Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BOOM stage 1

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 09:22 AM
cpbedor
Road Warrior
Received 201 Likes on 165 Posts

I'm in the midst of feeling the pain of Boom. I installed Boom in 2014 because there wasn't anything else of the scene back then. The Boom 6.5 was brand new and aftermarket companies hadn't caught up to it. I put the one amp in the fairing running the fairing an the pods. It sounded good. I added a saddlebag amp with bag lids and lowers. it sounded great! When I totaled up the receipts it was mind boggling. As people have said already, the cost of this equipment is incongruent with what you get. There's a price to plug and play. There's an added price to stamping that bar and shield on ANY piece of equipment. I was scared to death to cut into wires and take apart a brand new bike. I surely didn't want to void a warranty and so I was happy to pay close to $3000 for a two amp, 8 speaker boom setup and the payoff for all that is sitting on my workbench in a pile. Every last bit of it.

My point to the OP is this: the Boom kits will reproduce sound at a better level than stock speakers will, no question about it and I know its frustrating to hear a bunch of guys say "scrap it" when youre already invested in this HD stereo setup but what I didn't understand and maybe what's difficult to read between the lines is that everyone in this forum is passionate about motorcycle audio and all of us who have been there before are simply trying to save you time, money and disappointment in the long run. I didn't show up in this forum until I went full in on Boom and now I'm redoing everything. I can barely GIVE this equipment away today. thousands of dollars in amps in speakers sitting on my bench chaps my *** but it's my own fault for not showing up here on the front end and listening. Everyone on this forum is willing to go WAY out of their way to help design, implement, procure and install something that's worth spending money on...the last thing anyone here is trying to do is make you spend unnecessarily...quite the opposite. Good luck in whatever path you take.

I understand too that you have an amp that you got with the bike and seems wasteful to yank it out since you "paid for it" but I also "paid for" my stock Harley suspension and couldn't get it off fast enough. I paid for my handlebars, brushed aluminum fork lowers, my rear fender, my bags, my controls, my windshield, my wheels, my brake calipers, my engine, my ECM, my seat....but all those things are sitting in a box on a shelf useless to me because they've been replaced for better components. The audio is no different. Buy it once, buy it right....coming from the guy who did everything else right except the audio.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:57 AM
Fatherwayne
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Well said.

Old 11-20-2018, 01:49 PM
rochman
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

This is good to know , I am getting ready to get some audio in my lids , have been looking at Boom Audio , Hogtunes , Fosgate , I am starting from scratch , lids , speakers and a amp in the bags so I can hear the audio from behind , I see a $1000.00 give or take , To read about a quality aftermarket amp and speakers would help , thanks.

Old 11-20-2018, 03:07 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by rochman
This is good to know , I am getting ready to get some audio in my lids , have been looking at Boom Audio , Hogtunes , Fosgate , I am starting from scratch , lids , speakers and a amp in the bags so I can hear the audio from behind , I see a $1000.00 give or take , To read about a quality aftermarket amp and speakers would help , thanks.
What's the rest of your system look like? You leaving the fairing speakers stock?

Old 11-20-2018, 03:45 PM
rochman
Cruiser

All I got is Stock fairing sound in my 2016 Street Glide Special

Old 11-20-2018, 03:49 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member

And your plan is to add speaker lids and an amp and leave the fairing stock? Just making sure I'm following.

Old 11-20-2018, 07:10 PM
rochman
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SBates08
And your plan is to add speaker lids and an amp and leave the fairing stock? Just making sure I'm following.
Yes , that is my plan , I have a pair of H.D. lids lined up with grills , so I am looking to have speakers in the rear , it was mentioned that I can off the fairing amp but that's not helpful if it is not any lowder than what I have , so that's my story .

Old 11-20-2018, 08:00 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member

Yes , that is my plan , I have a pair of H.D. lids lined up with grills , so I am looking to have speakers in the rear , it was mentioned that I can off the fairing amp but that's not helpful if it is not any lowder than what I have , so that's my story .
Brother you are going about this all wrong. The fairing should be the first area you attack. Adding lid speakers with an amp am leaving your front stage stock is like putting lipstick on a pig....it just doesn't make sense.

Old 11-21-2018, 06:23 AM
rochman
Cruiser

And this is one good reason to put this stuff out there on this site , I am not familiar with such projects like this one but I think I am about to get Educated . So Mr.SBatesO8 , please share with me what you know is the correct way , I will be very Happy to be educated by you , Thanks .

Old 11-21-2018, 06:54 AM
SgtMic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

And this is one good reason to put this stuff out there on this site , I am not familiar with such projects like this one but I think I am about to get Educated . So Mr.SBatesO8 , please share with me what you know is the correct way , I will be very Happy to be educated by you , Thanks .
When you take the time to read through this forum for your education, you'll see that the fairing is the first thing you do. Everything else comes after.
Get to reading.

Quick Reply: BOOM stage 1