Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RF PBR300x2 No longer Powering Up

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 02:15 PM
Highwayman-AL
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RF PBR300x2 No longer Powering Up

I did a search and I could not find any answers here or on the web.

The question is should I assume my amp is now bad and needs to be replaced?

I have a 2012 Limited.
Rockford Fosgate PBR300x2
Infinity 62.11 speakers
Installed in January 2015.

I have the power wires directly wired to the battery both positive and negative per RF advisory notice of January 2013. I have the input wires directly connected to the wiring harness, and I have checked to make sure my speaker wires are +/- are wired correctly to the same on the speakers and the amp.

Gain is at 5, frequency is about 125.

I have the HK head unit. No remote wire as it used to light up when the radio started up.

The above is the way it has been since since install, and worked fine until recently.

The Problem

The speakers started crackling about 3-4 months ago, when the radio was turned up the crackling didn't get louder and the music drowned it out. I know it wasn't motor noise as it didn't change as the motor changed in speed.

About 2 weeks ago I no longer had any sound. Today I take the front fairing off and the power light doesn't turn on. I checked my wires, all are good and I didn't see any corrosion.

I ran new wires for the power directly to the battery thinking maybe the original ones were bad.

I wired a wire to remote terminal and the amp would then turn on, but the sound was very weak. After about 5 minuets, the unit overheated and turned off.

Should I assume at this point the amp is bad and needs to be replaced?

Old 05-13-2017, 03:04 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Highwayman-AL
I did a search and I could not find any answers here or on the web.

The question is should I assume my amp is now bad and needs to be replaced?

I have a 2012 Limited.
Rockford Fosgate PBR300x2
Infinity 62.11 speakers
Installed in January 2015.

I have the power wires directly wired to the battery both positive and negative per RF advisory notice of January 2013. I have the input wires directly connected to the wiring harness, and I have checked to make sure my speaker wires are +/- are wired correctly to the same on the speakers and the amp.

Gain is at 5, frequency is about 125.

I have the HK head unit. No remote wire as it used to light up when the radio started up.

The above is the way it has been since since install, and worked fine until recently.

The Problem

The speakers started crackling about 3-4 months ago, when the radio was turned up the crackling didn't get louder and the music drowned it out. I know it wasn't motor noise as it didn't change as the motor changed in speed.

About 2 weeks ago I no longer had any sound. Today I take the front fairing off and the power light doesn't turn on. I checked my wires, all are good and I didn't see any corrosion.

I ran new wires for the power directly to the battery thinking maybe the original ones were bad.

I wired a wire to remote terminal and the amp would then turn on, but the sound was very weak. After about 5 minuets, the unit overheated and turned off.

Should I assume at this point the amp is bad and needs to be replaced?
Amp is fried bro! Replace it with a Cerwin Vega B52.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/B52-Two-C...&wl13=&veh=sem

Old 05-13-2017, 06:22 PM
Highwayman-AL
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply, and the second question, what do I replace it with. Thanks a bunch.
Jon

Old 05-13-2017, 06:28 PM
cpbedor
Road Warrior
Received 201 Likes on 165 Posts

hahaha, see above in his response.