Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead Center Fairing - Amp Fitment?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 04:44 PM
reesestewww
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Dead Center Fairing - Amp Fitment?

In my research for trying to make a decision on what kind of tunes I'd like to add to my Road King I'm considering a fairing - amongst other options.

IMO Dead Center manufactures the highest quality fairing and if I decide to add a fairing I believe it will be a DC. Does anyone have experience with what size amp can fit inside the DC fairing? I'd like to add a 4ch amp or a 2ch that can run at a 2ohm stereo load. This way I'll have the equipment to power additional rear speakers if and when I decide.....However the MM651's may through a wrench in this at 2.7ohm....But I'll cross that bridge when I get there...

Thanks!

UPDATE
The Soundstream PN4.520D does fit - with about a centimeter to spare. Reference this thread for more details.

Last edited by reesestewww; 04-21-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:08 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by reesestewww
In my research for trying to make a decision on what kind of tunes I'd like to add to my Road King I'm considering a fairing - amongst other options.

IMO Dead Center manufactures the highest quality fairing and if I decide to add a fairing I believe it will be a DC. Does anyone have experience with what size amp can fit inside the DC fairing? I'd like to add a 4ch amp or a 2ch that can run at a 2ohm stereo load. This way I'll have the equipment to power additional rear speakers if and when I decide.....However the MM651's may through a wrench in this at 2.7ohm....But I'll cross that bridge when I get there...

Thanks!
Several companies are using the ARC KS125.2BX which is 8.25" L, 4.8" W, 1.7" H in the DC fairings.

this means that the RF PBR300X2 will fit without a problem and will be a great compliment to the Polk MM651 speakers.

I would also think with the dimensions of the SS PN4.520D amp being 9" L, 4.75" W, 1.5" H should fit as well.

For adding rear speakers later on, the SS would be a better choice and will also handle the Polk MM651 speakers.

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 03-30-2013 at 05:12 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:22 PM
shredder22
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a DC and am running the mm651's and decided to go with the Polk da 250 amp. I had to install it in one of my bags but the match-up with the 651's are great, fantastic clarity and more than enough power for me. The sacrifice of the bag is totally worth it for me. Hope this helps.

Old 03-30-2013, 05:35 PM
reesestewww
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
Several companies are using the ARC KS125.2BX which is 8.25" L, 4.8" W, 1.7" H in the DC fairings.

this means that the RF PBR300X2 will fit without a problem and will be a great compliment to the Polk MM651 speakers.

I would also think with the dimensions of the SS PN4.520D amp being 9" L, 4.75" W, 1.5" H should fit as well.

For adding rear speakers later on, the SS would be a better choice and will also handle the Polk MM651 speakers.
Great info as always! Glad to know the RF PBR300X2 will fit. I may wait to purchase any amp until I have the fairing in hand (if I decide to go this route). My preference is the SS you recommend. however if it doesn't fit I can always power the rear speakers with the head unit if it really comes down to it.

Old 03-30-2013, 05:38 PM
reesestewww
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by shredder22
I have a DC and am running the mm651's and decided to go with the Polk da 250 amp. I had to install it in one of my bags but the match-up with the 651's are great, fantastic clarity and more than enough power for me. The sacrifice of the bag is totally worth it for me. Hope this helps.
Thanks Shredder.

How do you like the fairing? Why did you decide to chose DC over others like Reckless or Dragonfly? Also did you have any buffeting issues that you had to work through after adding it?

I'd hate to add a fairing and in return it causes comfort issues... I'm highjacking my own thread.. haha

Old 03-30-2013, 06:02 PM
shredder22
Road Captain

For me it was the quality, best on the market, pricey but well worth the money. I had them match the paint on the inner also and it came out perfect, I have the two tone sun glow with pin striping and they did a great job. The job looks like original factory, jmo. As far as buffeting there was none, everything installed perfectly. Good luck on your decision.

Old 03-30-2013, 06:28 PM
reesestewww
Outstanding HDF Member

For me it was the quality, best on the market, pricey but well worth the money. I had them match the paint on the inner also and it came out perfect, I have the two tone sun glow with pin striping and they did a great job. The job looks like original factory, jmo. As far as buffeting there was none, everything installed perfectly. Good luck on your decision.
You sound like me. After looking at all the popular fairings excluding Dragonfly at Daytona I felt there was a direct correlation between cost and quality.

Even though, I still debate is the quality worth the extra coin? Yes IMO. Now it's just about saving that coin....

Thanks for you input.

Old 03-30-2013, 06:44 PM
shredder22
Road Captain

Just one more thought, their customer service is second to none. Joel @ DCC was great, even e-mailing me pictures of the painting process as they were finalizing the fairing. Joel even pointed out a small blemish to me and sent it back to be re-painted. Sorry for the elongated reply but when someone does a great job I like to let folks know.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:15 PM
reesestewww
Outstanding HDF Member

Just one more thought, their customer service is second to none. Joel @ DCC was great, even e-mailing me pictures of the painting process as they were finalizing the fairing. Joel even pointed out a small blemish to me and sent it back to be re-painted. Sorry for the elongated reply but when someone does a great job I like to let folks know.
I talked to Joel this week and he was very helpful answering my questions.

Do you know if there's enough room to fit either of the amps the UltaNutz listed?

Thanks

Old 03-30-2013, 08:22 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

FWIW, I purchased a Wide Open Customs fairing for my road king after much debate over the different brands. The main reasons I went with WOC was two fold; good quality, and light as it's ABS like all the other parts on your bike. Had it painted and 2 years later is was still looking like it did when I put it on. Great fairing IMO.

Quick Reply: Dead Center Fairing - Amp Fitment?