Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BOOM stage 1

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 05:54 PM
Mofo67
Stellar HDF Member
Received 800 Likes on 526 Posts
Default BOOM stage 1

It was suggested I ask my question here. I am picking up my 17 CVO Limited Friday and it comes with a 4 speaker stage 1 audio system. I am interested in having the amp push just the front speakers only and changing the front speakers to stage 2. Then letting the factory boom radio power the rear speakers until I came save up some change for an additional amp for the back and stage 2 speakers for the back. Thoughts and suggestions?
Thanks

Old 02-14-2017, 06:29 PM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Do not waste your money on the under achieving over priced Boom crap. For the price of the Boom stuff you can do way better with aftermarket equipment. The guys here will be able to help you along the way with anything you need.

Give them a budget and what locations you want speakers in and you will be a lot happier in the end. Basically you will be ahead with aftermarket than you will woth the cost the cost of the stage 2 Boom speakers and second Boom amp.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:19 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Mofo67
It was suggested I ask my question here. I am picking up my 17 CVO Limited Friday and it comes with a 4 speaker stage 1 audio system. I am interested in having the amp push just the front speakers only and changing the front speakers to stage 2. Then letting the factory boom radio power the rear speakers until I came save up some change for an additional amp for the back and stage 2 speakers for the back. Thoughts and suggestions?
Thanks
The Boom II system uses one amp to power one pair of speakers/tweeters. Does the 17 CVO have a amp?

Take a look at the Boom II fairing speaker kit for sale on the HD site. Read the the disclaimer "FINAL SALE, NON-RETURNABLE", what does this tell you?
Under Fitment "Requires separate purchase of a Boom! Audio accessory amplifier. Not compatible with models equipped with Stage I Boom! Audio components." The HD site doesn't show a Boom II amp available any more.

From what I have seen and read, the Boom II system has been a dismal failure. We have had many Boom II owners come through here that end up tearing the Boom II stuff out and starting over. As Matt suggested, and I agree, you can do Much better with aftermarket equipment considering what HD will charge you for a setup that may or may not sound any better than stock.

Old 02-15-2017, 02:28 AM
Mofo67
Stellar HDF Member
Received 800 Likes on 526 Posts

Thanks, I have always used J&M and have really liked them. I guess I'll be looking there way again.

Old 02-15-2017, 03:26 AM
billablehours
Tourer
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Keep looking. J&M is just a small step up from Boom. There are much better options. A little time spent reading this forum will be time very well spent.

Originally Posted by Mofo67
Thanks, I have always used J&M and have really liked them. I guess I'll be looking there way again.

Old 02-15-2017, 04:40 AM
Fatherwayne
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

It probably seems like you came to this form asking for help and all we've done is bag on your ideas. Probably sounds like we're dismissive in some of the posts throughout the forum but the truth is there is just a iot of experience here. It all comes from a place of wanting to save you from the pitfalls others have experienced.

The boom stuff really is overpriced and fraught with limitations and long-term unreliability issues. I believe that's why they won't take it back. If you have been happy with J&M in the past you will be ecstatic with what you will find is available down other avenues for that kind of coin. J&M speakers are shrill and over priced and their amplifiers are just other manufacturers amps re-branded (poorly at that) for double the price.

Take a moment to post a budget, the amount of speakers your looking for and their locations, and the type of music you enjoy. Then instead of telling you negatives about your other ideas the guys can offer up some creative options for you to consider. For what you been spending on J&M.... man are you going to be pleased with the difference in your sound!

The following users liked this post:
arlington (11-21-2018)
Old 02-15-2017, 05:02 AM
talkingrock
Road Warrior
Received 421 Likes on 284 Posts

I went with boom stage11 in fairing speakers only and am not disappointed , more volume and better sound I am not trying to run a block party with my audio

Maccam26 (07-19-2019)
Old 02-15-2017, 05:26 AM
tesnevo
Club Member
Received 93 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by talkingrock
I went with boom stage11 in fairing speakers only and am not disappointed , more volume and better sound I am not trying to run a block party with my audio
And that's all that matters, what your happy with. If it sounds good to you then it's the perfect setup for what you want.

To the OP, please post what your wanting (you end result wishes) from a system upgrade. If you want it to just sound better-or able to hear it at 70+mph-or you want to DJ a rave party for 1000 people or whatever. That will help us recommend for your specific wants.

From your original posting it's sounds like you just want to replace the fronts with possibly the stage 2 or aftermarket speakers and that all, correct?
For the "fun" you will have removing the pods to get to the factory speakers you may want to consider doing it ONCE and be done meaning save up and do your front stage upgrades all at once.

talkingrock (02-15-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 05:42 AM
Fatherwayne
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by talkingrock
I hope it remains reliable for you. My buddies an HD Tech and he says those systems fail all the time. I hope you got a good one that last a long time. It's all about what you're happy with

Old 02-15-2017, 08:33 AM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member

Received 464 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by Fatherwayne
I hope it remains reliable for you. My buddies an HD Tech and he says those systems fail all the time. I hope you got a good one that last a long time. It's all about what you're happy with
The Boom stuff gets a bad rap all the time, it's not that bad of a setup BUT it does cost a lot for what you get AND it has to be setup correctly.

The techs are having hell setting these up properly, wrong flash will wreck these speakers in a flash (haha pun intended!). I think they are starting to come around though and more of these correctly setup systems are hitting the roads over incorrectly setup systems.

If you're comfortable in spending almost double for the Boom over comparable aftermarket and taking your chances with a correct install then go for it I say.

In the end it's the buyer that needs to be happy with his system not us. Some of these Boom setups DO sound good but for me it's a cost that I'm not willing to take.

Quick Reply: BOOM stage 1