Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Psa about DSP. This is a must read

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 08:40 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 185 Posts

The purpose is to keep the dsp from just being a mainstream gotta have it. Again in the wrong hands does more harm than good. No intention to detour here but I have spent years getting settings in a certain way. Each setup varies but I have a baseline I know to start for each channel I have. What I do not want to see is 50 threads on how do I set my DSP , or my dsp doesn't work right it sounds horrible. Glad to help a FEW but am also not going to write a tutorial either.

The following users liked this post:
Bertk (02-02-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 09:06 PM
BaggerAudioLab
Banned
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by slyedog
The purpose is to keep the dsp from just being a mainstream gotta have it. Again in the wrong hands does more harm than good. No intention to detour here but I have spent years getting settings in a certain way. Each setup varies but I have a baseline I know to start for each channel I have. What I do not want to see is 50 threads on how do I set my DSP , or my dsp doesn't work right it sounds horrible. Glad to help a FEW but am also not going to write a tutorial either.
I'm agree 100%. My hopes are that in the near future I can package a DSP with a handful of my "go-to" set ups and have them either preset or that I can send the settings to a customer for those particular set ups. There's just too many variables -- either actual set up, or listening preference to have a canned setting for everyone, but I think I can have my preferred set up for a handful of what I would consider home run set ups. Kinda like canned maps for tuners...this should get you close but a Dyno gets you perfect. Otherwise I think you are correct there will be post that say this thing sucks, or why can't I get it to sound right, etc. and it's going to happen!! My vision is that at least with a BAL set up, you got your DSP base settings.

The following 2 users liked this post by BaggerAudioLab:
Bertk (02-02-2017), slyedog (02-01-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 09:36 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by BaggerAudioLab
I'm agree 100%. My hopes are that in the near future I can package a DSP with a handful of my "go-to" set ups and have them either preset or that I can send the settings to a customer for those particular set ups. There's just too many variables -- either actual set up, or listening preference to have a canned setting for everyone, but I think I can have my preferred set up for a handful of what I would consider home run set ups. Kinda like canned maps for tuners...this should get you close but a Dyno gets you perfect. Otherwise I think you are correct there will be post that say this thing sucks, or why can't I get it to sound right, etc. and it's going to happen!! My vision is that at least with a BAL set up, you got your DSP base settings.
I waited for you to say this exact statement. With the package already purchased or bundled with it, I agree and truly believe it will be damn near on par or dead nuts on as long as the builds are consistent.

Old 02-02-2017, 06:23 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by matt76cmich
Thats it. I'm putting 5 DSPs in my bike and it's gonna make my new J&M setup out of this world LOL!

Completely joking. I've messed around in a couple studios back in my rocker days and having control over the sound with Pro Tools on multi channel mixing boards with 32 and 48+ band EQs along with all of the other things can be daunting. Like said before, using a DSP may not be for everyone
Personally, the only bike (and I've done a lot) I've ever put one on is my own and it didn't stay long. The complexities of a DSP's usage, it's settings, and the nuances that come with it not to mention the complete loss of sound control and quality once moving doesn't warrant this IMO, that is unless your bike is a parking lot queen.

Bertk (02-02-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 06:45 AM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

There are a lot of words of wisdom here for those that are thinking of purchasing a DSP. Thanks fellas.

Old 03-26-2017, 07:01 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member

I want to bring this back up so it can be read through again. What I would like is if you feel a dsp may be useful to you then post your setup specs in a new thread I will start called can I utilize a dsp or am I better off without it.

matt76cmich (03-26-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 02:34 AM
Ride my Seesaw
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,562 Likes on 731 Posts

Dsp's are a moot point unless you have the proper test and measuring equipment to set up your audio equipment chain and a clear understanding of how to do it. Actually, this goes for most analog gear too. Sure you can tune by ear but that's a joke if you're serious about attaining maximum benefits, your ear and a VOM won't come close to cutting it. In reality you would need a good oscilloscope, audio spectrum analyzer, a calibrated measuring microphone, tone generator, leveled white and pink noise generators and a power supply that replicates your bike's actual battery voltage and available current to get any real benefit out of any audio system. Anything else is just twisting ***** and level controls until your 'pleased' with the audio results. Tuning by ear/vom does not maximize your systems frequency response, dynamic range, power levels and overall system efficiency. You really DO need outboard test gear and technical knowledge to set your audio system right.

Old 03-27-2017, 05:49 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Ride my Seesaw
Dsp's are a moot point unless you have the proper test and measuring equipment to set up your audio equipment chain and a clear understanding of how to do it. Actually, this goes for most analog gear too. Sure you can tune by ear but that's a joke if you're serious about attaining maximum benefits, your ear and a VOM won't come close to cutting it. In reality you would need a good oscilloscope, audio spectrum analyzer, a calibrated measuring microphone, tone generator, leveled white and pink noise generators and a power supply that replicates your bike's actual battery voltage and available current to get any real benefit out of any audio system. Anything else is just twisting ***** and level controls until your 'pleased' with the audio results. Tuning by ear/vom does not maximize your systems frequency response, dynamic range, power levels and overall system efficiency. You really DO need outboard test gear and technical knowledge to set your audio system right.
I'm all in on a DSP and have none of that equipment!!!! Never even heard of that equipment.

Just sayin!!!

T

2017M8 (09-05-2019)
Old 03-27-2017, 06:21 PM
Ride my Seesaw
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,562 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailwind
I'm all in on a DSP and have none of that equipment!!!! Never even heard of that equipment.

Just sayin!!!

T
Then you've proven my point. As long as you're happy with the results you've achieved thusfar then that's all that matters. However your audio system's full potential has yet to have been met. It's only quantifiable by your happiness and satisfaction. So as I said earlier, it's a moot point.

Last edited by Ride my Seesaw; 03-27-2017 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-27-2017, 06:39 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

There is so much overkill here. Not everyone in here is trying to nor are they even interested in obtaining first place at a sound quality judging. Buy it, tune it to your liking whether by ear or test equipment, and go ride/enjoy it. There are guys in here that take this stuff to extremes and it's what they like to do, not everyone wants that. A DSP can be tuned very effectively without touching test equipment. Ex: Rockford 3Sixty.3 comes with a tuning CD just as some of the alpine, jl audio, etc. models do.

load97 (03-14-2020)

Quick Reply: Psa about DSP. This is a must read