Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm Done Settling for Boom Handlebar Speakers on a Road King...

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 10:46 AM
Hazzardousmat
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have this set up with windshield https://www.uniqcyclesounds.com/prod...nt=14173855430
. I can hear it at 70, has handlebar control with FM/MP3/USB. I do not have to have it full volume to hear at highway speeds but with any handlebar system your not going to get full concert sound from them. As far as stereo sound, I should have gone with the Ultra.

Old 03-13-2016, 10:48 AM
Hazzardousmat
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Also considering upgrading to their 4 channel Fosgate amp and adding speakers to the rear so the wife can enjoy as well. Dont know, might just deal with it till I trade it off in a couple of years.

Last edited by Hazzardousmat; 03-13-2016 at 10:50 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-13-2016, 07:59 PM
jayhawkclint
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

This system on my 2013 RK rocked out:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...twing-etc.html

I used some cheap RF speakers at the time because it was my first motorcycle install and I ride year-round, rain or shine; didn't know what the weather was going to do to the speakers. Since that time I have experienced enough downpours to feel okay putting just about anything with a butyl surround and poly cone out in the rain. Highly recommend Infinity Kappa, Hertz HCX, or Biketronics Pro depending on your budget. PBR amps will fit under the seat. Cerwin B52 will mount out of the way to the rear of the saddlebag with 3M automotive adhesive tape, but some people say the downward angle traps heat in the amp. You have to build a disconnect harness that runs through the saddlebag. MoCo did mount an amp in the same location on the 2016 SG CVO, if you want to look at one in the dealership as a template.

Originally Posted by Hazzardousmat
Also considering upgrading to their 4 channel Fosgate amp and adding speakers to the rear so the wife can enjoy as well. Dont know, might just deal with it till I trade it off in a couple of years.
The 2 channel PBR300x2 run in parallel is a better amp than the 4 channel PBR300x4 running dedicated channels.

Last edited by jayhawkclint; 03-13-2016 at 08:07 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:43 AM
The Cheesehead
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jayhawkclint
This system on my 2013 RK rocked out:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...twing-etc.html

I used some cheap RF speakers at the time because it was my first motorcycle install and I ride year-round, rain or shine; didn't know what the weather was going to do to the speakers. Since that time I have experienced enough downpours to feel okay putting just about anything with a butyl surround and poly cone out in the rain. Highly recommend Infinity Kappa, Hertz HCX, or Biketronics Pro depending on your budget. PBR amps will fit under the seat. Cerwin B52 will mount out of the way to the rear of the saddlebag with 3M automotive adhesive tape, but some people say the downward angle traps heat in the amp. You have to build a disconnect harness that runs through the saddlebag. MoCo did mount an amp in the same location on the 2016 SG CVO, if you want to look at one in the dealership as a template.

The 2 channel PBR300x2 run in parallel is a better amp than the 4 channel PBR300x4 running dedicated channels.

Great Post, Thanks.

I've decided on the SoundStream PN4.1000D Amp; Infinity Kappa 693.9I 3-way 6x9 lid speakers in the back and Hertz ECX 100.5 in the front. It looks like the Hertz will mount into the Boom Audio speaker housings mounted on my handlebars, but I'm not sure if that's too much power going to the Hertz in the front...Thoughts?

Still not sure the best option for the controls (volume/power) for the amp and an iPod/iPhone...could use some help there, as well as how to build quick release plugs for saddlebag removal.

Old 03-14-2016, 07:32 PM
HDavidA
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Check out the JL MBt-RX or the JL BMT CRX for controlling the audio via bluetooth. I have then thinking of the same and these are some options I looked at.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:04 PM
The Cheesehead
Road Master

Originally Posted by HDavidA
Check out the JL MBt-RX or the JL BMT CRX for controlling the audio via bluetooth. I have then thinking of the same and these are some options I looked at.
Thanks for the recommendation HDavidA...I'll check those out. Also heard about the MTX MUDBTRC: All-weather Bluetooth® receiver/remote control: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_236MUDB...X-MUDBTRC.html

I also understand that a delay switch for the REM line is needed to avoid the "POP" sound when turning the bike on. I was referred to one by Crutchfield.

Gauge wire...Does this sound right for a 1000Watt amp?:
Power/Ground/REM: 8 AWG
Speakers: 12 AWG - this one seems too high...I'd thing that 14 gauge would suffice.

The following users liked this post:
HDavidA (03-15-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 07:35 PM
HDavidA
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks, Ill have to look into the delay to avoid the pop. In terms of wiring I bought the pre-made set that plug in via RCA's. They were pretty cheap, under $10. I have a riding buddy who is more into Stereos than I am, and he said he has some extra power/ground/rem wires, so I just using that and not sure what it is.

I hope to install nest week, if i figure anything out and you are still in the process I will share out.

Old 03-15-2016, 08:30 PM
The Cheesehead
Road Master

Originally Posted by HDavidA
Thanks, Ill have to look into the delay to avoid the pop. In terms of wiring I bought the pre-made set that plug in via RCA's. They were pretty cheap, under $10. I have a riding buddy who is more into Stereos than I am, and he said he has some extra power/ground/rem wires, so I just using that and not sure what it is.

I hope to install nest week, if i figure anything out and you are still in the process I will share out.
Please do share. I'll be doing this project in a couple weeks. the Power/Ground and REM (Remote) wires all need to be installed to power the amp properly. the fellas at SoundStream told me to wire the REM line to my Aux switch adjacent to the spot light switch behind my nacelle. That way I can turn the Amp on/off with that switch. Does that make sense??

I'm in the process of finding all the Quick Disconnects for the wiring for the speakers/power and RCA wires. as well as the 80 Amp fuse & holder.

Last edited by The Cheesehead; 03-15-2016 at 08:33 PM.
Old 04-09-2016, 01:53 PM
The Cheesehead
Road Master

Well, this is turned into quite a project. Luckily, the extended winter into spring has allowed me to get this pretty much done.

I decided to keep the Boom handlebar speaker cans on the handlebars and gutted the cans to install the new Hertz 4 inch speakers. I had to do quite a bit of customization to the speakers to make them fit but they do fit. I siliconed them in place and they are drying right now. I went to Americanhardbag.com and bought a full wiring harness for both Kappa 6x9 speakers the backbone to the front speakers and all other wires needed to run the amp. I worked with Rob Gomez at Americanhardbag.comand he was able to get me everything I needed. Their customer service and knowledge is fantastic. Initially, I thought I would create my own wiring harness so I went to eBay and bought all the parts I would need. All the parts ended up costing more than what the premade wiring harness would cost so I decided to return everythingand bought the wiring harness from those folks.

For both handlebar speakers & the bag speakers I went to cruisercustomizing.comand bought hyperbobic paper to waterproof (more water resistant than waterproof) the face of the speakers grills and used silicone behind all the speakers to make sure no water gets into them. Then used a hot glue gun to gluethe paper onto the grills for all four speakers. Now, I know that this will not keep the water out entirely, but if I can limit the amount of water that gets into any of them I think I'll be in great shape. Lots of folks on this forum (and others) have said that the hyperbobic paper and silicone I used is a great combination to keep the Infinity Kappa speakers and Hertz speakers relatively dry and will stand up very well to water. The silicone I used is actually made by Liquid Nails. It's a composite that dries completely clear, stays clear and allows for about 25% movement in the material while staying waterproof. I thought this would be a much better option than standard silicone.

With the help of HDforms.com and YouTube, I have successfully installed all four speakers, amp, volume control (from eBay) and wiring harness onto the bike. This is coming from someone that does not work with electrical a lot and I found it to be relatively simple. You just have to make up your mind to do it. Once I get the amp fully tuned for all four channels I know this is going to be very good and hidden solution to getting great music on the Road King.

Last edited by The Cheesehead; 04-09-2016 at 02:02 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 03:35 PM
SJ_Phil
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen and heard those bikes with super loud stereo's. Always 1)wondered if they can heard at speed and 2) thought they were more for show and insecure ego types...Cost $2k after all is said and done, plus you get to loose a lot of bag space. I decided to get a Sena bluetooth system. $400, OK sound, intercom, and cell phone. Doesn't mean I have to answer the call...LOL You can din-plug into the stock HD system, as well, if you want. +$27/unit. Seriously inexpensive. Hope the info and experience helps you.

Quick Reply: I'm Done Settling for Boom Handlebar Speakers on a Road King...