Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sound Quality Unicorn

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 08:47 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts
Default Sound Quality Unicorn

Been listening to a lot of vids lately and also several sled outings and I'm beginning to think that the sled audio Sound Quality Unicorn is deep in the weeds and getting tone deaf. Has the pendulum swung way to far towards chasing just loud? The BT7.1s at one point were beyond harsh and now those suckers would be considered warm based on some of the setups I have been hearing.
Point being, I'm thinking folks need to do a little recalibration and seek out systems that play full range music the way it was intended to be played by the artists in a studio. Could it be the amp tuning? The equipment? The EQing?

Maybe my Unicorn is becoming fairly conservative, but at 80 mph and half volume I think I have plenty more room for sound quality and zero need for more volume. Plus I don't really give a flying fuxx about the "look at me, I'm cool" factor when cruising around town or parked. My audio is for me and my dragon while riding it.

U guys picking up what I'm laying down?

Where is your own Unicorn? What are your audio goals? To each their own but just thought I would try and open a productive dialogue about sound quality based systems that play all of the wide ranging genres that most folks on this forum listen to.

Flame away!!!!

T.

Old 10-02-2017, 08:52 AM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailwind
Plus I don't really give a flying fuxx about the "look at me, I'm cool" factor when cruising around town or parked. My audio is for me and my dragon while riding it.

Flame away!!!!

T.
productive convo ehh.

Explain what a "look at me" setup is.

Seems to me lately that if someone isn't running what you're running its wrong.

Should be to each their own and if they like it more power to em. Their audio is for them, not you and vice versa.

Last edited by matt76cmich; 10-02-2017 at 08:55 AM.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:54 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by matt76cmich
productive convo ehh.
As productive as u want to make it.

T.

Old 10-02-2017, 09:30 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by matt76cmich
productive convo ehh.

Explain what a "look at me" setup is.

Seems to me lately that if someone isn't running what you're running its wrong.

Should be to each their own and if they like it more power to em. Their audio is for them, not you and vice versa.
That's the entire point of this thread. If u can take a song and play it in your car, your house, hear it at a concert, or bar, in a sound booth at a audio shop and then your sled, do they all sound the same?

Dudes come to this forum for exactly what I said right here. Is that what these sled setups are delivering? Or at least is that not the goal?

Don't get so butt hurt bro!!! It's just a conversation.

T.

Old 10-02-2017, 09:40 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

I say - To each his own brother. Some guys like Ford trucks and some guys like GMC, Chevy or Dodge. All good trucks. But guys like what they like. Simple as that for me. I don't judge Bro. Same thing with audio. Guys like what they like. My goals on this forum is to help them get there like someone on this forum helped me a long time ago. Bike audio is a different animal.

Old 10-02-2017, 09:45 AM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailwind
That's the entire point of this thread. If u can take a song and play it in your car, your house, hear it at a concert, or bar, in a sound booth at a audio shop and then your sled, do they all sound the same?

Dudes come to this forum for exactly what I said right here. Is that what these sled setups are delivering? Or at least is that not the goal?

Don't get so butt hurt bro!!! It's just a conversation.

T.
Not butt hurt in the least, just don't agree with where i think you're taking this. So if that's butt hurt so be it.

Old 10-02-2017, 10:08 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Gannicus
I say - To each his own brother. Some guys like Ford trucks and some guys like GMC, Chevy or Dodge. All good trucks. But guys like what they like. Simple as that for me. I don't judge Bro. Same thing with audio. Guys like what they like. My goals on this forum is to help them get there like someone on this forum helped me a long time ago. Bike audio is a different animal.
That's exactly my point of this thread G. Dudes come to this specific forum to try and find their way with the help of others. What kind of sound do most of them want?

Why is it that u will never hear a shixxy comment about a JL C5 or AW6 regarding plug and play sound quality? Is that the target when helping these guys out? JL Amps are killer!!! Hertz Amps are killer!! High end Hertz speakers are damn good but not quite loud enuff. Etc.....

What are the SQ setups that truly deliver for average and above average Joe?

What products and setups can we uncover that will deliver better with that same exact sound quality in play?

U have the same ears as I do G, so I know damn well ur picking up what I'm laying down about helping those that follow stay between the SQ lines. Imho, the pendulum is way off center.

At some point when u hit a certain volume goal for the typical riding envelope/conditions, the SQ focus should be front and center.

T.

Old 10-02-2017, 10:24 AM
Artexman
Cruiser
Received 84 Likes on 25 Posts

At Bikes Blues & Barbecue I heard many bikes that had great sound quality with lots of volume but on the flip side I also heard many that were loud and distorted to the extreme. I feel it's always going to be that way, it's just the nature of "to each their own". SQ should be a required course but we all know that's never going to happen. Prayers for all those affected in the Las Vegas shooting and may you all have a safe ride.

Old 10-02-2017, 01:55 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 185 Posts

Every system will be different and there is never enough volume. There is no system in the entire audio industry that will play every genre of music the same with the same quality. Tuned flat with no depth is near the only way to get close. Your ideas vs others are way off. Clean and clear is sound quality. Not warm and gentle. All in the eyes of the beholder. Eat a snickers or put the pipe down bro.

Old 10-02-2017, 02:33 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by slyedog
Every system will be different and there is never enough volume. There is no system in the entire audio industry that will play every genre of music the same with the same quality. Tuned flat with no depth is near the only way to get close. Your ideas vs others are way off. Clean and clear is sound quality. Not warm and gentle. All in the eyes of the beholder. Eat a snickers or put the pipe down bro.
Only missing one more guy to chime in, then it will be a completely predictable event.

BTW, I listened ur ur vids!!!! Wow!!!!!!!

T

Quick Reply: Sound Quality Unicorn