Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best 8" Speakers for lowers to pick up the lows?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 05:04 PM
mrmagloo
Road Captain
Received 77 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Best 8" Speakers for lowers to pick up the lows?

I'm hearing that we have some lower fairing pods coming - might already be out there - That are designed to fit 8" speakers. I just received a set of Moto-G2's that are going into the fairing so I'm torn between getting a second set of the G2's for the lowers, or hold out for the 8" lower pods to become available.

That said, I immediately thought of the PRV 8MR500-NDY-4 but was kind of surprised that looking at the specs it doesn't seem to reach much lower than the 6.5" 6MR500-NDY-4. PRV claims an even higher 95Hz-9Khz bottom end on the 8's than the 90Hz – 13KHz on the 6.5" which makes no sense to me??

So either way, what are some of the better 8"s out there that folks are using to gain a little low end grunt (yes I know at speed it's a non-issue)? I know already that the enclosure volume of the lower pods are going to be a big negative, but I'm hoping there might be something out there worth considering that will pair up nicely with the Moto-G2's.

I'm running the SD800.4S EVO amp, btw.

Thanks gurus!

Last edited by mrmagloo; 05-22-2019 at 05:05 PM.
Old 05-22-2019, 05:15 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Temper your expectations getting bass from the lower fairing. Those speakers should be mid range speakers and possibly the loudest speakers on your bike because they are so far away from your ears. Bass is always gonna come from your saddle bags. You want the lower fairing speakers LOUD with clear vocals.

Old 05-22-2019, 05:44 PM
mrmagloo
Road Captain

Thanks Gann, so you're not digging the thinking that I'll get enough highs out of the G2's in the fairings with a pair of 8's in the bottom will offer more bottom than the 6.5 G2's?

The other thing is, I think I've often heard the PRV's efficiency wise are some of the best out there. However, the 8MR and the 6MR are only rated at 96db, and the Moto-G2's are rated 103.5db, so that's kind of a head scratcher. I also noticed that DB claims 80-21khz, but no chart to qualify where it really starts falling off, so it's kind of hard to compare how a PRV 8 would compare side by side to the G2's for the mids and lows.

So I guess you are thinking not to wait for the lower 8" pods and just go with the second set of G2's in the lowers?? Yeah, I do alot of long distance touring so I can't take up any tourpak or saddlebag space unfortunately. Gotta do the best I can with the Fairing and Lowers only, and just hole fillers for the back pods as my wife mutes those anyway.

Thanks bro.

Last edited by mrmagloo; 05-22-2019 at 05:46 PM.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:21 PM
Ndfastln
Road Master
Received 157 Likes on 133 Posts

If your looking for a loud 8" in that location that will have some low end, check out the PRV 600X. That sumbitch is LOUD and clear. I put a set in some bags and they sound incredible. Not as much low end as the MB600FT, but can be crossed down to 70hz with moderate power going to them. Also DB has an 8" WDX8Moto that runs the same price as the G2's. But like Gann said your only gonna get so much low end from that spot.

Last edited by Ndfastln; 05-22-2019 at 10:23 PM.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:35 PM
IArider1
Cruiser
Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

For a midrange 8 inch speaker in the lowers id suggest Ground Zero Red baskets. Awesome speakers, with great sq

Old 05-23-2019, 12:22 AM
mrmagloo
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Ndfastln
If your looking for a loud 8" in that location that will have some low end, check out the PRV 600X. That sumbitch is LOUD and clear. I put a set in some bags and they sound incredible. Not as much low end as the MB600FT, but can be crossed down to 70hz with moderate power going to them. Also DB has an 8" WDX8Moto that runs the same price as the G2's. But like Gann said your only gonna get so much low end from that spot.
Thanks Bud - Yeah, I'm just trying to think ahead a bit. I have high hopes for these G2's I'm going to try and mount tomorrow. The 600x and the 600FT are both 8 ohm, so I'm not sure how those will match up. I was shooting for 4 ohm (I think?).

On those WDX8Motos, are those out yet? The site still says coming. But it looks like those have the Gen 1 tweets. I thought those were pretty harsh? Is there a version coming with the G2 tweets? Those just might be the hot ticket to give just a little extra low end.

Old 05-23-2019, 07:15 AM
marshallb
Road Warrior
Received 173 Likes on 158 Posts

When you're planning these more complex systems with PA speakers and larger than normal diameters it is more important to consider the package vs the individual speaker. Plus you won't be doing a one and done install to get to the finish line. Install what you have come back and talk about what you looking for next. Also you can't compare a coax to a component midrange they are different animals. I really like the 8 inch lowers but you still have to manage expectations as to what you want them to do. As Gann said if you want lower notes you need a large driver in the saddlebags/lids.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:24 AM
mrmagloo
Road Captain

I hear you loud and clear. Unfortunately, I'm not a bar hopper and parking lot DJ, so I need the full capacity of my bags and tourpak. I'm just trying to make the best out of what's possible out of the front, Fairing and Lowers. I could pretty easily just toss another set of G2's in the lowers and be done, which was my first instinct, but hearing about pods for 8"s, I figured it was worth exploring if that might offer just a little more on the low end. If nothing, at least I scratched the itch and I won't be second guessing myself. However, if someone was able to eek out a little more, I'd like to hear about it. That's all.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:28 AM
marshallb
Road Warrior
Received 173 Likes on 158 Posts

JL 8.8s in the lids, TP or saddlebag, is the tourers delight brother!

Old 05-23-2019, 08:55 AM
mrmagloo
Road Captain

Originally Posted by marshallb
JL 8.8s in the lids, TP or saddlebag, is the tourers delight brother!
Yeah, but I'm dealing with Tourer plus ONE, and my girl doesn't know how to travel light. I'm lucky if I get one bag for myself. Nothing in the rear except for the rear pods, but I'm never going to get any bass there. I gotta do the best I can up front, which is my domain.

Quick Reply: Best 8" Speakers for lowers to pick up the lows?