Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Ultra classic CVO

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 03:08 PM
David Seal
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Ultra classic CVO

I am considering an upgrade on the audio on my Screaming Eagle. I talked with Fred at Arc and this is what he told me:

"Now, if that particular bike has the multiple amplifier system on it, it will require some rewiring, that is if there is an amplifier under the rear tour pack,
that was a limited run system but held a different main harness from 98% of HD's overall production."

My question now is where can I find specs on the system I have? Harley can't seem to answer my question. Perhaps all I really need is a speaker upgrade.

Has anyone else had any experience with this "multiple amplifier system"?

Old 02-24-2016, 03:10 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,236 Likes on 1,000 Posts

What are your plans for an upgrade? Speakers, amp, new HU?

Old 02-24-2016, 03:19 PM
David Seal
Intermediate

I like the H/U since I only use Sirius as a source. I was just looking for a little more punch. The rear speakers do and always will suck due to location so I was thinking about a simple plug and play like the MPAK6 from Arc. Now Fred tell me the above. Hereis what Harley calls the system:
Advanced Audio System by Harman Kardon, XM Satellite Radio, CB/intercom, amplifier
Front and rear speakers

Old 02-24-2016, 03:30 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member

For the price of the mpak6 you could replace the speakers and a different amp a get much more return for your money. If you have a shop manual I see this as very doable. Even easier if you give up the HU.

Old 02-24-2016, 04:17 PM
David Seal
Intermediate

Ok, but I see no reason to change H/U's. It gives me all I need for features and wont have to do a lot of extra wiring. have done all that I want in competition car audio.

Old 02-24-2016, 04:30 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member

Keeping the stock HU really isn't a problem if you want to keep it. Also just replacing the speakers on the system you have now will not reap any benefits. As far as the multiple amp system on your bike, the only way to tell would be to pull the cover off of the fairing and see if there's one in there. My bet would be that the only amp you have is the one mounted under the tourpack. Next you need to decide whether you want to go the mpak6 route or go with an aftermarket amp and upgrade speakers.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:29 AM
David Seal
Intermediate

Definitely go with Arc. They are one of my sponsors and I wont have to pay anywhere near retail. I a just trying to figure out what system I currently have since Fred says there were both 2 and 4 ohm versions of this one put out. I admit, I am trying to get away from pulling it apart just to ohm it out, and then put together again just to wait for parts. My bike is the same one as the one in the last video featured this link.

http://www.arcaudio.com/p/m-p-a-k-6?pp=24

Old 02-25-2016, 08:05 AM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member

Received 467 Likes on 307 Posts

You might be better off piecing an Arc system together than the MPAK.

Multiple ways of doing this, all depends on how much you want to do.

Just adding fairing speakers? or you want to have all 6 upgraded?

The issue lies in trying to make the Boom amps work with the Arc addition(s), you'd be better off taking the Boom stuff out and selling it, then add the new system.

You most likely have 2 Boom amps, 1 in the fairing for the fronts and 1 under the tourpak for the rears (lowers will run off fairing). This is the moco's way of fleecing you some more on upgrades I'm afraid.

The MPAK 6 could work, I'd imagine you'll want to run those in the fairing and let the Boom handle the rest. Might require some more hardware so you can get a signal from the Boom amp to the Arc amp.

It might be as simple as just sending the fronts to the Arc amp and the rest to the Boom but I have a feeling that just sounds to easy

Interested in seeing what other say, hope it work out for you though. I love the Arc stuff, big fan!

Old 02-25-2016, 08:40 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member

David how many speakers are you currently running on your bike, 4 or 6?

Old 02-25-2016, 01:20 PM
David Seal
Intermediate

Four, but from what Arc is telling me they recommend not even using the rear speakers:

"We have upgrade plug and play kits that will allow you to keep your stock source.
however with the ultra classic the rear speakers are a complete pile as far as application goes and we recommend leaving them off of the stock source.

This is the kit that is most popular with the 99-2013 bagger riders

http://www.arcaudio.com/p/m-p-a-k-6?pp=24

So I'm sure you have done extensive testing on these?
yes.... unfortunately

Now, if that particular bike has the multiple amplifier system on it, it will require some rewiring, that is if there is an amplifier under the rear tour pack.That was a limited run system but held a different main harness from 98% of HD's overall production.

Under the liner in the tour pack, or mounted under the shell itself?

No noise issues with upgraded high performance chips etc?

Ok, looked at all the videos. Probably not going to add the speakers in the lowers.

we have had no noise issue complaints...
had an odd end complain on much older bikes with AM radio
retail on the kit is $769.

That my price?
Let me know. What about the newer bikes that have the audio in the bag lids?

Wed 2:37pm

I just looked. There is an amp under the tour pac. Maybe I just need to upgrade speakers.

Wed 4:14pm

Busy, busy

Yeah if the amp is under the tour pack it is a bit more challenging. Not plug and play like the rest of the systems.

As far as the speakers to just do an upgrade you will need to check the impedance of the speakers to make sure they are 4 ohm, A few versions of that system had 2 ohm.

Would that amp drive those speakers? Cant find specs on amp anywhere.

I believe IIRC that Harman amp puts out 50w per channel

You have played with them. What do you think? I'm not expecting it to sound like the Mustang.

Lol, yeah I know. Important thing is just get a multi meter on the stock speaker to check the impedance and we can go from there."

End of conversation with Arc.

Chat Conversation End

Quick Reply: 2006 Ultra classic CVO