Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 speaker upgrade for an Ultra with lowers

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 02:33 AM
Bluesman280
Road Master
Received 186 Likes on 157 Posts
Default 6 speaker upgrade for an Ultra with lowers

Looking to open up Pandora's Box. Looking to upgrade all my speakers. Looking for more volume, better sound quality, and hopefully a bit more thump. I listen to lots of new and old Hard Rock, a bit of heavy metal, and Blues.
Been reading lots on the Mmatts, Beyma, PRV, Arc, etc. I think it's time to take the plunge and upgrade my 2005 Ultra. Unfortunately I don't have the option of hearing any of these brands here in Canada as there are no dealers anywhere near me. Everyone around here runs Rockford, Hertz, or Focal as that's what's available. So I am going to have to rely on your guys experience to help sort out my speakers.

Current system:
Sony Mex BT 70 HU
SS PN 4.1000D
RF PBR 300 x 2
Infinity Kappas in the fairing
Pioneer 6.5" - 4 ways in pods and lowers.

Looking to upgrade at least 4 speakers and the RF PBR.

Hoping to keep the SS amp for now but will look at probably swapping that out with the Stinger SPX 700 down the road to get my radio back. Thinking of swapping the PBR with one of the NVX amps.
My bike spends lots of time without the tour pack on so the pods are not as important. Planning to add speaker lids over the winter, so I am planning that into the equation as an after thought as soon as I can afford it.

Budget aprox $1000, but it can be stretched if needed. The main focus is going to be getting the fairing and the lowers sounding good, and loud. Hoping to keep my gauges, if possible so I was leaning towards coax speakers.
Haven't added a DSP into the plans, but it may be a future consideration if needed.

Old 05-14-2019, 07:51 AM
cfave
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

What is your budget like? The speakers you are looking from the MMats and PRVs to the Beymas can be a substantial amount. I personally run the Beymas and they sound great but, it also was a bit more expensive to go that route.

Old 05-14-2019, 02:36 PM
Bluesman280
Road Master

Originally Posted by cfave
What is your budget like? The speakers you are looking from the MMats and PRVs to the Beymas can be a substantial amount. I personally run the Beymas and they sound great but, it also was a bit more expensive to go that route.
Budget $1000 but can stretch it a bit if needed.

Worst case i can just grab speakers for the fairing and something for the lowers that compliments the fairing speakers and makes a great 4 speaker system up front.

Can use my SS amp for now.

If I run low on budget room, I can settle with just the 4 front speakers for now, but definitely want to plan everything so it all works well together sound and volume wise.

Old 05-15-2019, 07:30 AM
cfave
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

If that is the case and you can afford them. The Beyma 6CX200NDs are the latest craze. Haze (forum member and professional installer) did a write up on them and found them to be a great fairing/lower speaker. Im not sure what amp works best with them but, I have read the Stinger amp is the Shix! Some on here have even started putting 8s in the lowers. IF that is an option. Juice (forum member) did a set up with the Beyma 6cx200nd in the fairing and the 8cx300nd in lowers and it sounds awesome. Look him up if your interested. He has posted in the VID sticky.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:50 AM
arlington
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

What don't you like about the pioneer 4 ways, they actually get loud, don't need a lot of power and sound great for the price?

Old 05-15-2019, 11:12 AM
Bluesman280
Road Master

Originally Posted by arlington
What don't you like about the pioneer 4 ways, they actually get loud, don't need a lot of power and sound great for the price?
The SS amp, the Infinity Kappas in the fairing and the 4way pioneers in the lowers and pods have done me well. I think for most guys, this is an awesome set up with plenty of volume. It makes for a damn good system at a decent price. For most guys it would be more than enough.
Out in the wind at 75 - 80 I have enough, but would like a bit more volume, and a bit more thump. I am constantly running the stereo, just shy of max volume.
I've decided it is now time to step in to some of the pro audio gear like the PRV, Mmatts, etc. I'm an old car audio guy, so it was only a matter of time and money before I made the plunge.
Hell I was probably one of the only guys running amps on my Goldwing way back in the early 80's.

It is time to get this 05 Ultra jazzed up with some unbelievable tunes. Just need to sort out some new speakers to get up to the next level.

Last edited by Bluesman280; 05-15-2019 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:19 PM
marshallb
Road Warrior
Received 173 Likes on 158 Posts

Are you going to buy a DSP?

Old 05-17-2019, 01:51 AM
Bluesman280
Road Master

Originally Posted by marshallb
Are you going to buy a DSP?
I have considered it, just hadn't decided if it was going to be a necessity. Figured if I stuck with Coax speakers I would probably have enough adjustment between amp xovers, amp gains, and the Sony
HU eq to balance and tame things down depending on speaker choices.

If I ended up going separates and putting horns in the gauge holes, figured the DSP would be a necessity then.

Which DSP would you recommend?

Old 05-17-2019, 06:41 AM
marshallb
Road Warrior
Received 173 Likes on 158 Posts

If you're going pro audio a DSP would be nice to have. I don't know if it's a need to have. I've heard bikes that sound good without DSP, but they pretty nice built in EQs. I like all the DSPs that actually fit under the hood.

Old 05-18-2019, 01:29 PM
Bluesman280
Road Master
Default Still looking for best speakers for Ultra with lowers

Currently looking at the Hertz HCX 165 or the DB WDX6 Gen 1 or Gen 2 for the fairing
Looking for recommendations for the lowers, looking at the Hertz HCX 165 or the DB WDX6 Gen 1 or Gen 2, or possibly the Hertz SPL for the lowers.

Rear pods, open to suggestions.
Considering adding a DSP - looking at the RF DSR1

Thought about the Beyma coax, but they are pricey buggers. Are they worth spending the extra cash.

I ride in all weather conditions. Not going to listen in the parking lot at all, so need volume, clarity, and a bit of thump at highway speeds of 70 - 85 mph. Listen mostly to hard rock, and blues. ACDC, Led Zep, Hendrix, Geotge Thorgood, ZZ Top, John Lee Hooker, Stevie Ray Vaughn, toss in a little Tracy Chapman, Supertramp, and Steve Earle to mix it up.

Will consider speaker lids over the winter as an add on. Open to swapping amps as well if needed.
Leaning towards Hertz and DB only because it looks like both are available locally here in Canada.

Quick Reply: 6 speaker upgrade for an Ultra with lowers