Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Official 2014 audio upgrade thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 12:38 PM
brunswickoh
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Put about a hundred miles on the bike now since adding the amp and speakers, I like it. Sound is good, plenty loud and clear at 80 on the highway. I did pull all the speakers today and add some Polyfil around each of them. Not sure what it will or wont change but for some reason I felt compelled to do it. For about $300 total investment I like the setup.

The following users liked this post:
tomkrebs54 (01-22-2017)
Old 10-23-2013, 02:30 PM
MontyCop05
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by brunswickoh
Put about a hundred miles on the bike now since adding the amp and speakers, I like it. Sound is good, plenty loud and clear at 80 on the highway. I did pull all the speakers today and add some Polyfil around each of them. Not sure what it will or wont change but for some reason I felt compelled to do it. For about $300 total investment I like the setup.
Make a point to get to the dealer and have them flash your headunit for use with an amp. Same as they would do if you added the boom upgraded system. Your sound will improve even more.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:44 PM
brunswickoh
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will do that when they have it in for the recall, thanks!

Old 10-23-2013, 08:10 PM
UppercaseJC
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MontyCop05
Make a point to get to the dealer and have them flash your headunit for use with an amp. Same as they would do if you added the boom upgraded system. Your sound will improve even more.
Why? Is there a real technical reason for doing this? What would the flash do?

Old 10-24-2013, 01:59 AM
MontyCop05
Road Master

Originally Posted by UppercaseJC
Yes. See the first post in this thread....

Old 10-24-2013, 06:52 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Great post Chris.. This is going up in the Sticky Section.

Especially like this part;
"Bill also told me that filling the front speaker pods with lose polyfill really improves speaker response. Especially on the low end. He was quite surprised how well it worked in these new pods."

Not sure how many times I've had conversations with Bill about Polyfil and he's always been against it's use. It's a tried and true method (since the 70s) for improving sound quality and bass response in an environment not so well suited for a particular speaker regardless of size. The problem comes in when too much of it is used!

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 10-24-2013 at 04:06 PM.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:32 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by UppercaseJC
As MC pointed out, yes there is a technical reason for it and it's the Digital Signal Processor built into the head unit that is optimized for use ONLY with the stock speakers. If you brought your bike in to a dealer to have Boom Audio speakers and amp installed, they would still flash your stock head unit to disable the DSP features to allow for a better sounding investment. Same applies to aftermarket on these new bikes with the 6.5 Infotainment systems.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:48 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

adjustments have also been made to the DSP program for the J&M ROKKER XTP amplifiers to enhance the performance of the speakers used, whether stock Harley, Harley BOOM upgrades OR the new J&M ROKKER XX 6.65" speakers for the new 2014s ,,,,,,

see http://www.jmcorp.com/SeeProducts.asp?PF=49 ,,,,,,,

there is so much we can do now electronically to tune the audio system for highway use, and do this with virtually any possible combination of speakers the rider may install on his/her motorcycle ,,,,, see http://www.jmcorp.com/static/rokker-downloads.htm ,,,,

I am getting this program download page updated daily now and should have it complete in another week or so ,,,,,

the "magma" has finally started to move under the crust ,,, LOL ,,,,,,,,

Old 10-24-2013, 09:32 PM
hanny
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish I would of saw this thread before, lol. But funny how a lot of guys think alike. My sound is loud but some music the speakers cant take much bass, even cranked all the way down its still distorted with much volume.
I trashed the kickers and put in hi end polks and still have the alpine mrv-400.
I like the 6x9 option and cant wait till that comes available, anyway to know the launch date????? . Since I listen to all types of stuff its hard to get the sound just right. I added polyfill like I would on sub boxes and not sure if it was much better but that's hard to say really. great thread!!!!!!!!!!!!! great thread !!!!!! paul

Old 10-24-2013, 11:46 PM
MontyCop05
Road Master

Originally Posted by hanny
I like the 6x9 option and cant wait till that comes available, anyway to know the launch date?????
Cycle Sounds has stated that none if their 14' related items will be available until after Feb 14' (supposed unveil at the V-Twin Expo). All the items on their website are computer generated propaganda at this point. Theories. If Ultra Nutz is paying attention, I'll ask him to chime in on this. I brought those adapters to his attention and he took the bull by the horns and actually spoke with the owner of CC. The results he shared with me after weren't all that confidence inspiring to say the least...

Last edited by MontyCop05; 10-25-2013 at 07:08 AM.

Quick Reply: The Official 2014 audio upgrade thread