Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm Done Settling for Boom Handlebar Speakers on a Road King...

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 10:56 PM
The Cheesehead
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default I'm Done Settling for Boom Handlebar Speakers on a Road King...

...But I'm going to need some help.

I am not an audiophile, by any means...But I have had it with settling for noise that I can't even hear over 50 MPH. Besides the fact that I have lost some of my hearing, at that speed, the end result is just not worth having the stereo on over 50 MPH. That said...On to the latest project: AUDIO UPGRADE. Here's where I am...and keep in mind these are only guidelines...I am looking for your thoughts and opinions on what I'm looking to accomplish and how best to do it.

I'm looking for a combination - Handlebar (or crashbar) speakers and saddlebag lid speakers both driven by an iPod classic or iPhone (Bluetooth enabled -3.5mm driven and potentially Bluetooth) for my 2012 Road King. I'd prefer to have handlebar mounted controls for power/volume - but nothing too extravagant. I have the Boom audio speakers mounted on my handlebars now and it's quite ho-humm in sound quality. Looking for something I can hear with/without a windshield and with/without full-face helmet - although I DO understand the difficulties of hearing audio with a full face on the freeway.

AMP:
I believe I'd need and amp (considering the SoundStreamNano 1000 watt 4 channel PN4.1000D Amp OR ST4.1000DB - Soundstream 4-Channel 1000W Max Class-D Amplifier because it is Bluetooth enabled).

SPEAKERS
Lid Speakers: (considering Infinity Kappa 6x9 lid speakers).
Front Speakers: As I'd mentioned, I have a setof Boom audio speakers mounted on my handlebars now that I'd like to gut andput a set of 4" replacement speakers into, but I'm open to options andyour input. I have bought a cheap pair of spotlight housings to use as speakers if the first idea does not pan out...but again, they will only house 4" speakers. Front 4" speakers considering Hertz ECX 100.5.

CONTROLS:
In addition, Iike the option of having handlebar mounted controls (similar to the Boom Audio) and the ability to connect Bluetooth to an iPhone or a wired option to drive an iPod classic so some sort of wiring harness is also necessary.

MISSING ITEMS:
What am I missing...Is it really that simple? I have to be missing something...

As I'd mentioned earlier, I am not anaudiophile by any means, but I'd like something that I can hear clearly over 50MPH on a Road King without blowing my speakers. PLEASE HELP with your thoughts & suggestions...Much appreciated!!

The Cheesehead

Last edited by The Cheesehead; 03-09-2016 at 11:05 PM.
Old 03-10-2016, 02:05 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Tough on a Roadking with crashbar speakers. Have you ruled out an aftermarket fairing?

Old 03-10-2016, 06:34 AM
The Cheesehead
Road Master

Yes, the fairing is out of the question. I would have bought a S.Glide if I wanted a fairing. I have thought about lowers, but I'd like to figure this out without a fairing or lowers.

Old 03-10-2016, 06:44 AM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,213 Likes on 941 Posts

I'm interested in seeing what people come up with here

Old 03-10-2016, 06:50 AM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member

Received 465 Likes on 306 Posts

You can buy KC headlight buckets at the auto parts store, that way you can mount 6.5" speakers on your crash bar.

Couple of options on the handlebar controls, they have some bluetooth setups and I found a handlebar toggle switch but i can't find the post atm :/

Old 03-10-2016, 07:50 AM
Newharleylover
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,165 Likes on 456 Posts

I was dead set against getting a fairing as well but it turned out to be inevitable. A guy I worked with had Heritage softail with a handlebar mounted stereo system. He allowed me to take it out for a small cruise to check out the sound. Even at 40 mph I couldn't hear ****, the wind made it virtually impossible. So one Christmas about 5 years ago or so my wife got me a fairing, a head unit and some speakers. So I did a lot of thread reading on the subject, the majority of the information came from Ultranutz. I got a more appropriate amp from there and poly filled my speakers which made a world of difference. In the beginning my thoughts on the fairing was that it was a huge obstruction to my view of the road ahead of me. With some good input from audiophiles on here and getting used to riding with a fairing I'll never turn back. Should've bought a Street Glide to begin with.

Old 03-10-2016, 09:29 AM
rvjam
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can deal with the windshield this may be a good option .
From a recent thread -
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio...ock-hoodz.html

Old 03-10-2016, 09:40 AM
rvjam
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 03-10-2016, 07:23 PM
HDavidA
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Google tune tatas. I have ordered a set but have yet to install. I hope they provide me with the sound I need.

Old 03-12-2016, 09:27 AM
The Cheesehead
Road Master

Thanks for the recommendation on the tune tatas. Looks like just what I'm searching for, but I may try another option...gutting the Boom! handlebar spearker cans from H-D.

Last edited by The Cheesehead; 04-18-2016 at 02:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Blvfisc (03-14-2016)

Quick Reply: I'm Done Settling for Boom Handlebar Speakers on a Road King...