Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Closest replacement for DD AW6.5s

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 12:13 PM
cfave
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Closest replacement for DD AW6.5s

I have been running the DD AWs for the past year + and I absolutely love them. I got out on the bike this morning for a ride in the cold and I noticed a crackle in my one speaker. With it being cold, I introduced power to them slowly but, when I got to the point that it was up to normal volume I noticed the issue. I am not 100% sure it is gone but I am pretty sure its going. SO if it comes down to me having to replace them, what is currently out there that can produce the sound I get from the AWs? I am also running Beymas in my lower and pushing them with an Arc Moto 600.

Thanks
Cfave

Old 12-18-2018, 12:21 PM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 238 Likes on 210 Posts

Reach out to blackpearl#1, I think he blew one and may have a good one yet he would sell.

The following users liked this post:
cfave (12-18-2018)
Old 12-18-2018, 01:06 PM
BlackPearl#1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by InthewindMN
Reach out to blackpearl#1, I think he blew one and may have a good one yet he would sell.
Already spoken for, but I went to the ML 165.3 and I think I like it a little bit better. I had them both in the bike at the same time and some said no difference and some guys with good ears, liked the ML better. I would also say to give the SV a listen cause I am hearing very good stuff about that speaker too. Also have a friend running the sound cubed 6.5, no clue what the model number is, but he's got good stuff in his bike and really likes them. Hope this helps
Kris

Old 12-18-2018, 02:50 PM
marshallb
Road Warrior
Received 173 Likes on 158 Posts

I really like the HAT L6v2 but they are pricey. I found an inexpensive Dayton audio speaker I'd really like to try, but my audio budget doesn't include an R&D line item. I've read that people like the Sinister Sound set up and I deduced what speakers they use and would also like to give them a spin but again no funds.
Getting back to the original question I would definitely put the HAT in the same caliber.

Old 12-18-2018, 02:53 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Agree w Kris. If u like the AWs and want to stay in that full range speaker sandbox, the Hertz ML 165.3 are damn tuff to beat. Just get the woofers and keep ur other stuff if it's functioning as intended.

T

Old 12-18-2018, 04:06 PM
marshallb
Road Warrior

Hertz naming scheme is a little confusing, are you talking about the Hertz Mille Series 6.5" Midbass Speakers - ML1650.3 with the neo magnet?
I'd like to hear those next to some HAT L6s.

Old 12-18-2018, 04:17 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by marshallb
Hertz naming scheme is a little confusing, are you talking about the Hertz Mille Series 6.5" Midbass Speakers - ML1650.3 with the neo magnet?
I'd like to hear those next to some HAT L6s.
Well there are 2 of them in the Legend class. The ML 165.3 and the ML 1650.3. The 1650.3 are the big dawgs, expensive as hell but I would put a case of beer on the 1650.3 head to head over the HATs in that tier.

T

Old 12-19-2018, 08:07 AM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 161 Posts

I have a good friend that recently dropped in a pair of Crescendo 6.5' Ultra Neo, and is loving the hell out them, but they do need an extended break in period, but they are a PA speaker. I have listened to blackpearls side by side comparison of the ML 165.3 to the AW, I had to lean toward the Hertz

Just my $0.02

Old 12-19-2018, 09:38 AM
cfave
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for all the good advice. I am not sure if I want to find a replacement AW or go with something different. I want to stay Full Range. I think that a full range paired up with the PA speakers in my lowers seems like a good sound all around to me. I looked at the MLs prior to going with the AWs but did not hear either of them before I purchased. Just went off the advice on the forum. I have been pleased with the sound. But it those that have listened say the ML are a bit better, I might just bite the bullet. Now when it comes to the 165 vs the 1650s outside of the price difference, what is the full range sound difference?

I am debating putting in something to my rear pods for when I have the GF on wtth the tour pack but I will need another amp for that if I want to really push things. Its getting to the point where it is going to be a challenge to ride so I will take all these options into consideration and go from there. Thanks again and Merry Christmas to all on this forum!

Old 12-19-2018, 11:43 AM
marshallb
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Tailwind
Well there are 2 of them in the Legend class. The ML 165.3 and the ML 1650.3. The 1650.3 are the big dawgs, expensive as hell but I would put a case of beer on the 1650.3 head to head over the HATs in that tier.

T
If I had the coin to get a set of HAT L6s I'd take that bet. I'm not overly confident but it's not a huge wager and when pressed I find a lot of people haven't actually experienced the Hybrids. Looking at some of the prices it looks as though tier to tier on retail price I could use the L6se vs the 1650.3. I've not heard this speaker but every tier of HAT has been better so far in my experience.

Quick Reply: Closest replacement for DD AW6.5s