Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rockford Fosgate PBR300X2 or PBR300X4???

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 11:15 PM
WestTexasRanger
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Rockford Fosgate PBR300X2 or PBR300X4???

I have a set of Biketronics 6.5 Titan XL II speakers (Hybrid Audio Techology) that I'll be installing in the batwing of my 2011 Ultra Classic.

I've been researching several amps and have decided that the best performance per dollar is the Rockford Fosgate.

It appears from the RF website that the PBR300x4 is only compatible with 4 ohm speakers, so using it for the OEM rear speakers (2 ohm) isn't an option. I'm also assuming that even if I change the rear speakers, the speaker wiring from the Harmon-Kardon head unit would need to be changed to a heavier gauge to handle the additional wattage.

Should I go with the X2 and get 100 watts to my new front speakers or should I go with the X4 with 75 watts to the new speakers and have the ability to upgrade the rear speakers later?

I'm not sure if it is really worth it to upgrade the rear speakers, but would appreciate feedback on this as well as which amp to go with.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:07 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

I don't see on the biketronics site where these are 2ohm or 4 ohm speakers so I'll assume they are 2ohm since they are a direct replacement for stock speakers using a stock radio.

1.) first off, the rear speaker change will be worth more to your audio experience than you can imagine, so yes I would change them.

2.) this is not some $50k audio system that you need to make sure highs, mids, and lows are reproduced with unsurpassed accuracy. It's a motorcycle. Changing the speaker wires is a futile effort and a total waste of time. What's there is more than sufficient for what you're doing.

3.) The amp choice is directly dependent upon what your future plans are. If you're wanting to power your front speakers only, then the X2 is a no brainer. If you want to power the rear speakers, I would add a 2nd X2 for the rears.

I've been through multiple configurations over the years of speaker, radio, and amp setups and without breaking the bank, the polk audio mm651 speakers in the fairing and the rear speaker pods (yes the mm651s fit perfectly in the rear pods with no modifications) and 2 pbr300x2 amps powering this is the ticket. Yes there are much better speakers and amps out there but we are talking about saving that extra $ for further bike mods. You will be very pleased with the biketronics speakers front and rear, and 2 pbr300x2 amps powering your system.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:47 AM
wjl24
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
I don't see on the biketronics site where these are 2ohm or 4 ohm speakers so I'll assume they are 2ohm since they are a direct replacement for stock speakers using a stock radio.

1.) first off, the rear speaker change will be worth more to your audio experience than you can imagine, so yes I would change them.

2.) this is not some $50k audio system that you need to make sure highs, mids, and lows are reproduced with unsurpassed accuracy. It's a motorcycle. Changing the speaker wires is a futile effort and a total waste of time. What's there is more than sufficient for what you're doing.

3.) The amp choice is directly dependent upon what your future plans are. If you're wanting to power your front speakers only, then the X2 is a no brainer. If you want to power the rear speakers, I would add a 2nd X2 for the rears.

I've been through multiple configurations over the years of speaker, radio, and amp setups and without breaking the bank, the polk audio mm651 speakers in the fairing and the rear speaker pods (yes the mm651s fit perfectly in the rear pods with no modifications) and 2 pbr300x2 amps powering this is the ticket. Yes there are much better speakers and amps out there but we are talking about saving that extra $ for further bike mods. You will be very pleased with the biketronics speakers front and rear, and 2 pbr300x2 amps powering your system.
I agree with everything he said, however, my set up is the Biketronics Hybrid speakers in front, PBR300X4 amp and Polk dxi650 in rear. They fit right in, jusy drill new mounting holes. No need to upgrade wiring. I was told by several people that rear speakers are a waste. Now that I've done the upgrade I couldn't disagree more. I've heard bikes were they have no rears or didn't upgrade them or power them and there's a big difference.
I'm very happy with my set up.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:34 AM
WestTexasRanger
Road Master

You're correct, for some reason Biketronics doesn't list the ohm rating for these speakers on their site. When shopping for speakers, I found the following information on the Dennis Kirk website:

Titan II speakers provide significant increase in bass, mid- and high-range sound over stock speakers; 4 ohm, 100-watt continuous power (200-watt peak)

Maybe someone who has these in their bike can chime-in and verify the ohm rating.

Why would you recommend running two of the 2-channel amps over just the singe 4-channel amp? I realize that I will have more power to drive each set of speakers but we're talking about another $175.00 for another 2-channel amp.

Thanks for your help!

Old 09-30-2012, 10:46 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

ok so they're 4 ohm. as I stated earlier I was assuming they were 2ohm. In this case you want to use the pbr300x4 with a pair of speakers in the rear that are 4 ohm as well. don't use 2 ohm speakers with this amp. It will heat up and clip.

Old 09-30-2012, 12:50 PM
WestTexasRanger
Road Master

ok so they're 4 ohm. as I stated earlier I was assuming they were 2ohm. In this case you want to use the pbr300x4 with a pair of speakers in the rear that are 4 ohm as well. don't use 2 ohm speakers with this amp. It will heat up and clip.
I'm not 100% sure the Biketronics are 4 ohm. The Dennis Kirk Website is the only place that actually stated "4 ohms".

I haven't heard any of the 6.5" speakers, much less in a batwing fairing, so I made the decision to buy the Biketronics Titan II based solely on reviews.

Have you by chance been able to do a side by side (ear by ear) comparison of the Polk MM651 versus the Titan II?

Also, are you running the MM651 or the MM651UM?

Old 09-30-2012, 05:36 PM
WestTexasRanger
Road Master

Here's a picture of the inside of my Ultra Classic batwing. As you can see, I have the CB module mounted on top of the radio.

Do I need to install one of the aftermarket "module" plates so that the amp will sit level?

Am I correct that the Rockford amp will sit long-ways (left to right) in relation to the radio as shown in the photo?

Thanks guys for the help!

Attached Thumbnails Rockford Fosgate PBR300X2 or PBR300X4???-stereo.jpg  
Old 09-30-2012, 07:22 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WestTexasRanger
Here's a picture of the inside of my Ultra Classic batwing. As you can see, I have the CB module mounted on top of the radio.

Do I need to install one of the aftermarket "module" plates so that the amp will sit level?

Am I correct that the Rockford amp will sit long-ways (left to right) in relation to the radio as shown in the photo?

Thanks guys for the help!
You will need something to make it sit level, or you can contact a forum member by email and buy a bracket that will relocate the CB to the bottom and provide a mounting surface on top of the radio. By not mounting it directly on top, you will get better airflow around the amp.

ezzell141@comcast.net

It was around $60 with shipping, but it is a professionally made item. I don't have any pictures of mine yet because I haven't had time to install my PBR300x4, but it's going to make it look a lot more professional than velcro.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:51 PM
WestTexasRanger
Road Master

Thanks Pioneer74! I've already sent an email to Scott about his bracket.

Hawg Wired makes what they call a Harman/Kardon Dummy Module that bolts in beside the CB radio module and makes a level platform for the amp. With shipping, it's around $25.00. In the photo shown, it is filling in the CB space, next to an XM module, but works on either side.

Attached Thumbnails Rockford Fosgate PBR300X2 or PBR300X4???-hka150-2.jpg  
Old 09-30-2012, 08:46 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WestTexasRanger
Thanks Pioneer74! I've already sent an email to Scott about his bracket.

Hawg Wired makes what they call a Harman/Kardon Dummy Module that bolts in beside the CB radio module and makes a level platform for the amp. With shipping, it's around $25.00. In the photo shown, it is filling in the CB space, next to an XM module, but works on either side.
My opinion, the bracket will be better. It will give you the option of having enough space on top of the radio should you ever decide to install a second amp for saddlebag speakers, and it still promotes better airflow for both the radio and amp(s).

Quick Reply: Rockford Fosgate PBR300X2 or PBR300X4???