Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soundstream and Polk db651's

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 06:41 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Soundstream and Polk db651's

Several weeks ago, I added the Soundstream amp and Polk db651's. Just now I was looking at another thread, and it mentioned the db651's are 4 ohm, and the mm651's are 2 ohm. UltraNutz did the install for me, along with the Sony 310. I'm a audio noob, but I believe the amp is bridged. At any rate, it sounded great, but the next day I popped the right one (fairing mounted only). I turned the gain down a bit and put in a right db651. Sounded good with the accessory switch on, but when it's fired up I hear ignition noise on that one side. Last week I popped the left side, and replaced that one too. In addition, I lost all radio reception. I can stream my phone, but it's a drag to not be able to use the radio. Should I be running 2 ohm speakers? Anyone else have the reception issues with the Soundstream amp? Kinda at a loss on what to do next....

Old 03-18-2013, 07:11 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

dang man.. listening to that Patsy Cline a little too loud? LOL

seriously though.. When you turned your gain down did you maybe loosen the right side RCA cable either at the radio or at the amp? Maybe the RCA outer is touching something metal which will cause noise injection.

As for the FM, have you by chance tried that powered antenna amplifier on your in-fairing antenna.

According to the specs on the DB651 they should be able to handle the power with the way I had the gains set. I would say no to the 2 ohm speakers because then you'll only be able to use front outputs of the amp. We might want to look into the Titan II speakers which are HAT speakers

Old 03-18-2013, 09:59 PM
blue66
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Running that amp, with dxi650's...same speaker. Sounds SUPER......BUT.... Amp also kills my FM reception. Unplug amp and hook up speakers, I get a TON of channels.....turn on amp, I get 1 or 2..........hmmmm. Is this just the nature of a class d amp? Or is there any solution besides mp3's? Not a deal breaker but I do still like my FM now and then.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:26 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

No, I haven't tried that antenna yet, but I can't find that link you sent. Can you resend it please? As for the noise, it became apparent BEFORE I made any gain changes. Popped the speaker, swapped it out, and ignition noise from the right side upon start up. No noise on the other side. As for the amp, I'd just as soon run a different one if that's what it takes to have radio reception.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:22 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by blue66
Running that amp, with dxi650's...same speaker. Sounds SUPER......BUT.... Amp also kills my FM reception. Unplug amp and hook up speakers, I get a TON of channels.....turn on amp, I get 1 or 2..........hmmmm. Is this just the nature of a class d amp? Or is there any solution besides mp3's? Not a deal breaker but I do still like my FM now and then.
Unfortunately it is the nature of the beast with Class D amps because of the switching outputs they use.

john and blue66. I would try something like this before giving up on the amp.

Hidden Antenna Radio Stereo Am FM Stealth Universal Vehicle Car Truck Motorcycle | eBay

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_068WPA2...1-Antenna.html

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...umber=265-5801

Amazon.com: Car Boat RV Radio Stereo FM AM Antenna Signal Booster Amplifier: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Car Boat RV Radio Stereo FM AM Antenna Signal Booster Amplifier: Car Electronics

http://www.amazon.com/Hidden-Antenna...=5336075432-20

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 03-19-2013 at 07:54 AM.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:08 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

So Ultra, what about class G amps? Are there any advantages vs the D's? If you had a choice of amps and the price of each were equal, which would you pick? Thanks

Old 03-19-2013, 03:22 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

the major advantage is none of the EMI effects (FM interference)

the major disadvantage is THD (total harmonic distortion) numbers will increase because of the "rail-design" or "boosted rail design"

The Rockford Fosgate PBR300x4 and PBR300x2 are labeled as Class BR but in reality they are Class G/H amps.

I don't listen to FM at all so my choice would be the quality and clarity of sound vs FM

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 03-19-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:32 PM
WestTexasRanger
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by just plain john
I popped the right one (fairing mounted only). I turned the gain down a bit and put in a right db651......... Last week I popped the left side, and replaced that one too.
The DB651's are rated at 60 watts RMS. I can see how you could easily over-drive these with the Soundstream. The MM651's are rated at 100 watts RMS and I would imagine that you'd blow an eardrum before you blew one of these.

If you need to stay with a 4 ohm speaker, I'd highly recommend the Biketronics Titan II 6.5.

I haven't used my radio since my installation of the Soundstream & Polk MM's, so I guess I'd better go see if I'm having reception issues with the stock Harley head unit.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:59 PM
blue66
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the PBR300x2 run hot like the 4channel?
Not that I am...... but If it comes down to it.....The PBR 300x2 with my 4 ohm speakers hooked up parallel to give a 2 ohm load? Just would have no fade capability or separate gain adjustability frt to rear correct?

Old 03-19-2013, 04:17 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

the 300x2 doesn't run anywhere near as hot as the 300x4. And yes sir you are correct on the rest of your question.

Quick Reply: Soundstream and Polk db651's