers