Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

16 Ultra audio options

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 12:12 PM
Ridingon2
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 16 Ultra audio options

I'm in the process of putting together the pieces for my upgrade. As it stands now not adding any additional speakers just replacing the OEM stuff and adding an amp. I have the Hertz mille 6.5 and was looking to pair them up with? Would like amp recommendations as well. Placement of the Hertz is in question as well, fairing or tour pack pods? Appreciate your recommendations. TIA

Old 11-07-2018, 07:13 PM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 126 Posts

I'm in the same boat. 16 Limited Ultra. Just wanted a little upgrade, but ended up doing more than "a little!" My system is pretty nice, but it's missing something. I came to the conclusion that what's missing are speakers in the lowers. Amazing how much they add. Had lower speakers on a previous bike, and didn't realize just how much they added until I didn't have them. I'm adding some. My only recommendation would be to look into speakers in the lowers. Even if you don't do anything to the tourpak pods. There are speaker pods that can be put on lowers with radiators. If you don't have radiators in the lowers, it should be easier. I'm not an installer ---- only a listener! Just from what little I know, I'd recommend speakers in the lowers. I really think they make a "not bad" stereo sound a whole lot nicer. Just my unprofessional opinion. There are some pretty knowledgeable people here who can answer the technical questions.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:56 PM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 417 Likes on 364 Posts

Definitely look into lower speakers if you can. It adds a huge amount of sound that makes it easier to hear your music without turning it up so loud. I have my four front speakers on the front channel of the fader and the rear four on the rear channel. That makes it easy to blend depending on what helmet I am wearing and whether or not I have a passenger.

I don't have exact model recommendations for you since your bike is newer than mine but the more points of sound you have the more music there is to enjoy.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:07 PM
DLennartz
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I’m running Hertz Mille Pro MPX 165.3 6-1/2’s in the fairing and Hertz Mille Pro MPK 165P.3 6-1/2” Components in the Hogworkz lowers. Powered with 125 watts at each speaker from a Fosgate T400x4ad. The uppers and lowers sound blends seamlessly and loud and clear at 80 mph with plenty left on the volume control. Just my two cents anyway.

The following users liked this post:
duglaura&flhti (11-11-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 09:26 AM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member

I'll vouch for that Rockford amp as far as sound quality goes. I am using the TM400x4ad on my rears and like the EQ adjustments. I don't know how well it would do pushing fronts and rears though. I'm sure it would be better than stock it's just that very few folks stop at the basic upgrade they had in mind.

Old 11-08-2018, 11:07 AM
DLennartz
Cruiser

FYI... I run one T400x4ad in the front fairing and one in the tour pack. More Hertz in the pods.

Old 11-08-2018, 11:36 AM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member

I thought about getting a second one to replace the SS in my fairing because I love the EQ controls, but I know someone with the same head unit as mine (pre-Rushmore HK) and he said it degraded his FM reception a little bit. I may just hold out for an ARC 600.4 to regain the reception I lost with the SS.

With two of those amps though you could easily get by without a DSP.

Old 11-10-2018, 12:52 PM
Ridingon2
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok, you guys talked me into lowers as well. Looking at the Hertz Mille Pro 6.5 in the fairing and lowers and the Hertz Mpx 165 in the tour pack pods. For that set up which amp would give me the best sound? Anything i'm over looking? Line levelers or DSP or ... Will I be ok with the speaker set up mentioned? Been reading on here that some speaker combo's are better than others. Thanks.

Old 11-10-2018, 04:00 PM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member

The TM400x4ad is a good warm sounding amp. Maybe use one for the fairing and lowers? The EQ adjustments will allow you to make the speakers in the fairing sound a little fuller without having to use a DSP. Hopefully some others with Rushmore's can chime in. Also it may be overkill for the pod speakers but a TM400x2ad also has those EQ controls and could be used for the pods. If you are willing to invest in a DSP though hold off until you can gather more information. A DSP will require much more effort on your part but it maximizes flexibility and allows you to tweak the sound to your liking.

Old 11-10-2018, 07:26 PM
DLennartz
Cruiser

FYI... These HERTZ HCX 165 6.5" speakers work out well in the rear pods. The tweeters rotate so I had someone rotate them while playing a tune and facing forward sitting on my bike . There was definataly a sweet spot and that’s where I left them. Again a nice blend from the upper and lower fairings and the pods.

hese

Quick Reply: 16 Ultra audio options