Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rock Hoodz

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 12:21 PM
Pbr
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rock Hoodz

Newbie here....Anyone have an opinion on the Rock Hoodz by Reckless? Looking for audio for my '14 FLHR. How well can you hear it at Highways speeds? I have tried using the search function but have not had much luck with finding reviews on Windshield/handlebar mount systems. Thanks

Old 10-16-2015, 01:19 PM
MrIncredible-NJ
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am thinking of picking up the Reckless MC Rock Hoodz for my 06 FLHRI. Concern is that it looks like it mounts to the windshield but mine is removable. Also wondering if we can hook a second amp to it for rear speakers down the road. Lastly, does it have a clock? I hope so.

Old 10-20-2015, 05:17 PM
MrIncredible-NJ
Advanced

No additional feedback on the Rock Hoodz?

Old 10-22-2015, 07:19 AM
Pbr
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought there would be a few replies. Oh well. When I saw these at bikes blues and BBQ I do not remember seeing that it had a clock but surely the Infinity Stereo would have a clock function as most radios do.

Old 10-24-2015, 11:13 PM
MrIncredible-NJ
Advanced

No clock. How silly is that?
Here's the manual: https://www.rocktheboatmarinestereo..../INFPRV250.pdf

Also hearing they are backed up three weeks on all orders for Rock Hoodz. Wish I could hear from someone who has one and can give me some solid reviews but so far, no luck.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:38 PM
MrIncredible-NJ
Advanced

Well after speaking to someone at Reckless and asking a whole lot of questions I decided to order the Rock Hoodz. Should be here by Thursday. Installed hopefully over the weekend then hopefully have time for a detailed review with pics and maybe video.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:32 AM
MrIncredible-NJ
Advanced

I must say....this thing is really nice. I've ridden with it already and will give you some pros/cons regarding my experience so far.

PROS:
It looks nice. Well made. It's also not as big as I had thought it would be. But, where it really matters, it sounds great! Very clear! Nice to have bass and treble controls and yes, you can hear the bass quite a bit. I like that these are two way speakers. The tweeters really help make the sound clearer and allow the woofers to push out some bass. The cabinet really helps to make it happen.

It's also very loud and can be heard quite clearly between 55 and 70mph from my experience with it on one day of riding. Around 40/45 you can hear it clear as a bell. Quite impressive actually. It is also MUCH louder than the HD Boom handlebar speakers I replaced with this system. It has bluetooth! Really nice. You can skip from track to track on your iphone with the radio buttons if you choose to. It also charges your phone while plugged into the USB port OR you can use the accessory plug if that is your preference. It does take a moment for the radio to realize that it needs to charge the device so give it a few seconds. The FM radio works pretty good. I was able to take a break from the iPhone music and listen to the Giants game. Again, sound was more than clear.

CONS:
It scratches easily. When mounting it be REALLY careful with the screw driver and tools or you will scratch it and it WILL show up badly. I used a Sharpie permanent marker to go over the scratches. Keep one handy.

It's very awkward to mount by yourself. I'd highly recommend you have someone with you to do it. Will make it much easier.

It requires making your removable windshield not so removable. You will need to remove the rubber grommets and replace them with spacers then tighten down the windshield so it can't come off easily and will properly support the system. I have to say, this is the part I hated the most. I do like to take my windshield off on occasion. Not often but sometimes. Now I can't do it without having tools to do so. There is a quick connect which makes disconnecting easy though.

Lastly, clean your windshield REALLY well before mounting this and watch for finger prints. You can't get behind it to clean once it is mounted. I'm thinking a rag or something attached to a long but narrow brush or a screw driver could get behind it to clean the shield BUT once again, be careful not to scratch the system.

Just so you know, and this may be silly but I think it's odd....there is no clock on the radio screen and you can't turn the glow from the screen off. I haven't driven with it at night yet so I can't tell you if it will be annoying. I can say that it doesn't appear to be super bright but it will be in your face.

CONCLUSION:
With all that said, I don't regret buying this thing. I think I will get many miles of road with music to enjoy the ride. It's pretty attractive. On the first day alone I had a lot of people compliment me and ask where I got it from. If you aren't sure....give Reckless a call. They were very helpful and responsive for me and even gave me a tech to answer all of my questions before I ordered.

I've attached a few photos to show how it looks from the front and back. Also to show you relative size with my iPhone on the handlebars. For those that are interested, my iPhone mount is the RAM X Grip mount. I highly recommend it. Paid about $40. Phone stays secure no matter what and I've gotten it up beyond the 88 miles an hour to go back in time.

Attached Thumbnails Rock Hoodz-rockhoods1.jpg   Rock Hoodz-rockhoods2.jpg   Rock Hoodz-rockhoods3.jpg   Rock Hoodz-rockhoods4.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
spiritslaugh (05-21-2017)
Old 11-23-2015, 04:38 AM
tgmotoman
Tourer
Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Looks good, I wonder if this might work on a MS batwing. Thanks.

Old 03-02-2016, 08:46 AM
rdkingcustm06
Stage I

Can you give me an idea of how the installation was. I'm very interested in this unit. The twisted audio company has a very similar product but the cost is over $800 for my Road King Custom. Thanks for the info

The following users liked this post:
Joey58 (10-11-2017)
Old 06-14-2016, 03:33 PM
Bowtie41
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rock Hoodz

Nice "real world" review and pics.I'm wondering......I'm trying to decide between this or a Radio Caddy Fairing.Does it actually mount to the windshield,or to the handlebars?Like the OP,I like to remove the windshield on occasion,so I'm hoping it can be made to stay on the bike without the windshield.Thanks!

Quick Reply: Rock Hoodz