Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Official 2014 audio upgrade thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 07:40 PM
Bikerscum
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

A couple of us on the other thread mentioned have tried modifying the file, but the bike won't load the modified version. It gives an invalid file error, there is some CRC checksum checking, or something going on there. I tried it with a couple different ISO image compilers, no luck.

I think someone could make some $$$ if they can conquer that issue.

Old 05-28-2015, 01:24 AM
HogPilot54
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by HDWI65
I have a 2014 ultra limited, and started with a boom audio system (disappointment), then tried Biketronics 4 channel 180 Watt amp, 7.1 front speakers, and 6.5 rear spespeakers (which I had on old bike and love love loved it) but just could not get good sound quality because of DSP. I then found cycle sounds 4 channel 90 watt amp with 6.5 front and rear speakers, with their magic box (flashed back to factory stock settings)and WOW, for about $675, an amazing system!!!
I've heard more negative comments on this forum about the magic box than positive comments. So, I'm still not sure about trying them.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:22 AM
CaptainKirk
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Well it was there......

Well that's odd...... I just looked and it's not there anymore...... There used to be a data sheet on there that advised how to have the dealer flash the head unit. I have it printed but it's at home. I'll try to scan and upload it over the weekend. I suspect they took it down because the HD firmware version seems to be affecting how the flash turns out. It's working good for me although I did lose the automatic volume control when stopping......

Originally Posted by HogPilot54
Can't answer your question but have one of my own... what exactly is the "recommended Rockford Fosgate settings" for the dealer flash? I just installed two RF300x2 amps in my 15 Ultra and can't find anything on their website related to a recommended flash.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:42 AM
Ultra2014
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sorry to bother.

Originally Posted by HDWI65
I have a 2014 ultra limited, and started with a boom audio system (disappointment), then tried Biketronics 4 channel 180 Watt amp, 7.1 front speakers, and 6.5 rear spespeakers (which I had on old bike and love love loved it) but just could not get good sound quality because of DSP. I then found cycle sounds 4 channel 90 watt amp with 6.5 front and rear speakers, with their magic box (flashed back to factory stock settings)and WOW, for about $675, an amazing system!!!
I also have a 14 Ultra Limited.
Any fitment issues, speakers? Was it plug and play or did you have to slpice wires? Part numbers and where you purchased?
Would like to try. Seems like about 1/3 the price I'm looking at and sounds like you have it figured out

Old 05-28-2015, 08:11 AM
bucko72
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have a 2014 ultra limited.
I too went with the full cycle sounds set up with magic box. You still notice a difference in sound with the bike off compared to running but it is not a big difference any more. I tried just the speakers first but lost all bass while bike was running without the box.
Hogpilot54, they have a 30 day money back guarantee so the only thing you would be out is your time if you are willing to try.
Ultra2014, cylcesounds.com for amp, speakers and grills for the front, and magic box. I bought the rear speaker harness from v-twin audio along with their remote turn on wire that made it plug and play, just run new wires from amp to front speakers, no fade control with the magic box. Customer service and support were great. Hope this helps.

Last edited by bucko72; 05-28-2015 at 08:15 AM.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:02 AM
HogPilot54
Tourer

Originally Posted by CaptainKirk
Well that's odd...... I just looked and it's not there anymore...... There used to be a data sheet on there that advised how to have the dealer flash the head unit. I have it printed but it's at home. I'll try to scan and upload it over the weekend. I suspect they took it down because the HD firmware version seems to be affecting how the flash turns out. It's working good for me although I did lose the automatic volume control when stopping......
Thanks. I'd like to see it if you can upload it. I wonder why they haven't re-posted their recommended flash. Is this whole HD flash issue really that screwed up? I really would prefer to do the flash over the magic box but now I'm wondering if I should just do the box. I don't want to risk making a 1 1/2 hour ride down to the nearest dealer only to have them screw up the flash.

Old 05-28-2015, 01:48 PM
2deuceguy
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Just an FYI for you guys. I have the full cycle sounds setup in my 14 SGS. It sounded better than stock but I just wasn't happy with the results. A couple days ago just to see I removed the magic box and wired it up direct to the head unit. I'm still on the factory flash. My volume doubled with no noticeable distortion. I ended up having to turn the gain down to about halfway. Now on the highway it's borderline too loud at a touch over half volume. Before I had it almost cranked to hear it comfortably on the highway. There still isn't much bass (it is a 6 1/2 after all) but on the right song it'll vibrate the mirrors. Hope this helps someone.

Old 05-28-2015, 02:03 PM
Racin929
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by cjwanner2000
Just an FYI for you guys. I have the full cycle sounds setup in my 14 SGS. It sounded better than stock but I just wasn't happy with the results. A couple days ago just to see I removed the magic box and wired it up direct to the head unit. I'm still on the factory flash. My volume doubled with no noticeable distortion. I ended up having to turn the gain down to about halfway. Now on the highway it's borderline too loud at a touch over half volume. Before I had it almost cranked to hear it comfortably on the highway. There still isn't much bass (it is a 6 1/2 after all) but on the right song it'll vibrate the mirrors. Hope this helps someone.
Let me see if I understand this.
You have an aftermarket amp, and speakers.
You have no custom flash. (still stock from factory)
And the system works perfectly?
Is this right?

Old 05-28-2015, 02:26 PM
HogPilot54
Tourer

Originally Posted by cjwanner2000
I'm still on the stock flash also (no magic box). Plenty of volume but the bass is lacking. Bass is OK sitting still with the engine off, but running down the road, bass is weak. Just wonder if getting the flash will help with the bass. Is the lack of bass a DSP issue in the HU? Will disabling the HU amp with the custom flash give me more bass, or is this a different issue?

Old 05-28-2015, 04:52 PM
2deuceguy
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Racin929
Let me see if I understand this.
You have an aftermarket amp, and speakers.
You have no custom flash. (still stock from factory)
And the system works perfectly?
Is this right?
Yes that is correct. I read somewhere on here somebody else had these results so I figured it wouldn't hurt to try. It sounds better and way more volume than with the magic box. I have the cycle sounds 6 1/2 speakers and the cycle sounds 4 channel amp. I really have nothing to compare the bass to but I believe it's better than stock. One thing I did notice, which if I understand right it's common, is that my FM is not coming in very good. I normally listen to pandora through Bluetooth though. I bought this bike new and it's been to the dealer once but to my knowledge its never been flashed.

Quick Reply: The Official 2014 audio upgrade thread