Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How subtle are the differences in speakers and their sounds?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 02:18 PM
SgtMic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts
Default How subtle are the differences in speakers and their sounds?

When comparing say DDs with tweets vs MMats with horns? Is it an obvious difference or just more noticeable to someone who is more in tune with audio?

Old 06-13-2017, 03:26 PM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

As someone who has the DD AWs in the fairing and now MMats, both with B3 horns, there is a very district difference in sound between the two. The AWs obviously play lower and have more of a full sound, if that makes sense, where as the MMats are loud clear punchy and have amazing vocals, but will need other speakers to compliment them for a full sound, again if that makes sense lol.

To me right now the AWs and tweets would be hard to beat as a fairing only setup

Old 06-13-2017, 03:51 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by SgtMic
When comparing say DDs with tweets vs MMats with horns? Is it an obvious difference or just more noticeable to someone who is more in tune with audio?
What are u trying to obtain? This goes back to that "finish line" discussion that is being danced around.

Do you want to sit in a parking lot and be a Kool decibel meter Kat, or do you want loud and clear full range sound from each sound stage at 80 mph?

How much u willing to spend?
U willing to buy new lids?
U willing to buy a TP?
U willing to get crazy with your TP?
U willing to drill holes in ur fairing or remove gauges for horns?
Pay $400 for grills that will house horns?
U willing to put amps inside saddle bags?
U willing to put speakers inside the bags facing the wheel?
What tunes do u listen to?

Answer all of these questions with confidence and u will without question clearly manage your expectations and obtain your audio goals.

T.

The following users liked this post:
uplandpinter (06-13-2017)
Old 06-13-2017, 04:47 PM
SgtMic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

I was asking more in general, not necessarily specific to my wants and needs.
In several threads here about different speakers and their "sounds", I was just wondering if the non audiophile would notice a difference? Or is the difference noticeable only to those who are tuned into their audio?

Old 06-13-2017, 04:57 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by SgtMic
I was asking more in general, not necessarily specific to my wants and needs.
In several threads here about different speakers and their "sounds", I was just wondering if the non audiophile would notice a difference? Or is the difference noticeable only to those who are tuned into their audio?
If u go fairing only AWs and Tweets v Mmats and B3s, you will definitely notice the difference and imho will be very disappointed in most fairing PA set-ups in the stand alone environment.

T.

Old 06-13-2017, 05:13 PM
FLYINGBROKE
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

For me BT then Hertz then aw then mmatts all sound very different and wife can tell also not that we always agree on what sounded better or how much better.clearity of speakers at ridding speed vs loudness of system and finding your happy spot is the unicorn.

Old 06-13-2017, 05:30 PM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 161 Posts

as michmatt stated, AW & tweets will be a warmer deeper sound, mmats and horns are great for loud, crisp clear vocals, especially in the mid and upper range. the best audio experience iv had was midwest meet n greet, a great place to meet other enthusiasts,and listen to other combinations. i encourage others here to try to organize something similiar in there area.

Old 06-13-2017, 05:53 PM
FLYINGBROKE
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Yooperhog, and all other participant's
Having the great opportunity you and the rest had can you say if there was any general consensus on the hole horn vs tweet trade off. I think a great thing also would have been to be able to compare 1,000 vs 3,000 system and feelings of net sound return, also PSM vs jl fix,
tell us more

Old 06-13-2017, 06:21 PM
BaggerAudioLab
Banned
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

Didn't like the JLfix. Not enough tuning options

(and I'm a JL dealer)

Old 06-13-2017, 07:47 PM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYINGBROKE
Yooperhog, and all other participant's
Having the great opportunity you and the rest had can you say if there was any general consensus on the hole horn vs tweet trade off. I think a great thing also would have been to be able to compare 1,000 vs 3,000 system and feelings of net sound return, also PSM vs jl fix,
tell us more
to be honest, i dont recall any talk of how much people had invested in their current setups, as i have never even really tallied it up. as far as the DSP, that is way over my head on the tech end of things, but im guessing the people that have them, as they continue to "learn" their capabilities, will do great things with them. im assuming the software will continue to evolve with those products
i guess it all depends on what your ears like and how far your willing to go
im already kickin around my next plan
might have to finally part ways with my kappas

Last edited by yooperhog; 06-13-2017 at 07:55 PM.

Quick Reply: How subtle are the differences in speakers and their sounds?