Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time to fill some holes design help needed please

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 08:59 PM
Stache18
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Time to fill some holes design help needed please

First of all, what a wealth of knowledge on here! I have been lurking for a few months and have learned more than I ever planned to and also realize how much i don’t know. Honestly the most helpful forum section I have ever seen. This will be my first trip into audio. I’m good with mechanical and electrical so why not, but picking the parts out that create a system is still not clear to me and I can’t afford a unicorn hunt .... this year

Bike: 2018 Street glide special anniversary denim blue
going for 6 speaker setup, fairing, lowers, lids with 1 amp in fairing
HU stays (Sirius, whim and cb, gps) going to make for some rearranging. It’s already crowded in there

Mix of 1up and 2 up riding
mostly rock / classic rock but other types of music as well (wife likes her 80s but that will be on low volume) will be mostly Sirius or iPhone playlists
going for a rider outcome. regularly ride 80+ on highway and also backroad 45mph trips
not into “bright” sound, more of a warm, thumping caveman kind of guy, always going for more bass and rythyms. (I know bass will be lost rolling down the highway, especially with those lids)
Not too worried about the parking lot or if the neighborhood can hear it 1/2 mile away but or course they will

Restrictions:
no drilling fairing for horns
stuck with HD lids due to paint color (have them and the grilles) but okay modding the basket
Nothing in bags or tourpack we need that for travel
Want FM to be reasonably useable

Budget: what it takes to do it right without a mortgage. Only get to do this once this year.

So after following and reading all the different approaches I am honestly not sure on the best approach to the speakers. Think I have seen somewhat of a consensus around mixing various types to get the best outcome.

Given all that :
1. Which amp, one of the 2 new shiny pennies (Focal FDP or the pending BT) or a tried and true ?
1a. What bracket to go with it or stock mount ok?
2. What is the best speaker combo to mix in for the 6 ?
regularly caught in rain on trips, (just lucky that way), so need to get lids so no leaky into bags
3. Lowers are blanks, no hardware grilles or anything else. Need grilles and hardware
4. Other than wiring, BT brackets and line leveler what am I not thinking of that will popup mid install?

Thanks again for the help .

Attached Thumbnails Time to fill some holes design help needed please-7b6822d8-0f85-42a1-b9d0-2409cb532a48.jpeg   Time to fill some holes design help needed please-f438c659-9356-4ec3-af8d-c2e23d44a24f.jpeg   Time to fill some holes design help needed please-b51597e2-9bd3-4092-8ff6-948adbcc6510.jpeg   Time to fill some holes design help needed please-78265cbf-8bf0-4b0f-a634-df2448ec64cf.jpeg  
Old 02-02-2018, 02:19 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

So you're looking at 2 sets of 6.5 speakers and 1 set of 5x7 speakers for the lids with a warm thump? Lucky for you. I've been down that same road a few times. Definitely want the BT brackets. So this is my story and I'm sticking to it. You want the DD AW's in the fairing with the Tailwind Tweets. Arc Moto's in the lowers. JL C5 570x in the lids driven with the Focal sport amp. For a full range system without horns or midrange speakers. That's as good as it gets with all the limitations you provided. Don't forget the BT355 line leveler.

The following users liked this post:
Stache18 (02-02-2018)
Old 02-02-2018, 04:08 AM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannicus
So you're looking at 2 sets of 6.5 speakers and 1 set of 5x7 speakers for the lids with a warm thump? Lucky for you. I've been down that same road a few times. Definitely want the BT brackets. So this is my story and I'm sticking to it. You want the DD AW's in the fairing with the Tailwind Tweets. Arc Moto's in the lowers. JL C5 570x in the lids driven with the Focal sport amp. For a full range system without horns or midrange speakers. That's as good as it gets with all the limitations you provided. Don't forget the BT355 line leveler.
The only thing I would add is 2 bt355"s if you want to have fade control front to rear. Since you have lid speakers from the factory (an extra cost for the lids) I will assume that the dealer has flashed the radio for the fade control. If not, have them flash it for an ultra. Four channel, front fairing/rear pod, no amp. I'm surprised that you were able to get the lids for your ann. special. When I bought my ann. standard, the lids were not available.

BTW damn good lookin scooter.

Last edited by travelingypsye; 02-02-2018 at 04:36 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Stache18 (02-02-2018)
Old 02-02-2018, 05:53 AM
Stache18
Cruiser

Thanks guys. It’s my understanding I can trim out the basket in the lids and do a 6X9. Correct? I assume it would be worth it.

Old 02-02-2018, 06:00 AM
Stache18
Cruiser

Originally Posted by travelingypsye
The only thing I would add is 2 bt355"s if you want to have fade control front to rear. Since you have lid speakers from the factory (an extra cost for the lids) I will assume that the dealer has flashed the radio for the fade control. If not, have them flash it for an ultra. Four channel, front fairing/rear pod, no amp. I'm surprised that you were able to get the lids for your ann. special. When I bought my ann. standard, the lids were not available.

BTW damn good lookin scooter.
thanks. Planning to flash and do 2 bts for fade. Only color match I couldn’t get is the rear fender / fascia to convert to cvo style rear lights. On one hand I get it but I’m trying to give them my money...

Old 02-02-2018, 06:07 AM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 546 Posts

Keep in mind if you go cvo rear fender you will have to go hidden antenna and with that you may loose fm reception from adding an amp.

Old 02-02-2018, 06:27 AM
Stache18
Cruiser

Originally Posted by travelingypsye
Keep in mind if you go cvo rear fender you will have to go hidden antenna and with that you may loose fm reception from adding an amp.
already done. Don’t use fm much but occasionally want it. Only antenna is the cb when doing Group rides since I road captain and our group uses it. Still not a fan of the sena Group thing but glad I didn’t have to wire in headset hookups on this one like I did on the 14.. Reloactaed cb antenna it to make room for tourpack.

Old 02-02-2018, 07:24 AM
black01
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Stache18
Thanks guys. It’s my understanding I can trim out the basket in the lids and do a 6X9. Correct? I assume it would be worth it.
To add a 6x9 you have to cut the basket out and use a kit from vtwin audio or American Hard Bag. There is no meat under there to mount the speakers to without one of those kits.

Old 02-02-2018, 08:00 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Stache18
If you go 6x9's and still want to keep it warm. Go with these:

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...hoCRGoQAvD_BwE

Other choices are the Pioneer 6900 and the DD VO 6x9's. Both have huge magnets. The JL magnet will give you that room in the saddle bag you're looking for.

Old 02-02-2018, 08:16 AM
Covert Olds
Road Captain
Received 109 Likes on 71 Posts

"Tailwind tweets"???

Beautiful sled!

Quick Reply: Time to fill some holes design help needed please