Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PN4.1000D Will it fit under batwing fairing

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2020, 12:14 PM
smittyrock3
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default PN4.1000D Will it fit under batwing fairing

I have a 2009 Ultra Classic with stock HK radio. I upgraded from Kappa 62IX in my fairing to Mmats PA601CX and the difference is night as day as quite a few people have said on this site. They are being powered by a Soundstream PN 2.350D. Plays much warmer and louder with the Mmats. I was thinking of upgrading my amp to the Soundstream PN4.1000D. I will remove the CB module that sits on top of the radio. Will the PN4.1000D fit on top of the stock radio without an amp rack. I also have Kappa 6x9s in my lids powered by a Kenwood KAC-M3004 which is a great little amp that I moved from my previous bike it's just underpowered in 4 channel mode. I don't have the tour pack speakers running right now. Thinking of maybe moving the Kappas there and powering the fairing and bags off of the 4.1000 and the tour pack off of the Kenwood or just simplify things and run the fairing and bags off of a 4.1000. The Mmats are so loud now I don't hear the lid speakers at all at highway speeds. Any suggestions in addition to my question of will the bigger Soundstream amp fit on top of the HK radio. I use an aux cable or BT module so I'm not concerend about FM reception.

Old 12-12-2020, 01:32 PM
cshocker
Road Warrior
Received 513 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by smittyrock3
I have a 2009 Ultra Classic with stock HK radio. I upgraded from Kappa 62IX in my fairing to Mmats PA601CX and the difference is night as day as quite a few people have said on this site. They are being powered by a Soundstream PN 2.350D. Plays much warmer and louder with the Mmats. I was thinking of upgrading my amp to the Soundstream PN4.1000D. I will remove the CB module that sits on top of the radio. Will the PN4.1000D fit on top of the stock radio without an amp rack. I also have Kappa 6x9s in my lids powered by a Kenwood KAC-M3004 which is a great little amp that I moved from my previous bike it's just underpowered in 4 channel mode. I don't have the tour pack speakers running right now. Thinking of maybe moving the Kappas there and powering the fairing and bags off of the 4.1000 and the tour pack off of the Kenwood or just simplify things and run the fairing and bags off of a 4.1000. The Mmats are so loud now I don't hear the lid speakers at all at highway speeds. Any suggestions in addition to my question of will the bigger Soundstream amp fit on top of the HK radio. I use an aux cable or BT module so I'm not concerend about FM reception.
— Yes a 4.1000 will fit on top of your HU without an amp rack. That will power your Mmats and Kappa 6x9.
— Plan out your whole system before pulling the plug because those Kappas are 2ohm and assuming your Mmats are 4ohm and not sure what your going to put in TP. And do you have both amps in fairing? The 4.1000 would also power mmats and tp speakers.
— you could go with a SD 800.4 S, 2 ohm to run Mmats and TP’s. Run bridge/parallel and get 200w to each speaker. Again, depends on what your end game is.

here’s a 4.1000 on a Sony HU of my 2009 SG. Just need some Velcro and shave down the extra plastic on back of gauges to get amp back

The following users liked this post:
scott_0 (12-12-2020)
Old 12-12-2020, 02:18 PM
smittyrock3
Advanced

Thanks for the input. I originally went the Kappa route to get the most out of my amps but it seems like once you start swapping and speakers they complicate matters. I have my amps in a saddle bag right now but I want that space back and don't want to place them in my tour pack. I have a buddy running 800.4 to Mmats in the fairing and bags and it gets loud and stays clear. The Kappas are not bad up front but the highs were a little harsh. I was debating on putting the Kappas I had up front in the tour pack but don't know if I really need them. Would be more of a matter of using them because I have them already. Might sell them cheap to one of my buddies that still have stock systems.

Old 12-12-2020, 06:51 PM
scott_0
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,952 Likes on 1,036 Posts

I've been eyeing this amp, think I'll pick one up before spring, not in a huge hurry at the moment

Old 12-14-2020, 09:00 AM
chaz00728
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up

I have had the Sounstream PN4.1000 for a couple of years and its been a great amp. Listen with headphones.

Old 12-14-2020, 10:16 AM
smittyrock3
Advanced

That sounds nice, I think that's the amp I'm going to upgrade to. I noticed a big difference when I changed my speakers out but I think my Soundstream PN2.350D isn't letting the speakers be all they can be. It's 115W @4 ohms but the PN4.1000D will give me another 25 watts per speaker. The PA601CX are listed at 100W RMS but they sound like they may be able to handle more.

Old 12-15-2020, 11:41 AM
smittyrock3
Advanced

Well after searching through countless threads I found a few that addressed fitment issues that some have had with getting the fairing back on with this amp but it seems doable although some seemed to have more problems than others. Ordered the amp last night and it should be here tomorrow. Biggest issues just seem to be making sure it's pushed back far enough and dealing with the ridge on the radio for the Ultras that separate the CB and XM modules.

Old 12-16-2020, 09:26 AM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 427 Likes on 371 Posts

Well after searching through countless threads I found a few that addressed fitment issues that some have had with getting the fairing back on with this amp but it seems doable although some seemed to have more problems than others. Ordered the amp last night and it should be here tomorrow. Biggest issues just seem to be making sure it's pushed back far enough and dealing with the ridge on the radio for the Ultras that separate the CB and XM modules.
I ran that amp on my 2010 Ultra on top of my stock head unit. Like others have said I had to trim a little bit of plastic from the bottom of the speedo and tach housings to get the amp to slide back far enough to get the fairing cover back on. That seemed to be the key to getting everything back together. I just put my CB module underneath my head unit. I also put an Arc PSM DSP beside it under there so I suspect your XM module could go there as well. Someone (maybe J&M) makes a bracket that will securely hold the CB and XM modules underneath the stock head unit if you want to get fancy. I think I just used some velcro to keep them from sliding around and got a large wire tie to wrap around the whole setup to hold them tight. Been that way for a couple of years now with no problems.

smittyrock3 (12-16-2020)
Old 12-16-2020, 08:06 PM
smittyrock3
Advanced

Thanks for the advice. Mine either didn't come with XM or the previous owner took it out. I don't use the CB so it will probably go in a box with my factory lids in the garage. I have a dremel so I guess either tomorrow or Friday I'll get to installing the new amp. Wife was shocked I wasn't doing it tonight but it's too late to start messing with the gain. Once I start I like to finish the same day when possible.

Old 12-17-2020, 01:02 PM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 427 Likes on 371 Posts

Thanks for the advice. Mine either didn't come with XM or the previous owner took it out. I don't use the CB so it will probably go in a box with my factory lids in the garage. I have a dremel so I guess either tomorrow or Friday I'll get to installing the new amp. Wife was shocked I wasn't doing it tonight but it's too late to start messing with the gain. Once I start I like to finish the same day when possible.
I think what I did was use a pair of side cutters (dikes) to trim the plastic off of the gauges. Once I was close to clearing out enough I smoothed off the sharp edges with the sanding wheel of the Dremel.

Also depending on the bike some folks find that the RCA plugs for the low level inputs line up right against one of the frame fails. If you are using the high level inputs I don't think you would have that problem. If you are using the low level RCA inputs and have clearance problems with them what I did was just cut apart the plugs on one end of the cable to expose the contacts of the plug itself. That part is very small and barely sticks out past the end of the RCA socket when plugged in. I then soldered the wires to the plugs at right angles so they would clear. Once that was done I just put some silicone on them for insulation. You may not have to get that creative but I thought I'd mention it in case you had that problem.

Good luck.

smittyrock3 (12-18-2020)