Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fade Control Not Working - RF Setup

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 07:53 AM
Fastdog
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fade Control Not Working - RF Setup

Preface: have ran through several searched threads looking for answers, which may have confused me even more.

I have installed the Rockford Fosgate Fairing and Saddlebag lid speaker kits in my '18 SGS. I had the Boom head unit flashed at an audio store with the techno research equipment. They flashed me to 4 speakers, Fairings, Saddlebags, 1 AMP. I installed the RF kit per instructions, and also installed rear speaker output to amp rear input harness (https://vtwinaudio.com/product/v-twi...kit-3-2-2-2-2/ ) and switched the amp to 4 Channel mode; I feel like RF should just provide this with the kit.

Sounds great, much better than stock once tuned a bit. HOWEVER, the Fade control does not work on the head unit. The option for fade is there, but does nothing, cannot even adjust the indicator. I thought by adding the rear output harness and going to 4 channel I would gain fade (didn't work at all the way RF tech and/or instructions asked for w 2 channel of course).

What flash do I need to for the Fade control to work on my setup? OR will Fade simply not work at all not matter what flash I have as RF have informed, and I should just go back to Fairing Speakers 1 AMP flash to remove the Fade option?

Thank you.

Old 08-30-2018, 08:22 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

We don't use that flash at our shop, but with the one's we've used you lose the ability to fade. The way "Boom" flashes work is that fade is controlled by the output at the Boom amp. With no Boom amp in place for it to control, there is no fade function.

The following users liked this post:
Fastdog (08-30-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 08:23 AM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 546 Posts

That doesn't make since to me. You have the fade control on your head unit but it doesn't work? Does it move from front to rear or when trying to adjust it does it simply not move and stays in the center? It sounds like you have it wired right. Front channels from the 2 output off the head unit into the front channels of the amp amp and rear output from the rear (one connector) to the input of the rears on the amp using the harness you stated. Amp is set to 4 channel input. No line levelers in play since you have the flash done.

Fastdog (08-30-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 08:27 AM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by haze324
We don't use that flash at our shop, but with the one's we've used you lose the ability to fade. The way "Boom" flashes work is that fade is controlled by the output at the Boom amp. With no Boom amp in place for it to control, there is no fade function.
What flash do you use to enable fade? I had my boom flashed for 2 amp/6 channel at a local indy and my fade worked just fine until I switched to the sony hu.

Fastdog (08-30-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 08:36 AM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,166 Likes on 3,522 Posts

The fade function is disabled with the flash. I installed my gear myself, and had the audio store flash the head unit and then tune the system. It is intended to be run in 2-channel mode. Once dialed in properly, you shouldn't need to mess with it anyway.

If you really want to run in 4-channel mode, you'll need a different flash that enables fade.

Fastdog (08-30-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 09:08 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by travelingypsye
What flash do you use to enable fade? I had my boom flashed for 2 amp/6 channel at a local indy and my fade worked just fine until I switched to the sony hu.
We never use fade.

Old 08-30-2018, 09:37 AM
Fastdog
6th Gear

Originally Posted by travelingypsye
That doesn't make since to me. You have the fade control on your head unit but it doesn't work? Does it move from front to rear or when trying to adjust it does it simply not move and stays in the center? It sounds like you have it wired right. Front channels from the 2 output off the head unit into the front channels of the amp amp and rear output from the rear (one connector) to the input of the rears on the amp using the harness you stated. Amp is set to 4 channel input. No line levelers in play since you have the flash done.
The fade option is there, shows up. But you cannot move it left/right (F/R). It will be stuck at a random spot each time the bike is started. No adjustment happens.

Regarding how I have it connected. Originally with fairing and lid speakers had just the front input on RF Amp, Amp set at 2 channel. All speakers play, no fade. Then got the harness to plug from Boom rear output to Amp rear input. If Amp in 2 channel, no rear sound, if set to 4 channel, I have have sound/music at all 4 speakers. But still, the fade controls do not work. The control option is visible and not 'grayed' out. It just doesn't react to any input or move at all.

Last edited by Fastdog; 08-30-2018 at 09:44 AM.
Old 08-30-2018, 09:43 AM
Fastdog
6th Gear

Originally Posted by strych9
The fade function is disabled with the flash. I installed my gear myself, and had the audio store flash the head unit and then tune the system. It is intended to be run in 2-channel mode. Once dialed in properly, you shouldn't need to mess with it anyway.

If you really want to run in 4-channel mode, you'll need a different flash that enables fade.
Which flash do I need that enables the fade to work properly? I tuned the sound stage and it sounds great, but i want the option to fade front / rear or if not possible at all, want to flash so that option doesn't show up on the head unit.

Old 08-30-2018, 09:58 AM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,166 Likes on 3,522 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastdog
The fade option is there, shows up. But you cannot move it left/right (F/R). It will be stuck at a random spot each time the bike is started. No adjustment happens.

Regarding how I have it connected. Originally with fairing and lid speakers had just the front input on RF Amp, Amp set at 2 channel. All speakers play, no fade. Then got the harness to plug from Boom rear output to Amp rear input. If Amp in 2 channel, no rear sound, if set to 4 channel, I have have sound/music at all 4 speakers. But still, the fade controls do not work. The control option is visible and not 'grayed' out. It just doesn't react to any input or move at all.
This behavior is normal for disabled fade function.
Originally Posted by Fastdog
Which flash do I need that enables the fade to work properly? I tuned the sound stage and it sounds great, but i want the option to fade front / rear or if not possible at all, want to flash so that option doesn't show up on the head unit.
I have no idea. Professional audio installers will tell you not to enable it. It should be set up properly by them and left alone, else you run the risk of blowing speakers by setting the bias wrong.

I will tell you that my system sounds great at speed. I would like more bass, but you have a trade-off to accept. Bass is useless at speed. They set them up for high-pass only and then set the fade accordingly. Mine sounds very balanced even at 80 MPH. I have no need to adjust anything.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:38 AM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 482 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by strych9
This behavior is normal for disabled fade function.

I have no idea. Professional audio installers will tell you not to enable it. It should be set up properly by them and left alone, else you run the risk of blowing speakers by setting the bias wrong.

I will tell you that my system sounds great at speed. I would like more bass, but you have a trade-off to accept. Bass is useless at speed. They set them up for high-pass only and then set the fade accordingly. Mine sounds very balanced even at 80 MPH. I have no need to adjust anything.
I don't see how fade can blow a speaker, it lowers the volume to one set, not the other way around. my dealer flashed mine for zero amps 4 speakers, and my fader works perfectly.

Quick Reply: Fade Control Not Working - RF Setup