Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"I don't want a competition system or anything....."

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 01:01 PM
BaggerAudioLab
Banned
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts
Default "I don't want a competition system or anything....."

I get this all the time on email and see it posted here as well. "I don't want a competition system or anything....I just want good sound". I'm curious what do you guys think a competition system consists of?

What I'm really after is what does it take to get good sound from a bike? I think if folks knew this they could set and manage expectations better and know where to spend money.

Old 03-30-2017, 01:14 PM
Kitsoldman
Cruiser
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Certainly a question I could have benefited from during the course of my build. The biggest surprise I got was how much low end is swallowed up by my pipes, I think I see bag lids in my near future.

Old 03-30-2017, 01:19 PM
paoloD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,692 Likes on 1,283 Posts

For myself when I cruise these threads ...to me a lot of you folks would have a " competition " classed system. If I see installs of multiple amps 8" subs, bags full of great gear. This to me is not only bloody awesome but competitive grade. Would I expect this type of system on a 500$ budget. Not a chance. Too me a nice basic system is just that . New head unit 4 decent speakers and an amp. Maybe a set of bag lids would be the next step up.

Old 03-30-2017, 01:49 PM
wideglide100
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My take on that is the unwillingness to forfeit saddle bag and tour pack space for audio components (not including bag lids and lowers). I think it's been clearly demonstrated that you can achieve great audio without sacrificing those spaces. And once you've committed those spaces for audio I think you're all in. Maybe for some folks it's a monetary threshold.

Last edited by wideglide100; 03-30-2017 at 01:51 PM.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:03 PM
FLYINGBROKE
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Competition in my head is blow the spl meter up. a system that is loud and tuned to play one song for system's max capabilities.At least 6 speakers and three amps all bridged.IN my mind I don't think I would like to listen to this system four hours on end let alone on week long trip.

ON bike and riding bike yet another battle. I think if I knew what I know now I my have stopped at front stage only on street glide fairing and lowers. lowers only cause like them and have the space if don't like lowers fairing only.

As a rookie I had and still have WAY to high of end goal in mind truth is what I want is just not possible on sled and I don't care how much money or skills you have sled audio is never going to be like rocking out behind the wheel of a cage.

All that said I find myself Really enjoying the time and energy that I have poured into my project and have no regrets.

Old 03-30-2017, 02:16 PM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

To me a competition setup includes extreme modifications and subs (not mid bass) along with needing a charging station after each 2 min sound off with the motor off. A lot of the competiriin bikes I've been seeing aren't gonna be going on much over a 2 hour ride if that. After seeing what some guys are doing for the SOS tour invite class (extreme), my setups with 8" midbass in the bags is pretty tame. They are making saddlebags and tour paks out of wood with specific air space for subs.

I just wanted full range of sound for back road riding and i think i have achieved that (road test pending lol). Can some of the equipment I'm using be used in a competition, yes. Will it win SPL comps, i don't think so. Does it sound great to me and far excede my expectations, so far yes. Even 8" midbass speakers are limited to the frequencies they can play. I can feel the bass in my chest, but it's not hittin the 65-70Hz and lower like a sub would. Will i feel the bass while riding like when the bike is sitting there, no. Will i hear the 8s from the bags while riding, i doubt it. This just works for me, plus i can always throw my stock bags back on if i want to pount out some miles or go across the country.

Last edited by matt76cmich; 03-30-2017 at 03:46 PM.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:18 PM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYINGBROKE
Competition in my head is blow the spl meter up. a system that is loud and tuned to play one song for system's max capabilities.At least 6 speakers and three amps all bridged.IN my mind I don't think I would like to listen to this system four hours on end let alone on week long trip.
Sounds like my set up lol. 3 bridged amps on 6 speakers and 4 horns, but i still wouldn't call it a comp setup.

Old 03-30-2017, 02:30 PM
BaggerAudioLab
Banned

Originally Posted by FLYINGBROKE
Competition in my head is blow the spl meter up. a system that is loud and tuned to play one song for system's max capabilities.

This is the type of stuff I'd like to clear up. The next big competition circuit starting at Myrtle - The Sound Off Series doesn't even use a meter. It's judged on sound quality, clarity, bass and volume. You get to play one song of your choice and a song the competition chooses so it must be tuned to play a variety of music.

Old 03-30-2017, 02:32 PM
BaggerAudioLab
Banned

Originally Posted by wideglide100
I think it's been clearly demonstrated that you can achieve great audio without sacrificing those spaces..

I'd say you can achieve "good" audio without sacrificing those spaces. Great is another category. But that's kinda my point....when someone says I don't want a competition set up folks need to understand "good" the most they will get out of it. If anyone thinks it's "great" that's only because they have not heard a true kick **** comp winning bike.

Old 03-30-2017, 02:33 PM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 161 Posts

all i really wanted was to hear tunes goin down the road... and i achieved that

Quick Reply: "I don't want a competition system or anything....."