Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Double 6x9 speaker lids or twisted 8 lids.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 05:08 PM
Tstreet15
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Double 6x9 speaker lids or twisted 8 lids.

I am looking at do something with my speaker lids. I have sv165 and dd vo3 horn in front fairing with a 800.4 amp 15 streetglide. I have seen a few video clips of the twisted 8 lids they sound great and are pretty loud. But i dont know if i like the looks for the 14 and bikes with yhe speakers pointed out. With the dual 6x9's I can still keep the same factory look. Can i still get the same volume or close to the same volume of the twisted 8.
I have heard the 8.8s from voodoo sound really good to but the quality of the lids are not that great for the price.

Old 12-20-2016, 05:41 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Tstreet15
I am looking at do something with my speaker lids. I have sv165 and dd vo3 horn in front fairing with a 800.4 amp 15 streetglide. I have seen a few video clips of the twisted 8 lids they sound great and are pretty loud. But i dont know if i like the looks for the 14 and bikes with yhe speakers pointed out. With the dual 6x9's I can still keep the same factory look. Can i still get the same volume or close to the same volume of the twisted 8.
I have heard the 8.8s from voodoo sound really good to but the quality of the lids are not that great for the price.
What do u mean when u say that the quality of the voodoo lid is not that good?

T

Old 12-20-2016, 05:53 PM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member

Received 464 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailwind

T
He means your the only person on the planet to get a set that's right the first time :/

Old 12-20-2016, 06:06 PM
Tstreet15
Advanced

[QUOTE=Tailwind;15770510]What do u mean when u say that the quality of the voodoo lid is not that good?

I just heard it was a hit or miss on how they fit and close and that they need alot of prep work before paint.

Old 12-20-2016, 07:40 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member

[quote=Tstreet15]

I just heard it was a hit or miss on how they fit and close and that they need alot of prep work before paint.
Don't listen to Bunker, the electrical current from all the different shix he tests every day has caused a few temporary glitches. His wife caught him licking the ends of the power and ground wires the other day!!!!! Boy is obsessed!!!!

There really isn't much to the Voodoo lids for the Rushmores. Line up the hinge and drill a few marked starter holes on the lids. I'm sure the magical 13 and lower lids are an entirely different animal.

So the lids were fine during the initial mock up. They will be back from paint tomorrow night and when I get the final install complete, I will report back. Aside from potential fitment issues, the last thing I would call them is poorly made in terms of structural integrity as they are built like brick shix house. Have to be to hold a 10lb speaker I guess.

Anyways, I will keep u posted on how the final install goes. If ur worried about the look, I would recommend a different speaker than the JL880 and go with a traditional 8" drop in and flush mount grill. Plenty of options there and a damn clean look!!!!

T.

Old 12-20-2016, 07:54 PM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by bunker
he means your the only person on the planet to get a set that's right the first time :/
lol!!

Old 12-20-2016, 07:54 PM
BaggerAudioLab
Banned
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

You'll get more bass from 4 6x9's but not the same volume as some pro audio 8's. Especially only pumping out 100w to each 6x9.

The following users liked this post:
CVOJOE (12-21-2016)
Old 12-20-2016, 08:02 PM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Anyways, I will keep u posted on how the final install goes. If ur worried about the look, I would recommend a different speaker than the JL880 and go with a traditional 8" drop in and flush mount grill. Plenty of options there and a damn clean look!!!!

T.
I got a qoute for the 14+ Voodoo lids with the Lex Rivera grills and the spacer needed to keep the 8" PA magnet from hitting the latch mechanism and it was $1195. Also got a quote for the Voodoo lids and just the Lex Rivera grills for $770.

I went with Twisted 8 lids, but have yet to receive them yet. I paid $606 with black powder coated grills.

Now I have to be able to get away from work so I can send out my 6x9 lids.

Old 12-20-2016, 08:03 PM
Tstreet15
Advanced

[QUOTE=Tailwind;15770690]

Don't listen to Bunker, the electrical current from all the different shix he tests every day has caused a few temporary glitches. His wife caught him licking the ends of the power and ground wires the other day!!!!! Boy is obsessed!!!!

There really isn't much to the Voodoo lids for the Rushmores. Line up the hinge and drill a few marked starter holes on the lids. I'm sure the magical 13 and lower lids are an entirely different animal.

So the lids were fine during the initial mock up. They will be back from paint tomorrow night and when I get the final install complete, I will report back. Aside from potential fitment issues, the last thing I would call them is poorly made in terms of structural integrity as they are built like brick shix house. Have to be to hold a 10lb speaker I guess.

T.
I like the looks of the voodoo lids with the jl880. I got a quote for 1800 painted and speaker from True kustom.

Old 12-20-2016, 08:12 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member

I like the looks of the voodoo lids with the jl880. I got a quote for 1800 painted and speaker from True kustom.
Let me get the low down on mine this week and if ur leaning that way, let me know as I might have a few connections. I'm all in with paint for cheaper than Michigan's Voodoo quote. I also painted the JL Grills to match the sled so a bit cleaner than the grey and black speak. 16 bucks for primer, paint, and clear coat.

T

Quick Reply: Double 6x9 speaker lids or twisted 8 lids.