Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2021 FLHTP Cop bike radio install Canbus question

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2023, 10:53 AM
urslo
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 2021 FLHTP Cop bike radio install Canbus question

I'm the proud owner of a 2021 FLHTP cop bike, that I bought new from my local dealership. I like the standard features of the cop bikes as opposed to the basic Electra Glide Standards.
When I bought it, I really had no intensions of adding a radio, but now here I am. The FLHTP Electra glide bikes do not have any/NONE Boom radio wiring, lots of cop bike stuff wiring.

I've bought and installed:
  • Metra BC-9700P Police bike radio power harness that has the hand controls canbus wiring.
  • Harley 2021+ lighted hand controls needed to replace the Police red siren buttons
  • used Harley Boom 4.3 radio and it didn't seem to work
  • Soundstream HDHU14+ radio. Soundstream uses the factory/Metra style wiring.
(Now I believe the Harley Boom 4.3 radio might be good as the Soundstream will not power up either).

I've checked every fuse on the bike and harnesses and verified the can bus voltage was making it through the Metra harness, via the hand controls plugs, to the radio.
I've ordered another Metra harness incase on of the canbus pins are not making good contact with the radio T-harnesses.

After a trip to the local friendly dealership. They plugged my Soundstream into a bike on the lift and low behold the Soundstream fired right up.
I know the radio needs to see a canbus signal to recognize when you turn on/off the bike, because the Metra harness only has a 12 volt constant power & ground wire
The only thing I cant seem to get an answer to is,
  1. what would the canbus voltage be to the actual radio? (it's 5 volts at the control wiring and 2.5 volts at the T-harness/radio)
  2. does the radio only need 4 wires to power up? (+,-, canbus high & low)
  3. are the hand control buttons changing the canbus voltage or inducing a resistance/capacitance signal when you press the buttons ?
I'm almost to the point of buying a used 2021 Street glide main harness and rewire the bike.

Is there a canbus guru here?

Thanks

Old 08-16-2023, 05:52 AM
2017M8
Tourer

Received 150 Likes on 96 Posts

Depending on where you purchased your Soundstream / Metra harness you may want to reach out to them as they have daily workings and insider knowledge of this newer radio. I know Jay at Volunteer Audio has a Police bike not sure what year etc but he may point you in the right direction, as he installs these systems on a daily basis,

The following users liked this post:
urslo (08-16-2023)
Old 08-16-2023, 06:57 AM
Babyboy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 390 Posts

I just recently did the same as you with a 19 FLHTP and converted it to a civilian FLHTX.

I I used the same harness 9700p, swapped hand contols and installed the SS HDHU.14+.

I did find the radio fuse in the OEM fuse box blown and the P/A fuse also blown.
Make sure that the P&A relay is working as it should.

Do you have the CAN BUS plug from the 9700P harness for the hand controls hooked up to the left or right hand control?

urslo (08-16-2023)
Old 08-16-2023, 05:47 PM
urslo
Cruiser

I have the canbus at the hand controls connected to the clutch side, since that’s where all the radio stuff is at. I did check all the bikes fuses and the Metra harness fuses. I do have canbus voltage but the radio isn’t powering on.
I bought the radio from Volunteer Audio and have spoken with their tech support. They suggested swapping the hand control canbus wiring to the opposite side and I will try. I’m not hopeful about that because under the radio, all the canbus wiring is connected together.
Upon further investigation, I noticed that the BCM has a “radio installed “ option, so maybe a trip to the dealership is upcoming.
I will post updates as the bike is a winner in my book.

Old 08-16-2023, 10:02 PM
Babyboy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by urslo
I have the canbus at the hand controls connected to the clutch side, since that’s where all the radio stuff is at. I did check all the bikes fuses and the Metra harness fuses. I do have canbus voltage but the radio isn’t powering on.
I bought the radio from Volunteer Audio and have spoken with their tech support. They suggested swapping the hand control canbus wiring to the opposite side and I will try. I’m not hopeful about that because under the radio, all the canbus wiring is connected together.
Upon further investigation, I noticed that the BCM has a “radio installed “ option, so maybe a trip to the dealership is upcoming.
I will post updates as the bike is a winner in my book.
Can bus plug from 9700p is supposed to be connected to the left hand control can bus wiring.

Just taking a WAG here did you use the supplied harness that came with the HU and the control module that was included??

Check the pins in the hand control module where the plugs plug in. I have found that if the plug is not installed into the module straight it will bend 1 or more of the pins.

urslo (08-17-2023)
Old 08-17-2023, 09:52 AM
urslo
Cruiser
Default Success !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Low and behold, the skies have parted and smiled upon me. It's working

I'm not 100 % sure which particular troubleshooting advice from Volunteer Audio worked, but it did, even though I, as an electrician doubted the process.

1. swapped the canbus wires from the clutch side to the brake side built into the Metra BC-9700P harness. (its a "in and out" design)
OR
2. plugging in the T-harness into the radio first before the Metra BC-9700P power harness (which is constant hot, direct to the battery)

Thanks for the help guys, the Harley canbus really does make wiring in accessories easier if you follow the protocol.

Last edited by urslo; 08-17-2023 at 09:53 AM. Reason: addition
Goose_NC (08-17-2023)
Old 02-18-2024, 08:21 AM
o66jax
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2021 flhtp questions

urslo,

I know this is an older post, but I also just recently purchased a 2021 flhtp and was initially going to install a ham radio on the bike. Now
I thinking of just going with a normal radio. I just was curious as to what radio you ended up putting in your bike? Was it the sound stream?
and do you or anyone here know if you can put an older Harley radio in the bike pre 2021 series radios? ( example: older Harley GT radio with 4 buttons)

thanks for your time

chris

Originally Posted by urslo
Low and behold, the skies have parted and smiled upon me. It's working

I'm not 100 % sure which particular troubleshooting advice from Volunteer Audio worked, but it did, even though I, as an electrician doubted the process.

1. swapped the canbus wires from the clutch side to the brake side built into the Metra BC-9700P harness. (its a "in and out" design)
OR
2. plugging in the T-harness into the radio first before the Metra BC-9700P power harness (which is constant hot, direct to the battery)

Thanks for the help guys, the Harley canbus really does make wiring in accessories easier if you follow the protocol.

Old 02-21-2024, 11:15 AM
urslo
Cruiser

Originally Posted by o66jax
urslo,

I know this is an older post, but I also just recently purchased a 2021 flhtp and was initially going to install a ham radio on the bike. Now
I thinking of just going with a normal radio. I just was curious as to what radio you ended up putting in your bike? Was it the sound stream?
and do you or anyone here know if you can put an older Harley radio in the bike pre 2021 series radios? ( example: older Harley GT radio with 4 buttons)

thanks for your time

chris
I installed the older version Soundstream radio, just wanted the Apple Carplay features for maps and iTunes features.