Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boom Audio & Amp Selection

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 10:31 PM
tylerfj24
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Boom Audio & Amp Selection

So I was having a conversation today and a question came up. Does anyone know if you can use Boom Audio Stage 1 or Stage 2 speakers and NON Harley or Not use a BOOM Amp (aftermarket AMP) with these speakers?

What about running a Harley Boom Amp (lets say you already have one installed but are unhappy with the speakers for arguments sake) can you run another companies speakers with the Harley amp?

Does harley lock us into using Boom speakers ONLY with Boom Amps and vice versa?

Old 07-20-2018, 12:24 AM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 546 Posts

Does harley lock us into using Boom speakers ONLY with Boom Amps and vice versa?
In a nutshell......yup. The boom system is a proprietary system with a 2 ohm off their amps and 4 wires running to each speaker. These speakers are bi amp and the signal runs to the tweeter and woofer separately.

Old 07-22-2018, 05:00 AM
MrEnigmatic
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm running factory boom amps with aftermarket speakers. I replaced all my stock HD speakers with 4 ohm MMatts and DD Audio speakers and it actually sounds better (overall) than OEM. the problem is, it still has the horrible factory tune in it so it still had the issue with distortion if you try to play any bass while the bike is moving.

Old 07-22-2018, 07:05 AM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by MrEnigmatic
I'm running factory boom amps with aftermarket speakers. I replaced all my stock HD speakers with 4 ohm MMatts and DD Audio speakers and it actually sounds better (overall) than OEM. the problem is, it still has the horrible factory tune in it so it still had the issue with distortion if you try to play any bass while the bike is moving.
What bike do you have and how do you have the speakers wired since the boom system uses 4 wires for each speaker?

Old 07-23-2018, 05:06 AM
MrEnigmatic
Intermediate

'15 CVO Street Glide. I have 6.5" MMatts and B3 horns in head fairing and VO69 and B3 horns in bag lids. all speakers are 4ohm and wired same way they were stock, 2 channels for horns, 2 channels for mid/woofers, bike has 2 amps, 1 in head fairing, one in saddlebag.
You're usually not gonna hurt any amp by going from 2ohm to 4ohm, it just cuts power. It's when you start going down in ohms that you'll create problems if the amp isn't designed to handle it.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:05 AM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member

'15 CVO Street Glide. I have 6.5" MMatts and B3 horns in head fairing and VO69 and B3 horns in bag lids. all speakers are 4ohm and wired same way they were stock, 2 channels for horns, 2 channels for mid/woofers, bike has 2 amps, 1 in head fairing, one in saddlebag.
You're usually not gonna hurt any amp by going from 2ohm to 4ohm, it just cuts power. It's when you start going down in ohms that you'll create problems if the amp isn't designed to handle it.
Thanks for that info bro. I have wondered if aftermarket speakers would work with a boom amp setup and if those amps were 4 ohm compatible.

Old 07-29-2018, 08:00 PM
rlager
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Mind blown...:)

I have a 2015 Ultra with the whole Boom II setup, saddlebag lids, etc. I keep blowing the lid speakers but have not found an aftermarket alternative to the lid speakers. Just so I understand how you have your current speakers hooked up - the original Boom II speakers have 4 wires (ie: two sets) for each speaker, one set (channel) for the woofer and the other set (channel) is for the mids/tweeters, or I suppose it could be vice-versa. One channel for the woofer/mids and the second channel for the tweeters as you have said.

I'm a little confused about wiring the aftermarket speakers - do you just cut the stock connector off and wire up some connectors for the appropriate speakers? The Boom II Woofer/mid stock connector gets cut and wired directly to the V069's and the tweeter side gets cut and wired directly to the B3 horns (or however it works out. If it turns out that one channel is for Woofer and one for mid-tweeters then you just wire accordingly). No crossovers involved, etc.?

Thanks in advance. Blowing the 5x7's in the saddlebag lids has been driving me nuts but I'd really rather not get rid of the Boom II amps and start over just yet.

Old 07-29-2018, 08:07 PM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by rlager
I have a 2015 Ultra with the whole Boom II setup, saddlebag lids, etc. I keep blowing the lid speakers but have not found an aftermarket alternative to the lid speakers. Just so I understand how you have your current speakers hooked up - the original Boom II speakers have 4 wires (ie: two sets) for each speaker, one set (channel) for the woofer and the other set (channel) is for the mids/tweeters, or I suppose it could be vice-versa. One channel for the woofer/mids and the second channel for the tweeters as you have said.

I'm a little confused about wiring the aftermarket speakers - do you just cut the stock connector off and wire up some connectors for the appropriate speakers? The Boom II Woofer/mid stock connector gets cut and wired directly to the V069's and the tweeter side gets cut and wired directly to the B3 horns (or however it works out. If it turns out that one channel is for Woofer and one for mid-tweeters then you just wire accordingly). No crossovers involved, etc.?

Thanks in advance. Blowing the 5x7's in the saddlebag lids has been driving me nuts but I'd really rather not get rid of the Boom II amps and start over just yet.
There just may be a replacement for those 5x7's. I have a set on the way to evaluate.

https://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/tms57/

Old 07-30-2018, 07:10 AM
MrEnigmatic
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rlager

Originally Posted by travelingypsye
There just may be a replacement for those 5x7's. I have a set on the way to evaluate.

https://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/tms57/
Thats exactly how I did it. I used the caps that came with the B3s to be safe but everything is Boom Audio. the rear amp has 4 channels. I started with V-twin adapters and made my own tweeter mounts. I'm sure any bi-amp speaker combo can be used. the new Rockfords look like standard coax speakers and probably aren't gonna work if you have the Boom 4 channel set up.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:33 AM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member

Great news MrEnigmatic! I wondered if there was a way to hook up aftermarket speakers to the boom setup. With what you have explained, I have a set of sony xs-gs 6921 biamp speakers. Without cutting the stock wiring, I think I can dremmel out the connections off a blown boom 5x7 and use it to hook up the stock wiring to that biamp speaker. Worth giving a try to solve this continuing blown speaker dilemma. Thanks brother.

Quick Reply: Boom Audio & Amp Selection