Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I wire this combo for speaker level inputs??

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 03:29 PM
FLTpilot
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
I only have 1 question for you:

Are you happy with it? If so, then you're done sir. :-)

Congrats on a good install...

if you took pics, post them up for the others to be able to utilize in their installs..
Haha....! Do I have pix!!?? 6/10'z of my time was documenting! Stand-by for a write-up. I think I'll need to find some web hosting to show them all.

My only worry is if I did the line level input levels correctly (and the amp gains since I don't feel qualified to hear being 52...!

Now for the rear lids... Going to paint now and then check levels with DMM.

Thanks UltraNutZ!

Old 07-19-2013, 05:22 PM
FLTpilot
Advanced

I only have 1 question for you:

Are you happy with it? If so, then you're done sir. :-)

Congrats on a good install...

if you took pics, post them up for the others to be able to utilize in their installs..
Happy??!! Happier than an FLTpilot in a Texas.... Awh, forget it...! :-)

As you said in your PM... The ride will be the test. I only want to try the DMM since the fairing is off and I'm curious to see what it says. Plus, I just got finished painting the lids Blitz Black and need to finish the rear speaker lids so I got some time to kill as they cure. (But that's another topic, for the paint section...!)

Pictures??!! 6/10'z of my time was spent on documentation! I will need web hosting to post them all. I will do a write-up as time permits and post my trials and tribulations.

Thanks again Ultra... And keep the rubber side down.

Film at 11.....

Attached Thumbnails How do I wire this combo for speaker level inputs??-image.jpg  
Old 07-25-2013, 10:52 PM
FLTpilot
Advanced

Well I was all ready to button the fairing up this AM as I got the rear speakers set-up yesterday and set their levels by ear. But I was thinking about what my son had said about having an O-scope (he is an Electrical Engineer student) so I waited for him to get up. THAT was brutal!
Good thing I did because his scope will accept the input voltages generated by the head unit, the line level convertor, and the amps (Soundstream Picasso Nano and RF 300x2).
We hooked it up and played a 1000hz test tune I had recorded for a DMM test but never used. Heres what we found.....

The HK head unit volume level began to show clipping after 13 bars on the volume! This was 2 or three bars LOWER than what I had used to set everything by ear! My boy said it was an odd clipping signal as it was on the backside of the wave. Not the entire top of the wave hacked off!!??
So we decided that 13 bars was my max level on the HK head unit and then set the line level convertor to 4.5 volts out and balanced L & R pots. I was shooting for 5 volts out but for some reason his range was only 4.7 or 4.8. And then we set the Picassos outs, also with the scope, and then we set the RF's gain.
It was very interesting to watch the O-scope climb and finally show clipping. And the amps clipping signal, BTW, was more like the tops and bottom of the wave was hacked off. The amp gains were also pretty touchy so we played for a good amount of time.
Well, I found this technique pretty easy and am REALLY happy now that I waited to get confirmation on my ear-settings vs. O-scope settings. And finding the head units limitation was a lucky stroke!
I wonder if all the HD HK's are this way!!??

Old 07-26-2013, 06:41 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by FLTpilot
Well I was all ready to button the fairing up this AM as I got the rear speakers set-up yesterday and set their levels by ear. But I was thinking about what my son had said about having an O-scope (he is an Electrical Engineer student) so I waited for him to get up. THAT was brutal!
Patience sucks! lol

Good thing I did because his scope will accept the input voltages generated by the head unit, the line level convertor, and the amps (Soundstream Picasso Nano and RF 300x2).
We hooked it up and played a 1000hz test tune I had recorded for a DMM test but never used. Heres what we found.....

The HK head unit volume level began to show clipping after 13 bars on the volume!
yeah this is known.. 75% of volume level on that HK should never be surpassed.

This was 2 or three bars LOWER than what I had used to set everything by ear! My boy said it was an odd clipping signal as it was on the backside of the wave. Not the entire top of the wave hacked off!!??
possible that speaker inputs from head unit were not the correct polarity?

So we decided that 13 bars was my max level on the HK head unit and then set the line level convertor to 4.5 volts out and balanced L & R pots. I was shooting for 5 volts out but for some reason his range was only 4.7 or 4.8. And then we set the Picassos outs, also with the scope, and then we set the RF's gain. It was very interesting to watch the O-scope climb and finally show clipping. And the amps clipping signal, BTW, was more like the tops and bottom of the wave was hacked off. The amp gains were also pretty touchy so we played for a good amount of time. Well, I found this technique pretty easy and am REALLY happy now that I waited to get confirmation on my ear-settings vs. O-scope settings. And finding the head units limitation was a lucky stroke!
I wonder if all the HD HK's are this way!!??
it's great to have someone around that knows how to use all this equipment. Glad you got it all in and setup correctly. Jam on!

Old 07-26-2013, 07:34 AM
FLTpilot
Advanced

Patience sucks! lol

yeah this is known.. 75% of volume level on that HK should never be surpassed.

possible that speaker inputs from head unit were not the correct polarity?

it's great to have someone around that knows how to use all this equipment. Glad you got it all in and setup correctly. Jam on!
Crap! I will have to check the polarity of my wiring but I am über-critical of what I do and even after checking 5 times I check again. And then later I wonder if I checked enough. Thanks for that seed.....:-/ The bass is good on the fronts (upper and lower) so I suspect I am good.

I figured I would go up to max and back off two bars during my 'ear' setup but I guess that is higher than 75%. It was an odd clip signal too, like I said it peaked normal then slashed off toward the downstroke. Possibily a soft clip built in??

Yea, my son knows a lot about electronics and building circuits but little about audio (my hobby - jack<***> of all trades, master of none). We swapped learning processes all morning!

Old 07-26-2013, 07:39 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Crap! I will have to check the polarity of my wiring but I am über-critical of what I do and even after checking 5 times I check again. And then later I wonder if I checked enough. Thanks for that seed.....:-/ The bass is good on the fronts (upper and lower) so I suspect I am good.

I figured I would go up to max and back off two bars during my 'ear' setup but I guess that is higher than 75%. It was an odd clip signal too, like I said it peaked normal then slashed off toward the downstroke. Possibily a soft clip built in??

Yea, my son knows a lot about electronics and building circuits but little about audio (my hobby - jack<***> of all trades, master of none). We swapped learning processes all morning!
You're probably good; was just a thought about the polarity since most clipping will occur at the top and bottom of the wave as your son already knows.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:11 AM
FLTpilot
Advanced

You're probably good; was just a thought about the polarity since most clipping will occur at the top and bottom of the wave as your son already knows.
I guess I misspoke....

The clipping was at the top and bottom of the waveform as drawn in the pic (We did not think to screenshot that!)... It was just different as the wave would top out (and bottom out) and then distort on the down/up curve (I only drew it on the first wave but they were all this way)...

All the waves were squiggly on his scope and he said it was just noise but not from the cycle andio system.

The scope pix are...

1 - My drawing of the HK clipping at ABOVE 13 bars volume.
2 - The HK head unit at 13 bars volume
3 - The clipped signal of the Picasso amp on the lower fairing speakers
4 - The adjusted signal on the RF 300x2 amp of the rear speakers

Attached Thumbnails How do I wire this combo for speaker level inputs??-screen-shot-2013-07-26-at-10.53.56-am-b.jpg   How do I wire this combo for speaker level inputs??-screen-shot-2013-07-26-at-10.53.56-am.jpg   How do I wire this combo for speaker level inputs??-screen-shot-2013-07-26-at-10.54.07-am.jpg   How do I wire this combo for speaker level inputs??-screen-shot-2013-07-26-at-10.54.40-am.jpg