Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me build my 16 SGS

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 02:03 PM
Bike medic
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help me build my 16 SGS

Picking up a 2016 Street Glide Special tomorrow morning. I got a stellar deal on it used from a guy that needed to get out from under it due to financial issues. I paid what he owed, which was way lower than KBB or even dealer trade. The thing is immaculate and perfect in every way. EXCEPT for the boom audio installed. So help me build a system....I have been looking and reading and kind of settled on the Polk mm651 and a RF 300X2 amp....however is there something else in that range I would be better off buying? I also looked at sound stream, any reason to go SS over RF? What are the chances I'll lose FM stations with the D-Class amp? Do I need a marine version of a speaker? My understanding is the mm651um has non removable grills and won't work for my application.

Last edited by Bike medic; 03-03-2017 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:30 PM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Ok, you are in a good place here by asking questions before buying. Now for a couple questions for you.

Fairing only set up, do you plan to add on later (lids/lowers/tourpak)?
Do you want loud and clear at 80+mph or warmer and loud on the back roads?
What is your budget?

And congrats on picking up that good lookin scoot.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:38 PM
Bike medic
Cruiser

I want to be budget friendly. Under 500 I'd say. I want an all around system as I rode a lot of highways but also a lot of city streets

Old 03-03-2017, 10:44 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Beautiful sled brotha!!!

$500 is gonna be damn tight!!! Hold off a bit and do it right the first time.

U can start gathering parts for the install like the BT355, but shop the amp and speaks a bit and save up to get the right.

If it's going to remain a 2 speak setup, it would not hurt to grab a JL MHX 280/4 amp before they are sold out.

T.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:47 PM
cpbedor
Road Warrior
Received 202 Likes on 165 Posts

Tailwind, Ill have a MHX 280/4 available shortly. maybe I should hold on to it as it increases in value. Future collectors item right there.

Old 03-03-2017, 11:35 PM
Bike medic
Cruiser

That's not bad at all. I see that amp for 150 on amazon. What speakers should I be looking at?

Old 03-03-2017, 11:37 PM
Bike medic
Cruiser

And yes it'll remain 2 speaker I'm pretty sure. I don't want anything crazy. Just a good all around set up. I keep seeing people do Polk audio and the Rockford amp. Is that not a great as a set up as theyre claiming?

Old 03-03-2017, 11:49 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Bike medic
And yes it'll remain 2 speaker I'm pretty sure. I don't want anything crazy. Just a good all around set up. I keep seeing people do Polk audio and the Rockford amp. Is that not a great as a set up as theyre claiming?
It's a budget setup that will leave u wanting more. Better than Boom by a long shot but it really depends on ur patience and if u can save up and budget towards the end state best option.

The DD AW6.5 are the best full range speak going. Most of us addicts on here have tried everything from Polk to the $1k speaks and those DDs just seem to bring it. Crisp, clear, and warm as well. If ur strict on budget the DD CC6.5 are the little sister and do damn good as well. Components so ur gonna have to invest a couple more minutes into the install but components smoke coax.

Patience is the key.

T

Old 03-04-2017, 12:21 AM
Bike medic
Cruiser

So with separate tweeters? Where does one typically mount them?

Old 03-04-2017, 12:37 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Bike medic
I want to be budget friendly. Under 500 I'd say. I want an all around system as I rode a lot of highways but also a lot of city streets
C'mon Man! All that money you saved on that bike needs to go to your audio system. At least throw another $500 at it!! Then we can chat!

Quick Reply: Help me build my 16 SGS