Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Area 51 6.5 being road tested this week

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 09:05 AM
cpbedor
Road Warrior
Received 203 Likes on 165 Posts
Default Area 51 6.5 being road tested this week

Since the DD AW6.5 is on backorder until July, it's time to do a little forum research. The AW has set the benchmark for performance IMO but if people can't get them, it doesn't much matter how well they perform, right? So I'm thinking there's gotta be something else out there that can compete with this speaker...enter this mysterious little fella. As soon as I get some miles on it I will report back with my findings.
Name:  Area%2051%20speaker_zpsx1a3vr95.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  155.7 KB

Old 04-24-2017, 09:12 AM
MMXIWG
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Chris, are you using a known tweeter or horn with it or is that Area 51 as well?

Old 04-24-2017, 09:34 AM
pdevore
Tourer
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by MMXIWG
Chris, are you using a known tweeter or horn with it or is that Area 51 as well?
Chris just sings along for his highs and thinks he sounds good

Old 04-24-2017, 09:36 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by pdevore
Chris just sings along for his highs and thinks he sounds good
Don't we all Lol.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:51 AM
cpbedor
Road Warrior

The AT28 tweeter will be staying in place...but only because my voice matches up perfectly with it when I'm singing.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:27 AM
Covert Olds
Road Captain
Received 109 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by pdevore
chris just sings along for his highs and thinks he sounds good
lmao!

Old 04-24-2017, 11:35 AM
BaggerAudioLab
Banned
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

Man....there's no Area 51 stuff! As much as I would like to think there is, there's no secret equipment out there. You just need the time to find it, same goes for amps. Car guys have been using these products for much longer than we have. The real Area 51 stuff --- the "secrets" --- is the wiring, the tuning, the install tricks, the pairing of correct speaker combos with the correct amps, etc. and that stuff you can't add to your cart and hit checkout.

Funny story. I show up to an audio competition and pull up next to Henry who is now my business partner. I knew he was the guy to beat. So I let my stereo rip and he comes up to me and says man that sounds great what are you running, and I replied "some secret weapons". Dude named about 10 speaker brands. Turns out we were both running the same speakers! Ha! We've been buds since.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:39 AM
cpbedor
Road Warrior

Apparently Alex has appointed himself as the Fun Police today

Old 04-24-2017, 12:01 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

I think the Area 51 status has a few different meanings but the most important designation for the product application is intended to test the product via solid R&D prior to talking up the potential. Specs are a somewhat good tool to define a sandbox to play in but u just never know until the shix is on the sled AND rolling down the road. No sense in having guy's chasing the same unicorn until some product testing has been accomplished thus the initial secrecy.

Awesome stuff Chris!!! I know ur ears like the SQ and range that AWs deliver thus absolutely applaud your efforts for taking that specific sound and performance to seek improvements to that specific sound platform. I'm a huge fan of the full range sound that the AWs deliver in the fairing thus rooting for your success with this Area 51 testing!!!!!

Paying close attention!!!

T

Old 04-24-2017, 01:36 PM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailwind
I think the Area 51 status has a few different meanings but the most important designation for the product application is intended to test the product via solid R&D prior to talking up the potential. Specs are a somewhat good tool to define a sandbox to play in but u just never know until the shix is on the sled AND rolling down the road. No sense in having guy's chasing the same unicorn until some product testing has been accomplished thus the initial secrecy.

Awesome stuff Chris!!! I know ur ears like the SQ and range that AWs deliver thus absolutely applaud your efforts for taking that specific sound and performance to seek improvements to that specific sound platform. I'm a huge fan of the full range sound that the AWs deliver in the fairing thus rooting for your success with this Area 51 testing!!!!!

Paying close attention!!!

T
i can only assume its alpine? sorry. couldnt resist

Quick Reply: Area 51 6.5 being road tested this week