Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lacking bottom end bass. Another audio upgrade. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 09:34 PM
mgoldade
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lacking bottom end bass. Another audio upgrade. Help!

Ok, first off, I've been a member of this site for years, and read more posts than I can count. I want to thank the members that have offered advice in the past, and look forward to much more...

Current config is this:
- 2015 FLHXS
- 6.5" touch screen stock HD radio
- Rockford Fosgate PBR300x4 amp
- (1pr) Rockford Fosgate P165 in fairing
- (1pr) Rockford Fosgate P1650 in lowers
- 2 x BT355 Line Levelers (front and rear)
- radio flashed as Ultra (no amp) to enable front and rear channel

Never cut a wire as I ordered proper connection harnesses.

The system is loud AF, but is missing bottom end bass, even after playing with the BT355's. Audio source is an iPod Touch 64gb (high quality media files) which is only used for music on the bike (no other apps installed), which is direct connected (not using bluetooth).

I am now ordering the Biketronics kit with the BT7P1.14 speakers, BT4180.14 amp, as well as the BT471 Titan II 6.5" speakers for the lowers.

After I install them, am I going to suffer the same lack of bottom end? If so, how do I fix this?

Is this an issue with the Boombox head unit from HD? Will the BT355's really fix this with the new setup? If not, what do I need to do?

Old 06-07-2017, 09:45 PM
tesnevo
Club Member
Received 94 Likes on 78 Posts

Slow down buddy DONT ORDER ANYTHING ELSE YET!!
Just wait a few and there will be some damn good advice coming your way on what you need to get where your wanting to go.

Btw brother, I'm proud to have worked alongside the RCAF many-many times.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:16 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

As Tes has stated, DON'T PURCHASE ANYTHING just yet.

How much cash u gonna drop with BT?

The absolute best full range speaker for the fairing is the DD AW6.5. Pair it with the DD BT30 or the DD AT28 Tweet. U will need BT brackets if you go that route. If anything, seek Component speaks for the fairing.

BT speaks in the lowers will work well but several options depending what ur ears want.

Also, try and get an amp with ***** on it. The BT 4180 is a great amp but the ***** on most other amp will greatly assist in dialing in your speaks to your ears listening desires.

T.

Old 06-08-2017, 08:16 AM
mgoldade
Intermediate

I took a look at the DD components. Too much hassle to get them up in Canada. BT also offers a good military discount. All the reviews I've seen on here, the BT is great quality sound. Am I wrong?
My big concern is the audio output from the 6.5" HD Boombox head unit. How do I get it to send out a better raw signal to the amp?

Old 06-08-2017, 09:02 AM
cpbedor
Road Warrior
Received 202 Likes on 165 Posts

MG, I think what the guys are gently trying to say is that your stated problem is "lacking bottom end bass" will not be addressed by adding the BT amp and speakers. BT is an incredible company that sets the bar with their customer service, nobody here is or would knock Biketronics. What they are doing is telling you from experience that the reputation of a BT speaker is what we call "bright". It isn't going to drill the 80-85Hz range of sound you are looking for to where you feel it in your chest when you ride. Furthermore the amp in question, while again a phenomenal amp in it's own class is not capable of producing the sound at that frequency you are looking for. Its an amp that has a lifetime warranty. It's a bruiser and it puts out good power but the internal circuitry has the output pre-set at a level where they know it can't hurt itself.

If you have your mind made up, then of course, move forward on it. If the sticking point is getting a set of speakers in Canada seems difficult, perhaps pause for a just a sec and email alex@baggeraudiolab.com and find out for sure if it's hard to get them.

In reading your posts, your speakers are already loud. I fear that the end result of moving forward with your current plan will yield you more loud and that's about it. Whichever way you go mate, best of luck and please report back to the crew, eh?

The following 2 users liked this post by cpbedor:
Gannicus (06-08-2017), mgoldade (06-08-2017)
Old 06-08-2017, 10:26 AM
BaggerBill103
Road Captain
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by cpbedor
MG, I think what the guys are gently trying to say is that your stated problem is "lacking bottom end bass" will not be addressed by adding the BT amp and speakers. BT is an incredible company that sets the bar with their customer service, nobody here is or would knock Biketronics. What they are doing is telling you from experience that the reputation of a BT speaker is what we call "bright". It isn't going to drill the 80-85Hz range of sound you are looking for to where you feel it in your chest when you ride. Furthermore the amp in question, while again a phenomenal amp in it's own class is not capable of producing the sound at that frequency you are looking for. Its an amp that has a lifetime warranty. It's a bruiser and it puts out good power but the internal circuitry has the output pre-set at a level where they know it can't hurt itself.

If you have your mind made up, then of course, move forward on it. If the sticking point is getting a set of speakers in Canada seems difficult, perhaps pause for a just a sec and email alex@baggeraudiolab.com and find out for sure if it's hard to get them.

In reading your posts, your speakers are already loud. I fear that the end result of moving forward with your current plan will yield you more loud and that's about it. Whichever way you go mate, best of luck and please report back to the crew, eh?

I don't think it could have been said more perfectly than this. Great advice!!

Old 06-08-2017, 11:24 AM
BaggerAudioLab
Banned
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

MGold, send me a note...if it's a little bass you want, we can get you there!

The following users liked this post:
mgoldade (06-08-2017)
Old 06-08-2017, 03:27 PM
AAWAV
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by cpbedor

indeed - check with Alex...
on the BT, it all depends on which amp you got...
I got a "special" VERY limited version of the 4180 and call it the 4180+ ("yellow dot"), the low freq filter was "disabled" by BT when some of us "old" gang were talking with BT (bill at the time). I got lows for sure.
as mentioned over and over, downsides of BT are no gain control and the "crappy/tiny" push connectors. otherwise I do like the amp and it lives up to it's specs. not to mention the lifetime warranty.
I recently noticed BT got some even more powerful amps (or releasing soon) - you might want to ask them if they still have the build in high pass filter in those.

Old 06-12-2017, 03:28 PM
mgoldade
Intermediate

Alright, as always, the input on here is fantastic! I am holding off on the order of the BT setup. Unfortunately no matter what I order, it will not be here before I leave again for another tasking. Bike will sit in storage for almost a year...
When I get back, I will definitely invest in the DD's and the JL600/4. In the meantime, thanks for all the suggestions! Keep the shiny side up, and thank a soldier!

Old 06-12-2017, 06:51 PM
SgtMic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by mgoldade
I leave again for another tasking. Bike will sit in storage for almost a year...
When I get back, I will definitely invest in the DD's and the JL600/4. In the meantime, thanks for all the suggestions! Keep the shiny side up, and thank a soldier!
In a year, there will have been at least a thousand audio metamorphosis. LOL

Quick Reply: Lacking bottom end bass. Another audio upgrade. Help!