Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Hertz install in Road Glide Special

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 06:56 AM
Timberjkd
Tourer
Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Help with Hertz install in Road Glide Special

Hey everyone. Looking for some help on an install. I am upgrading my 2018 RGS and the speakers that I have are supposed to fit with "slight modification." They are Hertz SV165.1 6.5. I need them to fit in the speaker pods. I remember reading somewhere that the inner speaker pods need to be modified for them to fit. I cannot find any other info on the subject. Maybe I am not searching with the correct wording. Any help and pics would be greatly appreciated. I know that I can probably just go to town with a dremel and make them fit but I am sure that the whole needs to be sealed up some sort of way or I will be losing sound quality. I thought about just cutting them and using some extra dynamat to seal around them, but not sure if heat from the speaker would cause issues...help..
Thanks!!

Old 07-11-2019, 08:05 AM
cshocker
Road Warrior
Received 509 Likes on 411 Posts

Two ways you can modify them.

Heat up inside of pod to help mold plastic around speaker

Cut small opening on outside of pod where speaker magnet is to stick out. You can leave hole open or cover up with some type of tape or dynamat.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:23 AM
eggwhite93
Road Captain

Received 86 Likes on 67 Posts

Here is a picture of my modified Road Glide pod. Cover with some sound deadening and good to go. People have used heat but it takes a lot.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:46 AM
Timberjkd
Tourer

Originally Posted by cshocker
Two ways you can modify them.

Heat up inside of pod to help mold plastic around speaker

Cut small opening on outside of pod where speaker magnet is to stick out. You can leave hole open or cover up with some type of tape or dynamat.
So heat gun on inside and then quickly shove speaker in to mold?
Thanks btw.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:48 AM
Timberjkd
Tourer

Originally Posted by eggwhite93
Here is a picture of my modified Road Glide pod. Cover with some sound deadening and good to go. People have used heat but it takes a lot.

Wow that's a big hole...did it cause any sound loss or vibration issues? Did you seal with dynamat? Thanks for the reply.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:18 AM
wevsspot
Tourer
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Time wise your best bet is to cut the pod and then re-seal with Dynamat. Using a heat gun takes forever, and then you have additional pod material bowing out even further than the magnet itself. Clearance is pretty tight right there (note the thickness of the rubber bumper pads on the pods. You can wing the profile for the hole, or use a lump of play dough down inside the pod to determine exactly where the magnet is hitting.

When I did mine I just stuck the speaker down in the pod and rotated it left and right a little to leave a witness mark as a guide. My hole in the first pod is a little larger than the second pod (I learned from my first cut).

Old 07-11-2019, 10:21 AM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 482 Likes on 367 Posts

are these different size from the Hertz 1650.3's? I installed them in my 18RGS with only the biketronics wedge shaped spacer, I didn't need to modify anything.

Old 07-11-2019, 12:14 PM
wevsspot
Tourer
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes300
are these different size from the Hertz 1650.3's? I installed them in my 18RGS with only the biketronics wedge shaped spacer, I didn't need to modify anything.
That might work as well. Worth a shot.

Old 07-11-2019, 12:56 PM
Timberjkd
Tourer

Originally Posted by mikes300
Thats a very good question. I have some of those spacers here too...I think the SV models may have a larger magnet. Not sure though. I dont have 2 sets to compare.

Old 07-11-2019, 02:54 PM
Timberjkd
Tourer

Ok, I will probably just cut them if needed. I have to make some sort of tweeter holder to mount the tweeter under the grille as well. Trying to find something around to make a bridge from one side of the speaker to the other to hold the 1" tweet centered and just below the grille but floating above the woofer. How are you guys doing it - Or are you mounting tweeters some where else? Seems sorta limited on new RG fairing.

Quick Reply: Help with Hertz install in Road Glide Special